The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Use Driving license as a Debit card: National Payment Card

by abdmal9 / May 18, 2007 5:08 PM PDT

Duuuuuuuuude!

What about people who dont have a license???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use Driving license as a Debit card: National Payment Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use Driving license as a Debit card: National Payment Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No problem.
by punterjoe / May 18, 2007 9:29 PM PDT

Same card. It would just be a license to buy, not a license to drive. Still a problem for people without bank accts. I've been told they're out there.
ONE CARD TO RULE THEM ALL!
seriously, I'm with Molly on this. It's D.O.A. Too many toes being stepped on (or more accurately, fingers in our pockets being crushed). The megabanks have too much invested in the status quo to let this happen.

Collapse -
license to kill? HAHAHA
by abdmal9 / May 20, 2007 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: No problem.
Happy
Collapse -
Major Issues to solve
by Renegade Knight / May 21, 2007 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem.

Ignoring stepped on toes you have to have it be useful.

One usability thing is that I would need it to tie it into any of several accounts. Accounts that change over time, or let me pick from a list of active accounts.

Then there is the lost card issue. Not quite as simple as replacing a debit card.

Collapse -
Just overusage would be a problem
by dmdzine / May 21, 2007 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Major Issues to solve

If there's one card that you use to swipe everything, it wouldn't take long for that magnetic strip to get worn down. I have a credit card that I use for every purchase (to get FF miles, then pay off each month). The card's barely a year old and it's already needing a replacement. I can imagine using one card for everything would have a similar result.

What makes matters worse is that after it's worn down you have to go get a new license, and it's not like the people who work at the DMV are the best-staffed or efficient offices in the world. Getting your driver's license renewed in Colorado is a painful experience. It's tough enough to go once every 10 years - let alone once every 1-2 years.

Collapse -
Driver's License as a Debit Card

FYI the Wal-Mart and Sears Suit against the Card Association "Honor All Card Rules" opened the door for an alternative payment Network to arise. National Paymentcard LLC and Joe Randazza and his Partner Danny Portal have developed the technology and applied for the patents to offer this technology to the US Merchant base. As it is now the Card Associations own the cash flow of US Businesses. And will increase fees (Interchange) until a Market Mechanism changes that.

I believe this mechanism is that way to leverage the Free Market to change this payment paradigm. A self funded Reward Mechanism tied to an ACH Payment solution. My name is Randall Shake. I am the CEO of ACH PAY LLC in Dallas, Texas. We are the exclusive Marketing partner to National Payment Card in the ISO market. This is not a government mandated program. It is an opportunity for US Merchants to provide a Loyalty mechanism and eliminate the Discount rate they pay the Card Associations now.

Randall Shake
CEO
ACH PAY LLC

Collapse -
Info Anxiety
by Kurt Kasson / April 30, 2008 2:12 AM PDT

After some weeks of trepidation, I've signed up to use my driver's license as a credit card. Saving 10 cents a gallon was enough incentive to make me take the leap. I now feel rather vulnerable, having given my banking details to a company I know nothing about. I have no idea how secure this info is in the hands of the payment card company. I shudder to think that they may be unscrupulous in any way or that a hacker might enter their system and extract enough banking information to bankrupt a whole bunch of users.
Can anyone tell me anything that will make me feel more secure about what I've just done?

Collapse -
ACH transaction limits
by fwright48 / July 17, 2008 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Info Anxiety

Kurt -

Many protections exist to keep your accounts from being unexpectedly drained by unauthorized ACH/EFT transactions. Obviously the company itself (National Payment Card) is bound by several auditing agencies such as SAS70 and NACHA.

Of course, you must be vigilant on your own - monitor your checking account online to look for unexpected daily transactions. There are several safeguards built into ACH/EFT that limit your exposure to risk:

* $75 to $100 per transaction (determined by merchant)
* 3 transactions per day
* $150 daily amount
* 8 transactions per week
* $500 weekly amount

Hope this helps a little bit.

Now my big problem is finding a list of gas stations that accept this form of payment!

Frederick

Collapse -
LESS SAVINGS
by Kurt Kasson / July 17, 2008 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: ACH transaction limits

Thanks for your reassurance, Frederick.

My only complaint since going ahead with the driver's license as credit card deal is that the original savings was 10 cents per gallon. This has been cut back to 5 cents. I don't think I'd have been lured into it initially for a 5 cent savings. It's still better than nothing.

As it turns out, the card company notifies me by email within an hour of each transaction asking me to be sure I have money in my account to pay for my recent purchase.

I too, would love to have a list of gas stations using the service.

Kurt

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.