Mac OS forum

Question

Use 27' iMac as monitor

by lesparapluies / September 17, 2012 10:01 AM PDT

I will shortly be replacing my "mirror-door" dual-boot G4 with a new 27-inch iMac. I've always used the G4 with the Apple 20-inch cinema display (it works perfectly well with both OS9 and OS X despite anything you've read to the contrary). I have a couple of programs which will only run in OS9 (must be native, not Classic) so I will keep the G4 for this purpose, but I don't have room for two displays. OK, here's the question - is there any way that the new 27-inch iMac can act as a monitor for the G4 running OS9 for the few occasions I will still need OS9? I know it can be used as a remote monitor for OS X using special adaptor cables...but OS9? Any information appreciated. Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use 27' iMac as monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use 27' iMac as monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try this recent discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2012 10:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
by lesparapluies / September 17, 2012 7:08 PM PDT

Hello, thanks for your response. However, what I was asking was the reverse of what is featured in the link - I wish to use the 27" iMac as a monitor for an older computer, not to use an older computer as a second monitor for the iMac. Also, when I said "new iMac" it was maybe misleading - I'm intending to find one of the late 2009 / 2010 models which, according to various discussions, has video-in capabilities. My G4 has DVI and VGA outs, so it would need to from one of these to the MiniDisplay in, if I've got that right? Thanks

Collapse -
We covered that in that discussion too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2012 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Just thought I'd re-use the answers. From what I've seen, it is possible with VNC to get at the headless computer. So primary or second, same ideas, same apps.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.