Computer Newbies

General discussion

USBSTOR.SYS

by coeurdalene / February 21, 2006 8:02 AM PST

For 2 years I have successfully viewed my photos on the computer. I have a Canon Powershot A 80. I plugged in the camera to the computer as usual, heard the little clink, but no hint of pictures. I went to My Computer and Digtal Camera is not displayed. I then tried a card reader. Same result and the error message I receive is: The file, USBSTOR.SYS or (unknown) is needed etc. I put in the Camera CD, it ran, but it didn't seem to add anythiing and neither the camera reader or viewing program are working. I appreciate any guidance. Thanks. Judie

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USBSTOR.SYS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USBSTOR.SYS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Judie, Which Operating System? USB Drivers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 21, 2006 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: USBSTOR.SYS
Collapse -
USBSTOR.SYS
by coeurdalene / February 22, 2006 5:12 AM PST

Grif, I'm sorry I forgot my OS. Yes it is XP. I searched for c\1386 and it said it wasn't a valid folder, so I tried c/1386 and nothing was found. Should i be looking somewhere else?

I haven't delved into the first 2 links which I will also do. Thanks. Judie

Collapse -
Make The Folder Designation Correct
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2006 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: USBSTOR.SYS

When typing in a folder location, be sure to place a "colon" after the drive letter so it looks like this:

C:\I386

Besides, you should be able to find it manually by using Windows Explorer and navigating to the "C:\I386\USBSTOR.SY_" file. Copying and pasting it to the correct location, then renaming it to "USBSTOR.SYS" should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
''USBSTOR.SYS''
by coeurdalene / February 22, 2006 10:21 AM PST

I searched for ''C:\1386USBSTOR.SYS'' in various forms and the response I get is (C:\1386 refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to see that the disk is inserted properly or that you are connected to the internet. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.) Does that give you any hints? Judie

Collapse -
It Appears Like The Hard Drive Can't Be Used..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2006 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: ''USBSTOR.SYS''

You'll need to borrow an XP Pro CD per the previous posts.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I searched for ''C:\1386. . .
by Cursorcowboy / February 22, 2006 8:15 PM PST
In reply to: ''USBSTOR.SYS''

Isn't it C:\(eye)386. Not a numeric one.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good Point Bill, It IS The Letter I (eye) 386
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2006 11:14 PM PST
Collapse -
c:\i386
by coeurdalene / February 23, 2006 12:39 PM PST

Thank your for the (i). I did find C:\i386.I found Drivers and a number of other items, but no USBSTOR.SY. You mentioned inserting XP Pro. I use the home edition and I have inserted that disk with no success.

Thanks.......Judie

Collapse -
SFC.
by Cursorcowboy / February 23, 2006 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: c:\i386

1. Set your system so you can see what it contains by starting Windows Explorer and on the Tools menu, click Folder Options. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK. If a warning dialog box appears, click Yes to continue.

2. Run ''Scannow sfc'' to see what comes out in the wash. In addition, be advised that you may use SFC to extract files from the i386 WinXP disc and put them where you want them also. I would suggest that you always copy the file being replaced to a safe location before the actual replacement just in case you're replacing a more recent version.

Collapse -
SFC
by coeurdalene / February 25, 2006 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: SFC.

I read through the Scannow sfc and how badly can I mess up my computer if I get in there and don't know what I'm doing? I am so new at trying to fix my problems and I really don't understand what I'm doing, other than reading and doing what I'm told.
There is a paragraph in Scannow that states "other problems in Scannow".

Has the CD Drive's drive letter changed (perhaps by the addition of another hard drive, partition, or removable drive) since Windows XP was first installed? If so, simply edit the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath to reflect the changed drive letter.
After you restart the computer, WFP and sfc /scannow uses the new source path instead of prompting for the Windows XP installation CD-ROM

Now I have to tellyou I do not know how to edit the registry key to reflect the changed letter drive etc.

Am I best just staying away from running scannow?? Thanks. Judie

Collapse -
Registry edit unnecessary.
by Cursorcowboy / February 25, 2006 9:03 PM PST
In reply to: SFC

In reference to your second and third paragraph, that is nothing more than the recommendation of that site to keep you from being prompted to furnish the source CD during a scan when it is determined that the Windows disc is necessary -- that being annoying perhaps -- and has nothing to do with an actual SFC run.

IMHO, you should learn and use SFC each time a major piece of software has been installed or uninstalled.

I forgot to mention that scannow sfc mentions inserting the XP Pro disk. I have XP Home. Is Scannow for the Home Edition also?

So, the example(s) from that site used an XPPro screen shot. If you run SFC and your system should prompt for the CD, what does it ask for?

Collapse -
P.S, to my sfc reply
by coeurdalene / February 25, 2006 1:36 AM PST

I forgot to mention that scannow sfc mentions inserting the XP Pro disk. I have XP Home. Is Scannow for the Home Edition also?
Judie

Collapse -
Judie, You Need To Get The Pro Disk
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2006 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: P.S, to my sfc reply

If the computer originally came with XP PRO installed, then the XP Home CD won't perform the necessary things you need..

HOpe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Pro Disk
by coeurdalene / February 25, 2006 7:02 AM PST

Somewhere I miscommunicated. I never did have XP Pro. In fact, my computer came with windows ME, I think and I had XP Home installed later.
Judie

Collapse -
Irrelevant, If It Asks For XP Pro...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2006 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Pro Disk

..then it clearly needs that version.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif and Cursorcowboy
by coeurdalene / February 27, 2006 11:30 AM PST

I performed the Scannow and out of the 861 found problems, I am down to 683 with the free scan. In your opinions, should I subscribe to the full program or just have my hard drive formatted?

Question #2:
I am 65 years old and not exactly techy. Grif you wrote:
C:\I386

Besides, you should be able to find it manually by using Windows Explorer and navigating to the ''C:\I386\USBSTOR.SY_'' file. Copying and pasting it to the correct location, then renaming it to ''USBSTOR.SYS'' should do the trick.

I don't understand any of this....particularly pasting it to the correct location and renaming it. How do I know the correct location and what to name it? Can you explain to me word by word....step by step, just what this is and how to do it? If time doesn't allow for this, or it's too elementary, I understand. Thanks for all the help. Judie

Collapse -
Judie, You May Need Help At Your Location...But
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: Grif and Cursorcowboy

..step by step:

RIGHT click on "Start", choose "Explore". When the Explorer window loads, looking on the left side of the window, double click directly on the "i386" folder which resides on the "C" drive. Now look on the right side of the windows and find the "USBSTOR.SY_" file that should be there. RIGHT click directly on the file, choose "Copy".

Now, looking on the left side again, scroll down and click on the + sign next to the "Windows" folder, then scroll and click on the + sign next to the "System32" folder, then double click directly on the "Drivers" folder. Now look on the right side of the window. Scroll to the bottom of the files listed there and RIGHT click on a blank area of the window, choose "Paste". A copy of the "USBSTOR.SY_" should be pasted there. Now to rename it. RIGHT click directly on the file, choose "Rename", then type "USBSTOR.SYS". Then click on a blank area of the screen to make the file name permanant. If it asks you: "Changing the name may make the file unusable, are you sure you want to change it?". Choose "YES/OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Explorer and i386
by coeurdalene / February 27, 2006 2:42 PM PST

Great instructions so far. I didn't find i386 so I did a search and it was in c:windows service pak files.There at the bottom of that I found USBSTOR (usb mass storage class driver) It isn't followed by SY-. Should I copy it out of there? When I copy it, it still stays in that original folder, doesn't it?

By the way when I did scannow, I had to click on show hidden files and uncheck clear hide protected files. I assumed that I should go back in and re-do those as they were prior to the scan. Should I have done that?

I'm really appreciating this help. Judie

Collapse -
Leave ALL Files Showing
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Explorer and i386

...There's no need to return the Folder Options/View selections back. (I like seeing all files and file extensions.) And you'll want to be able to see the file extensions as well so UNCHECK the "hide extensions for known file types" box as well.

Yes, copying the "usbstor.sys" file from the C\Windows\Service Pack Files\i386 folder is just fine. Pasting a copy of the file in the "Drivers" folder per my previous post will leave the original in the original location and place copy in the new location. Files will now be in both places.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Still trying to move usbstor to drivers folder
by coeurdalene / February 28, 2006 4:57 AM PST

Grif, as I said, I found UBSTOR in Windows Service Pak Files.
1. Your email directs me to click the plus sign next to the Windows Folder. When I do that the only folder that appears says "System". You asked for "System 32" which isn't there. When I double click on "System", The screen on the right is totally blank.

The folder below "System" is Drivers and when I double click that the ATI Raedeon Folder appears on the right side, and that is all.

Without "System 32" folder, What should I do? Thanks, Judie

Collapse -
Judie, Wrong Windows Folder
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 5:21 AM PST

Follow the path I described correctly. ON XP, there is a 'wrong" Windows folder that resides in C\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Windows. Please ignore that one.

You need to find the Windows folder that resides at the "C\Windows location. Inside, there will be a number of folders and files including the "System32" folder and inside that will be the "Drivers' folder.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
USBSTOR paste completed but unsuccessful
by coeurdalene / March 2, 2006 1:50 AM PST

Good Morning,

The latest in this saga is that I did follow your directions too a T, I think.
this is what I did.

Went to Explorer, looked on the left side but no i386 folder, opened Windows folder, Service Pak and there was i386. ( I did a search for it). I right clicked on USBSTOR...there was no .SYS..., I copied thae USBSTOR, went to System 32, Drivers File and Right clicked to copy there, and a message came up to say there already was a USBSTOR there and did I want to replace it. I chose ''NO'' and renamed the one that was there to USBSTOR.SYS. I did not get a message saying that changing the name may make the file unustable. I rebooted the computer just to be sure. After that, I could do nothing in my computer. I tried to go to Start, Explore to change the file name back but couldn't get into that. The bright blue screen came up saying they needed to shut me down. Then it dawned on me that I was connected by way of USB, so I unhooked that and went with the battery and I went in and reversed what I did with USBSTOR and I am now running with the USB connection again. Obviously I did something wrong. What do you think???

Thank you once again. Judie

Collapse -
Wrong Choice....Not Followed To A "T"..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 2:15 AM PST

First, when it asked you: "Do you want to replace the file?", since that's the intention of copying a new one there, you should have chosen "Yes". That would have replaced the corrupted "usbstor.sys" file with the new one.

Next, as I stated earlier, you need to see the file extensions of all the files you are dealing with. It appears like you still haven't changed that option in Windows Explorer. (Open Windows Explorer, click on Tools, choose "Folder Options", then clickon the "View" tab. UNCHECK the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types", click on "apply", then OK.) There are usually a couple different files in the System32 folder that begin with the "USBSTOR" name. (USBSTOR.INF & USBSTOR.SYS) The difference is they have different file extension names. (The last three letters after the dot.) It appears like you may have renamed the wrong "USBSTOR" file.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Wrong Choice Reply
by coeurdalene / March 3, 2006 4:52 AM PST

OK, Grif, I think I followed it now. It's in the Driver folder as USBSTOR.SYS and also in the i386 folder. The USBSTOR.SYS in the i386 folder is not in caps, but in the Drivers Folder it appears in caps. Is this the way it should be? It's the only one in that folder in caps, but I right clicked on the one in i386, hit copy and then pasted in the Drivers Folder.

1. Should the i386 folder be in the Service Pak Files Folder?

2.. Another related issue. The reason I needed to get the usbstor.sys was because the computer gave that error message and wouldn't recognize the camera. Now, the computer is recognizing the camera, but now the message I get is the usbscan.sys is needed. I went to i386 and usbscan.sys is there and I went to System 32--Drivers and it's also there. Do I try the same procedure with that as I did with usbstor.sys??

Thanks. Judie

Collapse -
Judie, Very Good..You're Getting There..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: Wrong Choice Reply

Answers to your questions:

1. The 'i386" folder resides in two or three different places..One is directly on the C: drive at C:\i386 assuming that it was installed there with your default installation..(Sometimes that doesn't occur but usually it does. Another is at C\Windows\Service Pack Files\i386 path. The "Service Pack Files" location is actually the best spot to find a good backup file. Because it came with the newest service pack on your computer it is usually the most recent version of the file you need. Make copies there.

2. Yes, follow the same procedure..Access the "C\Windows\Service Pack Files\i386 folder, RIGHT click on the "usbscan.sys" file, choose "Copy", then go to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder and "Paste" it there.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I'm getting there............
by coeurdalene / March 3, 2006 1:23 PM PST

Grif thanks for your confidence and your help. I did the usbscan.sys the same way but the camera still brings up the same error message. As I looked into the 'drivers folder, I noticed that the date modified on both usbstor and usbscan that I copied into it, says 2004, so I don't know if I'm really accomplishing what I set out to do. I'm going to have the hard drive formatted, but I will save all this correspondence so that i can keep studying it. I really appreciate all the help. Judie

Collapse -
Expanding System files from CD
by jtob2 / February 28, 2006 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Grif and Cursorcowboy

Hi,

I may be incorrect but I think that the system files in the I386 directory are actually compressed and cannot be restored by a simple copy and paste. See the following information on using the "Expand" function in Command line mode to restore the files.

http://www.winxptutor.com/expand.htm

If I am incorrect, please let me know but I have used the following method with success in the past.

Thanks,

Jim

Collapse -
Jim, First, We're Not Doing It From CD..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 5:28 AM PST

..and copying and pasting from the i386 folder on the hard drive works just fine.

Plus you are INCORRECT..I just used a Windows XP SP2 HOME CD and could easily copy and paste the 'usbstor.sy_' directly from the i386 folder on the CD to my desktop.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Jim, First, We're Not Doing It From CD..
by jtob2 / February 28, 2006 6:32 AM PST

Thanks Grif - I stand corrected.

Do you know if this also works for the inf files as well?

I have always used the method referenced with success but copy and paste and a name change is certainly simpler.

Jim

Collapse -
Inf Files Are Basic Text Files..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 8:47 AM PST

..which give instructions for drivers, etc. You can double click on the "inf" files that reside in the "i386" folder and see what they're instructions say. They also can be copied and pasted if one is missing..

In the case of the older Windows 98 and ME "cab" files, they indeed needed to be "extracted" from the "CABs" because of their compressed nature.. No "copy" option was given.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.