Computer Help forum

General discussion

USB1 to USB2, is there a way ?

by Sharif / January 4, 2005 10:43 PM PST

Hi everybody
Happy New Year

My computer has USB 1 Is there a way to upgrade this to USB 2 ?? As I bought a USB flash disk & when I pluged it a window popped up saying that: "There is no HI-SPEED USB controller installed in this computer, & that I must add a HI-SPEED USB controller to obtain maximum performance".

So is there a way to upgrade my USB 1 to USB 2? As most of the product now support the USB 2. Is there a driver I have to download??
What is installed in my computer as Universal Serial Bus Controllers is the: Intel(r) 82801 AA USB Universal Host Controller.

Looking forward to receiving your kind reply & help
Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB1 to USB2, is there a way ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB1 to USB2, is there a way ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes and No
by Yew / January 5, 2005 12:23 AM PST

You can't magically turn a USB 1.1 controller into a USB 2.0 controller via software. You can however buy PCI cards which contain USB 2.0 ports on it. It's not as good a solution as having them directly on the motherboard, because they have to share the PCI bus bandwidth with all the other devices, but it's still far better than USB 1.1. You can always buy a USB hub if you don't like having to plug in everything on the back.

Your only other option is to buy a new motherboard.

Collapse -
Yes and No USB1.1 toUSB2.0
by mir / January 6, 2005 6:59 PM PST
In reply to: Yes and No

Thanks yewanchors
I had the same question. Will buying a USB hub just as good as getting a new motherboard then?
Mir.

Collapse -
No
by Yew / January 6, 2005 9:13 PM PST

A USB hub still has to connect to a USB port on the motherboard. So it doesn't matter if you get a USB 2.0 hub, it's still going to be limited to 1.1 speeds.

Think of hubs like phone splitters. If you have a dialup connection, it doesn't matter how many phone jacks you have, you still only have a 56K connection.

Collapse -
hubs cannot go faster than port; add card, not motherboard
by sirsmall / January 6, 2005 11:01 PM PST

A hub connected to USB 1.1 (or 1.0) cannot go faster than USB 1.1, even if it is certified for USB 2.0. Also, many items will require an externally powered hub since the current coming from the USB port through the hub is generally not enough to drive the device.

I've seen some very cheap USB 2.0 PCI cards on eBay, offering 4 ports. You must have a spare PCI slot on your motherboard and be willing to open your computer case. If you have a laptop, you can get a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, but check to see whether it will be able to power your device without an additional power supply.

I would not advise upgrading your motherboard just to get USB 2.0 ports. There are new or refurbished computers with USB 2.0 ports available for under $300. Your existing memory and other components probably won't work on a new motherboard.

Whether you need to upgrade to USB 2.0 is dependent on what you want to do. Most devices except external DVD writers and a few other devices will work on USB 1.1--just slower. Depending on the size of the files you are planning to store in the flash memory and the frequency you plan to do so, you might find that upgrading is not worth the effort.

Collapse -
PCI - USB 2.0 Card
by Richard36 / January 6, 2005 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: Yes and No

I installed a PCI card to obtain 2.0 performance for my external hard drive. It was well worth the $20!

Collapse -
USB
by Daniel32 / January 6, 2005 10:46 PM PST

I tried adding a USB hub first, and did not notice much improvement. Then I installed a PCI card to upgrade to 2.0, with better results. This was on a Gateway PII-233Mz [66 bus], so, like the ads say, "your results may vary"!

Collapse -
by skeeter537 / January 6, 2005 11:27 PM PST

If you are comfortable with installing PCI cards, i.e. sound and video cards, in your computer then your easiest solution would be to buy and install a USB 2.0 PCI card. The cards are fairly inexpensive and if you have worked on your computer before the fix is cheap. If you are not familiar with installing or are not confident in doing work in your computer then I would suggest bringing it to a local computer repair shop. The cost would be more but far less than updating your entire computer.

Collapse -
USB 1 to USB 2
by 1billy1 / January 7, 2005 12:29 AM PST

I recently had a computer crash using Widows ME and upgraded to XP Pro. After buying some external devices was receiving the same messages. I purchased a 2.0 PCI card for my computer and installed it in 5 minutes. XP will install drivers automatically. A simple job and easy to do if you are comfortable with working inside your computer. The new devices work at three times the speed of a 1.0 USB port.

Collapse -
upgrade USB ports
by Dobby / January 7, 2005 12:54 AM PST
Collapse -
by V_Cox / January 7, 2005 7:17 AM PST

I just bought a USB 2 card from OfficeMax for about $30.
It comes with everything you need to install and run it.
It plugs into a PCI slot inside your computer.
Just read the instructions BEFORE you install it.
Driver first, then the USB 2 ports.

Collapse -
Yes and it is not hard to do.
by Silver Leaf / January 7, 2005 7:55 AM PST

First of all let me say I am NOT a computer wiz BUT I upgraded my 3 yr old PC by adding a card into a spare slot inside and the sofware came with the board (USB 1 to 2) I went to a compter store that builds computers and they directed me to my options. The hardware cost about $14.00 It was not difficult at all. One point, you must remember (if you open your casing) ground your body somehow to the casing. Static electricty can do damage to some of the boards.Should you feel uneasy about doing this, a local computer store shouldn't charge any more than say $5 to $10 extra if you brought your unit in.

Collapse -
Anyone have an answer to this problem?
by Marv Frankel / January 7, 2005 5:40 PM PST

I needed to add USB 2.0 to a few year old HP desktop, to support a Plextor ConvertX device. Installing a 5-port PCI card was no problem, and the drivers installed perfectly. All of my devices work off those new ports except my Epson R300 printer, which had been working fine off the USB 1.1 ports for 6 months. Now, when I plug the printer into a new 2.0 port and turn it on, I get the Blue Screen of Death, and have to disconnect the printer and reboot. If I plug it into one of the 1.1 ports it now doen't work at all. I know the printer is O.K., because I can drive it off my laptop with no problem. Help me solve this mystery.

Collapse -
USB port?
by McQ / January 7, 2005 10:51 PM PST

It appears that you have had this problem for a month or so and I doubt that I can add anything to what has already been said/thought about regarding this issue. If you have uninstalled the printer and drivers, disconnected the printer, reinstalled the latest drivers then reconnected the printer and it doesn't help there is only one additional step that occurs to me. This printer has two USB ports, doesn't it? One is 1.1 and the other 2.0. I hope that you won't be insulted if I ask if you are connecting your computer to the printer's USB 2.0 port? Is your laptop USB 2.0?

I have been looking at this printer but am not interested in buying a problem if this printer is not compatible with certain hardware or software.

Collapse -
USB 2.0 to 1.1
by Dobby / January 8, 2005 1:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Hmm
by Maggie89 / April 22, 2008 12:51 PM PDT

Check to see if your device is conflicting with anything else this may be causing the blue screen n check out the error the blue screen gives you on the internet.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Hmmm... You Responded To A Three Year Old Question?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2008 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

First, I'm not sure how you found the question in the first place and..

Second, I'm pretty sure the person you responded to won't see it..

Thanks for your input though..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Looks like it!
by Maggie89 / April 25, 2008 10:32 AM PDT

lol yea looks like i did shows me i need to read more! Well if he hasnt sorted the problems now hopefully the comment i left might help him get through it!

Collapse -
Up grading to USB 2.0
by donristine / January 7, 2005 9:13 PM PST

You can upgrade to USB 2.0 if you have an empty PCI slot on your motherboard. They come with 2 or 4 USB inputs. I have noticed that many on the new devices can be used on USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, but they will run slower of USB 1.1. With these USB PCI cards, they come with its drivers in case if you need them to get the board operationing properly. In most cases with Windows XP SP2 you may not need their software drivers, its has it's own drivers.

Watch for the systems specifications that are required for these cards and check to see in your computer meets those requirements.

I hopes this helps you.

DRR

Collapse -
There's a way (kind of!)
by jslugger94 / January 8, 2005 11:13 PM PST

Well, you have to go to a store like CompUSA, Office Depot, etc. and buy usb 2.0. Then you have to open up your computer and put it in. (I would recommend paying a computer guy to come and do this). Also, your computer is probobly pretty old, I would maybe get a new one. Dells last a long time. That's what I have.

Collapse -
USB 1.1 to USB 2.0
by Karie4 / January 9, 2005 3:56 PM PST

I also have a Dell, it is an excellent system that I purchased 2 1/2 yrs ago; unfortunately it was equipped with USB 1.1. I contacted Dell support two months ago and they told me to buy a PCI USB 2 Card and install it.

I have not done so as I am a bit squimish about opening my system. IN time i will though.

As with all things cyber-conected READ and Follow the directions and contact system tech for information before proceeding.

Collapse -
Upgrade USB1 to USB2
by bob the Builder / March 31, 2005 12:58 AM PST

My computer needs upgrading.what is the simplest way of doing this?

Collapse -
Simplest? Give it to someone to do it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrade USB1 to USB2

You didn't reveal which Apple or such machine you have. Laptops would take some PC-CARD USB 2.0 cards and there are no PCMCIA USB 2.0 cards.

The lack of detail in your post shows that the FORUM TIP is not working. Here it is so we know you won't miss out.

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Collapse -
Yeah, there are.
by RuprechtTMB / May 10, 2005 11:06 PM PDT

''Laptops would take some PC-CARD USB 2.0 cards and there are no PCMCIA USB 2.0 cards''

Wrong.

Collapse -
SHOW ME a PCMCIA (not PC-Card) USB 2.0 card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2005 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, there are.

You can read a lament about this at http://www.usbman.com as well.

16-bit PCMCIA USB 2.0 cards were never found.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) how can i tell if i have usb1 or 2
by barryf505 / February 9, 2006 1:37 AM PST
Collapse -
This Should Help
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 1:51 AM PST

It would certainly help if we knew your operating system though...??

See the link below:

How Do I Determine What Version of USB I'm Using?

Open Device Manager, click the + sign next to ''Universal Serial Bus Controller'', then view the specific devices. If ''Enhanced'' Host Controller'' and/or ''USB 2.0 Root Hub Device'' is listed, then the computer has USB 2.0 ports. If ''Universal Host Controller'' and/or ''Open Host Controller'' is listed, then the computer has USB 1.1 ports.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) USB 1 difference to USB 2
by a.lillas / September 30, 2006 8:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
For a Mac G4
by mbell7280 / February 13, 2010 12:09 AM PST

Is there a card for my Mac G4 that I can install to convert from USB1.1 to USB 2.0

Collapse -
Maybe 30 bucks?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2010 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: For a Mac G4
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.