Peripherals forum

General discussion

usb vs. ps/2 mouse

by krazydonutboy / March 15, 2005 9:49 AM PST

what, if any, benefit is there to using a usb connected mouse over using a ps/2 connected mouse?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb vs. ps/2 mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb vs. ps/2 mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2005 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: usb vs. ps/2 mouse

The one that works is better.

Collapse -
I don't understand
by brian4xp / June 5, 2007 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple.

What exactly are you saying? "The one that works is better." So one will work and the other won't, so the one that works is better?

Is there any advantage to one over the other?

As far as I know the only advantage may be that you can unplug and plug in a usb device without problems, but trying the same thing with a ps2 device won't always work.

Is there any other advantage?

Collapse -
No advantage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2007 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't understand

Mouse sends signals. PS2 or USB is just the different "wires" to get the signal over.

I wonder if you were searching for some winning difference.

Collapse -
No advantage, IMHO
by Willy / June 6, 2007 5:33 AM PDT

One isn't any better than the other. Use the one that suits you.

IMHO, many users like USB plus all the other USB devices they attach can cause a possible hic-up if anything goes wrong with USB, you're out of luck. You have to back track abit to attach PS/2 mouse and correct it then re-use as before. I like the PS/2 mouse, it's a dedicated port and its rarely is the cause of a problem. Its there and is does allow an extra USB port if you don't use for kybd.. Of course many a new kybd. is USB capable, but many have an adapter too for PS/2 use.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
USB vs PS/2
by pthubbard / July 19, 2007 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: No advantage, IMHO

I have recently installed a USB mouse and although it works fine, I'm wondering what's involved installing it in the PS/2 port. I have a USB/PS/2 adaptor from my previous mouse... Do I just unplug the USB mouse and plug it into the PS/2 port... do I need to turn the PC off before doing that, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: USB vs PS2.
by Kees Bakker / July 19, 2007 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: USB vs PS/2

What I should do: switch while the PC is turned off. The simple 3 steps:
1. Remove from USB-port
2. Add the USB-PS2 adapter
3. Connect to PS2-port

But it's free and very easy to try if switching works on a running PC. And the answer comes much faster if you try yourself than it comes here.

Collapse -
Changing to PS/2 from USB
by pthubbard / July 20, 2007 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: USB vs PS2.

Well, I tried that. But the mouse doesn't work. Apparently it's not recognized by the computer and doesn't attempt to install it.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / July 19, 2007 9:13 PM PDT

PS2 is usually track ball, while USB is Optical.
So, while both works the same:
Optical: has no moving parts. No dust to clean. Can be more responsive. Lighter. Do you call these "benefits" ?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.