LG

General discussion

USB Video stops playing after a while

by suusik / June 14, 2012 4:21 AM PDT

Hello,
I have 42" LG TV 42LS5700.
I bought CORSAIR Flash Voyager 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model CMFVYA32GB
I was trying to play movies from this USB and it works great but then after ~ 1 hour or so it stops playing and remote control freezes.
The only option is: I have to turn off/on my TV and start again.
What could be the problem? USB? TV? Firmware or etc?
Have someone observed the same issue?
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Video stops playing after a while
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Video stops playing after a while
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a common problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 5:11 AM PDT

It's usually at exactly one hour and 14 or so minutes. You will see this issue across many models and my thoughts here is that it's a form of content protection or the other likely issue that they ripped off the code from open source and copied in an old bug.

The makers have NEVER issued fixes for this one and have kept quiet other than to tell us to re-encode content. I find most consumers can't do the later.
Bob

Collapse -
content protection ?
by suusik / June 15, 2012 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a common problem.

hi Bob,
thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Could you be a little be more detailed when you mention 'content'? I didn't get what you mean 're-encode content'. Well is your point that the issue is with the movie itself? Not the TV or flash? Did I get you right?
BTW in my case it freezes in 1 hour and 4 minutes.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2012 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: content protection ?

But this small space is so small I can't write tutorials. But point by point? Here's my thoughts.

CONTENT -> That's the film, TV show, that's "content."

RE-ENCODE CONTENT -> For example, google HANDBRAKE that re-encodes or "transcodes" content to play on your iPad or such. I use that a lot and it's very good.

THE ISSUE -> My reply was to bring up that this is a known issue. The cause is either simple such as they ripped off the code and didn't bother or don't have the ability to fix it. OR IT IS INTENTIONAL since we can't deliver players for downloaded movies. The INDUSTRY has to protect itself or there will be no Movie/Film Industry.

Hope this non-tutorial helps you understand what is going on. If you feel the product is defective, tell them.
Bob

Collapse -
re-encoding
by suusik / June 15, 2012 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

well ...now it's clear to me and thanks for explanation.
Bob, are you saying that every time before you want to play a movie you re-encode it? I do have HANDBRAKE and I used it before but now since my TV could read almost any codec I don't need to use it. Not sure it's a good idea to transcode downloaded movie which could be played 'as is' in sake of preventing freezes playing it from USB flash. Maybe it is Happy just not sure

Collapse -
I don't have to. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2012 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: re-encoding

I learned early on that TV makers are pressed hard to deliver this or that and do a poor job or maybe, just maybe have to throw stumbling blocks in the way for those that download movies. It's something most won't discuss.

Why don't I have to encode most things? I use a media player. Had a Roku but it was too finicky and more. Moved up to a Logitech revue which is less picky. Thinking about a Sony Google TV if I replace that.
Bob

Collapse -
Re-encoding
by suusik / June 15, 2012 9:44 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't have to. Why?

Bob,
Maybe I misunderstood you ... But you mentioned ( or recommended) or suggested that the issue with freezing playback from USB after ~ 1 hour could be related to the content and you also suggested to use Handbrake to re-encode the movie.
Based on the above I understood that if I re-encode myself the movie I just downloaded and play it from USB I will not have the problem with freezing. That was my understanding.
Thanks

Collapse -
Did you try?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re-encoding

I can't predict if this will work on this set. I only have a handful of sets I can ask folk to try stuff on. This model is not one of them.

I took a leap and broached what can be a nasty subject and danced around "movie downloads" that folk are doing and connected the 1 hour some minutes to content protection so you know about these issues and why the makers are doing this. But I appear to have not conveyed that I can't do this test for you.

Sorry for the miscommunication.
Bob

Collapse -
the same issue on the new TV
by suusik / July 9, 2012 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try?

hi,
since freezing movie was kind of annoying for me I decided to replace my TV. Even more ... when playback of downloaded movie was frozen ( either using USB or Plex Media server ) ... I was loosing the control of TV at all. I mean I couldn't operate it any more. The only way was to turn off TV, start it again and continue to play movie. Well I replaced my TV 2 times and both times on a new TV I have the same issue.
This just confirmed me that was not the issue with particular box but rather TV model or content issue.
Regards.

Collapse -
Again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 9:46 AM PDT

In my view the industry is either ripping off the same bad code base or it's a form of copy protection.

As to the content issue, that's easy to test. Play the file on VLC PLAYER on your PC and if it's fine, then it's a player issue, not a content issue.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.