Computer Help forum

USB switch with female input and at least two male outputs.

by Vic2point0 / July 13, 2013 1:39 AM PDT

I need to connect a USB device to both a laptop and a TV and be able to switch between the laptop and TV as needed. Long story as to why but I'll be switching back and forth often, and I don't feel right about constantly unplugging the USB cable from the laptop and plugging it back in again.

I've looked online for something like this but couldn't find anything at all. Does such a thing exists?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB switch with female input and at least two male outputs.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB switch with female input and at least two male outputs.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Too bad all was not told but here's one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the reply.
by Vic2point0 / July 13, 2013 4:25 AM PDT

Do you think this would work both ways, or does the back of the box have to be for input and the front for output? My apologies if this is a "dumb" question, I'm just trying to be thorough.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply.

But the details are not here. I can't tell what is being attached to where so I fear that no answer is possible.

Collapse -
PS. Why it matters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Let's say this is some HDD and well, that can be a big issue if you don't gracefully eject the HDD or ask Windows to unplug, etc.) and you hit that switch. It's not such a big deal for many TVs since they don't write to the drive.

Collapse -
I gotcha.
by Vic2point0 / July 13, 2013 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: PS. Why it matters.

I'll give you any details you think are relevant. Here are my computer's specs:

I have a HP 2000 Notebook PC (2000-2c29WM)
- AMD Dual-Core Processor E2-1800 (1.7 GHz)
- 500 GB Hard Drive
- Windows 8

I have an HDTV with all kinds of ports, but I couldn't name most of them for you if I tried.

The device is called Elgato Game Capture HD (used to record gameplay from the XBox 360 or PS2). It requires a connection to the consoles/DVD player, the laptop, and the TV all at once for the program to function. But even when I just want to play the game or watch DVDs without recording, the device has to be plugged into either my laptop or TV for power, so the signal can travel through this device to the TV. Naturally, I don't want to leave my laptop on all day just to watch movies or play games I have no intention of recording. But to turn the laptop off means I have to unplug the USB from the laptop and plug it into the TV, and then to record gameplay I have to unplug it from the TV and connect it back to the laptop. I'd rather use a switch if possible because it's quicker and probably also slightly better for the hardware to just press a button instead of all that in and out with the USB ports.

Collapse -
(NT) Then this should be good to go.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I gotcha.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.