Computer Help forum

General discussion

USB Sound - Need help

by ctparmenter1213 / April 13, 2009 11:52 AM PDT

So my computer keeps making the sound like a USB device has been connected, then the little symbol appears in the bottom right corner of the screen. Shortly after it will make the sound as though the device has been disconnected and the little symbol will disappear. The frequency of this varies, but sometimes it becomes very frequent and is rather annoying. I have a rather new Dell Inspiron 1525, and haven't had any previous problems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Sound - Need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Sound - Need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: USB Sound - Need help
by C_Jones / April 13, 2009 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: USB Sound - Need help

You must have a device attatched that has some kind of "AutoOff" feature; just disable it. (digital camera, printer, etc. maybe).

If that's not the case:
Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds > Device Connect/Disconnect > then choose "(None)" for the sound

Collapse -
by ctparmenter1213 / April 13, 2009 4:25 PM PDT

Thanks, CJ0NES! I forgot to mention, though, that it does this even when there is nothing connected. Haha. =/

...and I've done that to get rid of the sound, but I would still like to get rid of the problem, and not just the symptoms. After all the little symbol still pops up and then goes away, and I'm not sure if this whole thing has any other adverse effects on my computer, but I don't want to just leave the problem there.

Collapse -
RE: USB Sound - Need help
by C_Jones / April 14, 2009 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: USB Sound - Need help

Ok, well i'm still leaning to some sort of "AutoOff" feature. It doesn't have to be a peripheral; the internal components of your computer (especially network adapters, or another type of expansion card) can also have an "AutoOff". To check if something like this is enabled right click My Computer > Manage > Device Manager > then just browse through there and see if something of "AutoOff" is enabled, if so, just disable it and your problem should be fixed.

If that's not the case, then you have a really weird predicament.

Collapse -
RE: USB Sound - Need Help
by ctparmenter1213 / April 17, 2009 9:57 AM PDT

I went to the Device Manager, and checked the properties of every device and none of them had an "auto off" feature of any sort checked. The USB Root Hubs did indeed have a box to check to "turn off this device to conserve power" or something to that effect, but they weren't checked. So...I have no clue.

Collapse -
by ctparmenter1213 / April 19, 2009 10:06 AM PDT

Bump...any help?

Collapse -
RE: Bump
by C_Jones / April 19, 2009 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Bump

Oh, yeah, sorry. Did this start just recently? Have you installed any new drivers or software or done anything?

Collapse -
RE: RE: Bump
by ctparmenter1213 / April 19, 2009 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Bump

It's cool. Yeah, it just started recently, and I haven't installed any new drivers or software recently. I'm trying to think back, but I honestly can't think of anything I've installed for the past few months, save Windows updates.

Collapse -
by C_Jones / April 19, 2009 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: RE: Bump

Well, I'm all out of ideas. You said previously that you don't want this to have any adverse effects on your computer; there shouldn't be any, just to give you peace of mind.

Sorry I can't help more.

Collapse -
by ctparmenter1213 / April 20, 2009 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: well...

Thanks, anyway, man. Yeah, it hasn't caused any more problems, so hopefully it will stay that way. It was just a minor nuisance until I turned off both the audio and visual notifications that a USB device has been (dis)connected. So I guess it's whatever. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
SOLVED! Connect / Disconnect Sound
by photoinnatura / July 18, 2010 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Hi, after months of searching for a solution for exactly the same problem on my Dell Inspiron 1525, here is a fix that worked for me: I just removed the "dummy" plastic memory card that comes stored inside the memory card slot (in the front part of the laptop). Problem is gone! If I put the plastic card back inside the slot, the problem comes back again. So, I guess I found the culprit!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.