PC Hardware forum

Question

USB ports not owrking properly

by robbedmushroom / December 8, 2012 6:57 AM PST

Hello,

I am running Windows XP and I have recently had a new mother board fitted, and with this all new drivers etc have been installed. But since then my USB ports aren't working properly. I am getting power to them as my mouse and keyboard work, and they will detect most devices but if it does detect them I can't access anything on them.
I have been searching on the internet for a fix but I have been unsuccessful so far.
So I was wondering if anyone could help.

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB ports not owrking properly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB ports not owrking properly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Some checks
by Willy / December 8, 2012 9:43 PM PST

Under XP, things are confusing at times for USB. It still needs to be 100% sure that proper drivers were installed. In typical terms, that means install disc for the mtrbd. "chipset" or may have specific driver for USB. If you have an older mtrbd. that USB 2.0 ports are being used. However, you also mention most devices do work. In such cases, the device itself maybe too power hungry and may not be capable of working or insufficient cabling as in "Y-cable/dual connection" for operation. Older devices too will also fall into power requirements. If the device themselves actually work that maybe an issue. On the other hand, if broken they can cause the USB port and/or hub to display an error message or not respond. Also, you need to verify that USB harness internal are properly hooked-up or at all. Alas, you gave no clue to what the mtrbd. was or its model#.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Blah
by robbedmushroom / December 8, 2012 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Some checks

I couldn't tell you the motherboard make or model, but I can find out later this evening.
Also my devices will sometimes only connect, but even my memory stick sometimes fails and even if it does connect I can't access it. The USB harness is hooked up properly.
How can I check to see if the correct drivers are installed?
I have an external hard drive which used to be connected but now if I connect it I get an error message saying that it is and input/output error.

Collapse -
USB
by pgc3 / December 9, 2012 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Blah

So you are evidently using USB ports from a header (installed on the MB) is there an open PCI slot on the MB? If so, have you tried a standalone USB slot card, usb 2.0? Not knowing what the MB is or what it is capable of, since it is running Win XP am thinking it might be an older unit. If you are using onboard ports and are having issues, assuming you have ALL the proper drivers installed and ALL connections are correct, the next step would be a USB 2.0 slot card. Another poster mentioned power hungry devices, etc., this is another consideration, which may take us back to the system itself and could get a bit more complex, starting with PSU and going from there.

Collapse -
Control panel checks
by Willy / December 9, 2012 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: Blah

If you're trying the frt. USB ports, forget those for now, use the rear USB ports. Provided you still have some available or make it possible, route USB devices elsewhere for time being. The point being, rear USB ports tend to be directly coming from mtrbd. as in NO harness and they tend to be more power stable. Now, test your USB devices and see if it improves.

Your reply that your USB stick doesn't always work, maybe a clue a fault lies with the USb stick, it happens. Further, it may hose that USB port until a reboot. Also, if you have alot of USB devices, these in turn need thier share of power and overall USB ports are VERY LIMITED power wise. Simpler devices tend to work at ease vs. older or demanding like cameras or ext. HDs. You can buy an ext. USB HUB which is AC powered and hope that helps. A USB pci type card can help too besides adding extra ports they too tend to be more power stable.

Enter the system device manager in control panel and check the status of USB listing. There should be no red/yellow flags by the USB controller tag and/or cause attention to some USB need. It should be all collapsed under that listing, not expanded and pointing to some attention, just like all the other listings present. You can expand a USB tag and just see what the properties are as a check, thus verifying the driver is "active and working".

System info, checkout getting PCWizard 2012, google for it and install. It can provide mtrbd. details, etc.. and its freebie s/w.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
About XP. Is it XP? The original?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 1:29 AM PST

If so, things like keyboard and mice work but USB drives should fail. XP didn't get good USB 2.0 support till later versions. Beyond that you need motherboard drivers too.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.