Samsung forum

Question

USB movies get jumpy

by JimmyT4 / November 7, 2012 8:32 PM PST

I have a Samsung 55" Series 750.
Model# LN52A750R1FXZA

This problem has just started. When watching an XVID-AVI movie through the USB port, the action becomes "jumpy and distorted at the 27:30 mark. This happens on all movies of this type.
The set is about 2 years old. Everything worked fine until last month.
Any thoughts.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB movies get jumpy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB movies get jumpy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re:
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2012 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: USB movies get jumpy

Hi JimmyT4,

Have you checked to see what happens with those videos when you watch them on a PC?

Also, what's the firmware version of your TV?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by JimmyT4 / November 8, 2012 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

Actually I have to finish the shows on my PC. So yes, they all work fine on my PC.
I have used various USB drives and taken media from my laptop and my desk top. Same problem.

Collapse -
Re: USB movies get jumpy
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 8, 2012 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

Hi JimmyT4,

OK, at least that seems narrow it down to something with the TV. What firmware version are you on?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Firmware
by JimmyT4 / November 8, 2012 4:29 AM PST

Absolutely no idea. Went to Samsung to find out how to find Firmware and I do not have the nice question mark to click that is in there FAQs.
I do have SW Upgrade, but that just gets me to a screen that searches for the USB.
Suffice to say I have the original firmware that came with the set. You're from Samsung, you should know

Collapse -
Firmware
by JimmyT4 / November 8, 2012 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Firmware

OK. Firmware upgrade is complete and I learned how to find out my firmware version. Settings/SW Upgrade/press INFO.

Now I don't have the time to watch 27 minutes, but confidence is not high. One of the other problems is the 20second fast forward and reverse do not work either. In fact the 2 problems started simultaneously.
Will let it run for 27 minutes at some point this weekend and update the post further, but as I say, confidence is not high.
Maybe though we could move to the next step.

Collapse -
Firmware
by JimmyT4 / November 13, 2012 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Firmware

Nope. Still jumpy after 20 minutes and FF and FR does not work either?
Any other ideas.
Remember, this TV worked for for almost 2 years.

Collapse -
Re: Firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 14, 2012 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware

Hi JimmyT4,

Taken together that the firmware didn't resolve the issue and the videos used to play properly and you've changed absolutely nothing in your setup, I'm not sure exactly what this points to honestly. However, you can try a factory reset: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=168229&modelname=LN52A750R1F

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest you setup service as it may be a hardware issue. Here's the thread where you can get details on setting that up: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: USB movies get jumpy

Try other encoding. There are folk that will demand that some encoding get fixed but then you have that and you can't help them. Here I've learned to TRANSCODE with the various tools and made a cheat sheet to help me remember what encoding works with each device I own.

Too bad this industry didn't sort this out years ago.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.