Storage forum

General discussion

USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized Anymore

by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 6:03 AM PST

Okay, so I recently had to reinstall Windows XP and the only thing that I haven't got working properly is my external hard drive. It's a 160 gig Maxtor. It shows up in the Device Manager, the Safely Remove Hardware and Disc Management but not My Computer. I've tried uninstalling the driver, it didn't work. I tried it on another computer, it worked so I removed all the data and formatted it, it still doesn't work. I removed all the USB devices and power sources, didn't work. I've tried it in the other USB port, didn't work. It's a USB 2.0 port. Frankly, I'm at my wits end here. I've got no idea what else to do. Anyone have any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized Anymore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized Anymore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP doesn't do 160GB until SP1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 6:32 AM PST

And it may not have motherboard drivers either. I don't see either in your post so it looks like you're not done installing XP.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: XP doesn't do 160GB until SP1
by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 6:48 AM PST

I've run Windows Update, so those things should be taken care of, right?

Collapse -
Maybe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 6:56 AM PST

You'll have to check. At least we know 2 reasons it shouldn't work.

Bob

Collapse -
Okay...
by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe.

I've got SP2 but I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be checking for the motherboard driver. I know it's in the device manager, but I'm not sure under what.

Collapse -
Here's how to find out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Okay...

If you can reveal the make and model of the machine I could guess if Microsoft would pick passable drivers. The basic answer is if you have a non-Intel chipset, you need to install the motherboard drivers. Microsoft does not do this for us.

Bob

Collapse -
Make and Model
by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 7:49 AM PST

It's an IBM Thinkpad T43. It's got an Intel processor too.

Collapse -
That helps, Now install from the restore CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Make and Model

A stock from microsoft CD will be missing drivers specific to the needs of this laptop. Some will try to install XP Pro clean. But learn that Microsoft will not fetch drivers for us.

My workaround if I don't have the day to find the drivers is to install the XP OS that came with the machine and then upgrade it to Pro.

Just one comment. Please don't dole out the details. This is your 3rd post and only now you reveal the make. Now the rest of the story could help.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry about that...
by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 8:08 AM PST

Sorry, I'm not real proficient at all this. Ok, so I don't have a Windows XP cd, what I installed it from was a set of six recovery CDs that I got from IBM. And I appearently have Pro. That one's news to me.

Again, sorry.

Collapse -
That's helpful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry about that...

Since you used the recovery CDs, the drivers should be fine. Were the recovery CDs marked XP SP2? Pro?

Now see if the drive shows up in the DRIVE MANAGEMENT (start, help and support). What does it report?

Bob

Collapse -
Disk Management?
by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: That's helpful.

Do you mean Disk Management? If so, it shows up as Active(Healthy). And the disks are marked Windows XP Pro - SP2.

Collapse -
Since it's active and healthy, try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Disk Management?

Find the drive letter assigned, then open a CMD window (start,run, CMD) and CHKDSK that drive letter.

It's also possible the drive letter is HIDDEN from explorer. The tool I use to check that is TWEAKUI found with google.com

Bob

Collapse -
This is interesting...
by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 12:17 PM PST

I went into Disk Management to check what the drive letter was and while I was there I right clicked on the drive and clicked Open. I had tried this before to no success but this time it worked. It still doesn't show up in my computer though.

When I ran CHKDSK, the CMD window popped up very briefly then disappeared. I put in chkdsk [d:], is that right?

And according to TweakUI, it's not blocked.

Collapse -
Also....
by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 12:23 PM PST

Also, everytime I restart the computer I have to reassign a Letter to the drive. Only after that can I open it.

Collapse -
While you can open it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 8:26 PM PST
In reply to: Also....

CHKDSK that drive letter.

If that doesn't clear it up...

Copy the contents out, then use disk management to remove the parition there, create it new and format the drive.

Copy the files back in.

What happens?

Bob

Collapse -
Not good...
by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: While you can open it.

I deleted the partion and tried to make a new one and I got this message "The operation did not complete because the partition or volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume, restart the computer." I restarted it several times and I get the same message every time.

Collapse -
Sounds like some hardware is failing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Not good...

How's the warranty on this unit?

In another discussion the Maxtor owners find that changing the housing helps. Cheap fix for some.

Bob

Collapse -
But...
by simpsycho / November 7, 2005 11:56 PM PST

I was thinking that was the problem as well, so just to check I tried to do the same thing on another computer and it worked perfectly. Unfortuantly, it didn't improve my situation on this computer at all.

Collapse -
XP repairs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2005 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: But...

That leads us to XP repairs and of course spyware scans.

1. Have the XP CD handy and run IEFIX from google.com

2. Scan the machine with EWIDO from download.com

-> I forget one basic item. The USB 2.0 cable must be ... an USB 2.0 cable.

I ran into some real oddball behaviour when I had some USB 1.1 cable on a hard disk.

In closing, I also ran into USB hard disk issue prior to XP SP2. For instance, CHKDSK would not function.

Bob

Collapse -
Nothing
by simpsycho / November 9, 2005 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: XP repairs.

Neither of those did anything. I found that when I go to the properties of the drive, it says the file system is RAW. I don't know if that means anything though.

Collapse -
Here's some articles on recovery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2005 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing
Collapse -
I don't have any data to recover...
by simpsycho / November 10, 2005 1:28 AM PST

I already got all the data I need off of it, so do I need to worry about data recovery?

Collapse -
Then go ahead, re-partition and reformat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2005 1:48 AM PST

Why not?

Collapse -
I can't though...
by simpsycho / November 10, 2005 2:10 AM PST

I've tried re-partitioning it on this computer and it never works. It always says that the drive is not enabled and to enable it I should restart my computer, but it doesn't do anything when I restart the computer.

Collapse -
What I would do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2005 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: I can't though...

1. Have your XP CD handy and run IEFIX (google.com) While we are not worried about IE, this tool fixes up many small issues.

2. This should fix up any corrupted SP1 or SP2 file too.

3. I gotta ask this. Did any Sony Music CD ever get into the machine? Type Sony ROOTKIT into google.com to see what I ask. This rootkit can affect more than CD/DVD players.

4. After 1,2,3 I would find and reinstall the latest motherboard driver package.

5. You did try this when logged on as Administrator?

Best of luck,

Bob

PS. And do try another USB 2.0 cable.

Collapse -
What if a Sony CD was used?
by simpsycho / November 10, 2005 3:48 AM PST

How would I go about fixing it if a Sony CD had been used? I don't use CD's all that often but I suppose it's a possibility and frankly, it's about all I have left as none of your other suggestions seem to fix the problem.

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2005 5:02 AM PST

Something is amiss. I can't see how this could still be a problem if we did all those procedures.

Type into google.com SONY ROOTKIT and the first few discussions note the issue and can lead you to an uninstaller.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.