Computer Help

General discussion

USB HUB PREVENTS BOOTING OF DELL INSPIRON 530 VISTA HOME

by ramijs / August 13, 2007 2:54 PM PDT

hi folks,
I recently bought a dell inspiron 530 desktop (core 2 duo, vista home premium-32-bit). when I add a usb hub (cables-to-go or D-link; both with own power supply), the computer refuses to boot. it gets stuck at the welcome BIOS (1.0.3) page and completely freezes. Even the keyboard connected separately to a motherboard-linked usb port is not recognized anymore.

Talking to dell tech support, they tried to change the first priority of booting in CMOS from removable device to hard disk, thinking the computer might be trying to boot from the hub. however, this completely froze the computer and it would not boot with or without the hub. at this point they gave up.

now everytime i turn computer off, I have to disconnect the hub, then connect it after it boots. this makes the hub work ok.

It is an inconvenience and obviously not life or death. anyone face a similar problem. any help is appreciated,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB HUB PREVENTS BOOTING OF DELL INSPIRON 530 VISTA HOME
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB HUB PREVENTS BOOTING OF DELL INSPIRON 530 VISTA HOME
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) What's on the hub.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2007 12:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
nothing
by ramijs / August 14, 2007 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: What's on the hub.

hi,
thanks for your response. there is nothing plugged in. of course I am planning to use it for the mouse and joystick,

Collapse -
Make and model then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2007 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: nothing

It certainly sounds like a dead hub or a defective one. Try one thing. Remove USB from your bootable items in the BIOS.

Bob

Collapse -
And what happens if you do ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 14, 2007 3:25 AM PDT

plug something like a flash drive or mouse into it?

Collapse -
tried this
by ramijs / August 14, 2007 12:43 PM PDT

hi,
it is the same thing if i plug something to the hub, it still won't boot. if i plug the same flash or other usb to mothboard linked usb ports, the computer boots no problem.

Collapse -
tried it
by ramijs / August 14, 2007 12:40 PM PDT

hi,
I gave 1st priority to booting from hard disk, 2nd to CDROM, and disabled third and other. I still did not work. in addition, it stopped recognizing the keyboard.

Collapse -
I have a
by PudgyOne / August 14, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

Dell Inspiron B130 with Windows XP.

If I leave my flash drive plugged into the usb port, my computer will NOT boot.

What you need to do is to either unplug the usb device to boot up.

Then shut down and go into the bios.

Change the boot sequence so the computer will not be able to boot off the usb port and/or move it down the list so that the computer will boot off the hard drive before it boots off of the usb port.

Rick

Collapse -
Should be a simple fix
by pauljj0449 / December 10, 2007 5:44 AM PST

Browse the BIOS for legacy support.... disable it, turn it off then save your changes - reboot. After booted into windows, plug your hub in, then with it plugged in, reboot - it should work fine.
This is a fix for many usb devices especially printers with on-board computers.
Cheers! ~paul of ACI

Collapse -
u.s.b. port cant find it on my Dell vista Inspiron530

need to find my u.s.b. port on my Dell Vista Insprion 530

Collapse -
Do You Know What a USB Port Looks Like?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 3:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
E mail pictures

how do I put my pictures from my computer on my e mail to send to my family

Collapse -
Bernard, Please Start Your Own Thread..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 6, 2008 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: E mail pictures

Very few will see it here in this old thread. The topic you've posted has nothing to do with the original topc of the thread you've posted in. Click on the link below, which takes you to the main forum page, then click on "Create a new thread" button in the upper right..

http://forums.cnet.com/5204-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&tag=dir.forum

When you repost this question, please give us more information about your computer such as operating system, etc....PLUS, tell us more about what you're trying to do.. Are the pictures already on the computer? Are they on a USB flash drive? Are they on a camera still? The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You can't do it using ramijs computer or hub ...
by Edward ODaniel / June 6, 2008 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: E mail pictures

so since this has nothing at all to do with his old problem why not start your very own thread using the following link. Pay attention to the red text above where you type in your subject title and let us know specifics such as Operating System, email client, broadband or dialup, etc.

Start your own thread here -
http://forums.cnet.com/5200-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44

You might also want to check the "Track this thread and email me when there are updates" just above where you click to preview or submit the post if you have trouble navigating the forums.

Collapse -
Dell = Garbage

After 5 Dell desktops and 3 laptops I've concluded that Dell manufactures garbage....pure and simple. I have the 530s and it does the same thing. I use a USB hub to switch between my work laptop and home desktop. My computer won't even fully boot unless I plug my keyboard directly into my computer's USB port...defeats the entire purpose of a USB hub. Even a flash drive plugged in causes my computer to freeze on startup (despite my hard drive boot priority). I'm really glad HP and others have their act together now. I'll never purchase another Dell product.

Collapse -
HP has a problem too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2011 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell = Garbage

My HP g62 fails to boot when my smart phone is plugged in. It took awhile to figure out it was a bios issue (bug.)

8 hours on the phone with HP and they have me send in the machine. On the return paper they claimed to have duplicated the failure and changed the motherboard.

Excited I try it and same problem. But now it's worse as the machine crashes in minutes over and over. More time on the phone and HP's call center walks. They end with "not many have smart phones", "you should have bought an Envy" and other replies.

Be careful about that other company.

Yes, 6 months later another contact with HP and we are trying to see what can be done but what did I replace the failed machine with? A dell and it's fine.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.