Samsung

Question

usb hub

by fastrover / September 19, 2013 1:17 AM PDT

Can you use a usb hub with a smart tv to give you more connections.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb hub
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb hub
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sometimes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2013 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: usb hub

But for now, it's rare to see it work. Try it if you must but from what I've seen, rarely works.
Bob

Collapse -
usb hub
by fastrover / September 19, 2013 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Sometimes.

Thanks will give it a go. Will let you know how i get on.

Collapse -
USB hub and Samsung Smart TV
by gktechie / September 19, 2013 7:48 PM PDT

Not sure if my answer helps anyone :). Thought of posting for anyone looking for help.

Below are the devices tested with my Samsung smart tv '40ES5600' and a cheaper portable USB 2.0 hub and multi card reader which doesn't have any power source.

1. Western Digital 1TB My Passport portable HDD with 2 NTFS drives
2. Sandisk 16GB pendrive
3. Sandisk 16GB SD card
4. Sandisk 8GB Micro SD card
5. Nikon D5100 SLR camera
6. Nokia Lumia 720 mobile
7. Apple iPhone 4S
8. Apple iPad 2

My smart TV has only two USB ports and one goes for the Wi-Fi dongle leaving only one port for so many devices. Have been exploring different forums for help on USB hub support for my smart TV, but didn't get much. Also, TV doesn't have a card reader slot as well.

Decided to try my luck with a portable 3-port USB hub with multicard reader which is plug n play and costing less than 5$.

YouTube link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eat313C9UoY&app=desktop

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-in-One-Multi-card-Reader-Hub-Combo-with-3-Ports-USB-2-0-for-SD-MMC-M2-MS-/330784609561

Results below with devices connected to USB hub and USB hub to the remaining USB port on TV
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All my WD drives on 1TB HDD show up in my TV source as 'My Passport(1)' and 'My Passport(2)'
16GB pendrive and SD cards show up as well without any issues.
Smoothly able to play photos, movies and videos from these devices.

Nikon SLR and Nokia Lumia show up in the TV source listing as a camera and able to play photos from these. However, can't play videos from these as 'allshare' on my TV doesn't list these devices for 'video' play and lists only for 'photo' play. But, this is nothing to do with the USB hub and these devices behave the same when directly connected to TV as well.

Apple iPhone 4S gets charged when connected to USB hub just like when connected to laptop. Gets listed in the TV source as a camera, but can't play photos. IPad doesn't get charged when connected to USB hub as it doesn't get charged when connected to laptop as well. iPad gets detected by TV, but can't play photos.

Ultimately, pretty happy with the results I got with the USB hub I got for the money spent on it:)

Collapse -
USB hub and Samsung Smart TV
by gktechie / September 19, 2013 9:10 PM PDT

To update further, my Wi-Fi dongle gets detected and connects to the wireless network fine when plugged into the USB hub leaving me with one more port on TV to hook another USB hub if needed Happy

Collapse -
my results usb hub
by fastrover / September 20, 2013 3:58 AM PDT

Tried a basic usb hub heres my results upto now
Test 1 2 portable harddrives fail clicking and red light flashing I presume from previous experience its a lack of power
Test 2 hardrive usb memory stick16gb bluetooth receiver for optical mouse works fine
Test 3 hardrive usb memory stick pre formatted on tv for recording. Started to record programme everything working fine but then tried accessing hardrive while still recording caused tv to go daft started bringing up short cuts on screen for each drive unable to turn tv off from remote had to unplug drives from hub to get control back. Conclusion partial success
Final thoughts can use a hub on suitable tvs but with some limitations.
Thanks to gt techie for your input.

Collapse -
Answer
USB hub
by jaysilencer / December 22, 2013 3:42 PM PST

I also want to see this kind of USB 3.0 that can connect with TVs.
After all, now USB 3.0 hubs and USB 3.0 express cards have been widely used.
I confirm that product managers will make that a difference.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.