Peripherals forum

Question

usb harddrive not accessable

by mcginlay / December 29, 2011 10:48 AM PST

I am running windows 7. I have tried to connect a usb external harddrive and it only shows in printers and devices so I cant see what is in it. or re format it can you please help

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb harddrive not accessable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb harddrive not accessable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2011 10:55 AM PST

A drive with no partition will not show in Explorer. Try DISK MANAGEMENT to partition and format your new drive.

Collapse -
Answer
usb harddrive
by mcginlay / December 29, 2011 4:40 PM PST

I have used this harddrive on my tv decoder to record. I now want to use it on my laptop because the harddrive i need for decoder has to have its own power supply. how would I go about formatting it.

Collapse -
(NT) Try Windows Disk Management next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2011 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: usb harddrive
Collapse -
External drive not showing up...
by Papa Echo / December 30, 2011 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: usb harddrive

The computer system is not reconising the drive because of its different format.... you need to first assign a drive letter to it using "Drive Manager" [ Control Panel>Admin Tools...]. Then if the drive does not show up at Windows Explorer or "My Computer", you will need to format it [losing all contents in the process].

, you will need tp format it [losing all contents in the process]

Collapse -
different system
by clamoreaux / January 18, 2012 9:17 PM PST

A Windows XP computer will not read an older Win 98 HD, but a new Win 7 computer will. You might have to go into Device Manager and disable and then re-install the USB hub, or whatever you are using to read the drive first, before it will be recognized as a drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.