Storage forum

General discussion

USB flash memory stick not showing up as a drive

by johndoesniper / June 9, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

I purchased two 2gb USB flash memory sticks and plugged them into my computer and heared the ********* sounds and got the little window saying that a new device as been connected etc. In short the computer recognizes that theres a USB flash disk connected (even checked in the hardware list) but it doesn't asign it a drive letter so I can actually use it and copy files onto it etc. This computer runs on WIN XP PRO SP2
I plugged the stick an older comp running on Win 98 and installed the driver for it and it works fine and then i plugged it into my laptop which runs on Win XP SP2 and everything worked perfectly fine. So it's not the stick but the computer. Any ideas??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB flash memory stick not showing up as a drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB flash memory stick not showing up as a drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You might try. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 9, 2006 8:57 PM PDT

With the drive plugged in, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, on the left, Disk Management and activate the drive.

Collapse -
worked
by johndoesniper / June 12, 2006 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: You might try. . .

one of my network drives was already set to be drive f and the memory stick was set to be drive f too so i just assigned a different letter to it and it works now. thanks

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That was my next suggestion. ;-)
by Coryphaeus / June 12, 2006 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: worked
Collapse -
Changing the drive letter will help ME
by sendtoarunp / September 18, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

Thank You very very Much coryphaeus... Am in back of this for last 2 months Thankssssssssssssssssssssssss

Collapse -
still not perfect
by johndoesniper / June 13, 2006 10:02 AM PDT

technically speaking it works now. when i plug the stick in it assigns the letter h to it and it works. i had to do the same thing with the other memory stick now the only problem is that whenever i plug in both they're both driver H so which ever one gets plugged in first is the one i'm working on. i'm playin around with the settings right now trying to figure out how to make it assign a drive letter automatically depending on whats available.

i never thought plug n play devices would be so complicated to use....defies their entire purpose...

Collapse -
ps
by johndoesniper / June 13, 2006 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: still not perfect

so pretty much the way i understand it the computer doesnt realize that drive f is already taken because its on the network. and so the computer tries to assign drive letter f to the flash disks. now if there was a way for me to make it realize that drive f is taken because it shows up in my computer as drive f etc. then i wouldnt have a problem and wouldnt have to manually assign a letter to it and it could do it automatically.

Collapse -
another ps
by johndoesniper / June 13, 2006 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: ps

is there any way possible to set my computer up so that it copies certain folders to these memory sticks and overwrites anything on them everytime i plug them in? because that's their purpose, backing up of certain data and if i could just plug it in and let it do its thing then that would save me a bunch of time. important thing is that it overwrites all old data because they're always going to be pretty much the same files and folders just modified.

Collapse -
THIS IS REALLY WORKING MAN
by nooruddin1029 / February 18, 2010 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: another ps

THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH.ITS REALLY WORKING.

Collapse -
This worked for me
by mbisciotti / August 17, 2006 10:57 PM PDT

On my pc at work I have multiple drives mapped. I had to change the drive letter to a non used letter. My usb flash drive kept wanting to take the G drive, which was taken as soon as I changed it from G to B it worked. I did it in Computer Management and changed letters.

Collapse -
USB Device not Showing in My Computer FIX !!!!
by robdadawg / September 24, 2006 4:52 AM PDT

If you have ever had Deamon Tools installed that will be the problem. Try checking this...Look for a file called SPTD. in Windows\System32\Drivers and if its there either rename it or delete it. Reboot and all will be fine. If you still use Daemon Tools removing or renaming this file will make DT not run, but it will def fix your prob with the USB device.
If this file is on your system then it WILL be the cause of your USB problem.
Regards

Collapse -
That worked..THANKS
by vjdesperado / December 16, 2007 4:23 AM PST

But now, im not able to install Daemon Tools. It keeps coming up with a error 'Platform not support'.

Collapse -
could be that you have too many drives including network dri
by leosu88 / June 30, 2009 9:28 PM PDT

could be that you have too many drives including network drives, so delete or disconnect some unnecessary drives, reconnect the usb stick. it worked for me!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.