Storage forum

Question

USB DVD player wont play all the movie file

by valentinokanzyani / October 24, 2011 12:37 AM PDT

hello

I am using a Toshiba usb dvd player to play my movies of a 4GB usb stick,

The problem I am facing is that after about an hour the movie suddenly stops playing and returns to the start.

Please help

Thanx

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB DVD player wont play all the movie file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB DVD player wont play all the movie file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Please tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2011 12:45 AM PDT

When I play a movie I use either an USB DVD player or some USB stick. I'll also use some player software.

I would never use both at the same time so your post is confusing and makes no mention of the player software title or if it ever worked.

For example some folk are downloading movies and complain the movie does not play. That complaint is common but is not a sign that there is something wrong with their machine. The movie could be defective and in the case of copyrighted works there are cases we know about where the owners of the movies pollute the torrent shares with broken copies to slow the sharing down. They hope folk get a bad experience from the torrent use and go back to legitimate means of accessing content.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You never know...
by Willy / October 25, 2011 12:01 AM PDT

I agree with Robert. However, a 4gb flash drive may also not be big enough for typical movie in its entirely. The mere fact you're using a flash drive suggests its a copy. While, not debating the RSA on the issue, if the movie was genuine copied in order to source its playback because it was allowable, then OK. I strongly advise use a larger flash drive and also, see if going to disc helps at all. I exclude sources of video from anything other than genuine, so you're at the mercy of such.

Collapse -
Answer
Movie(s) FD etc.
by pgc3 / October 25, 2011 1:05 AM PDT

MOST newer movies won't fit on a DVD 4.7gb + or - unless the files are compressed and generally require a DL disk or Blueray, so I am not surprised. Plus a 4gb FD will not generally hold a full 4gb of data. Then there comes in (as other posters have noted) copyright, etc. etc. So the first suggestion would be a larger FD and go from there.

Collapse -
Answer
Same Here
by sdot76 / October 31, 2011 7:59 PM PDT

Yes mate
I understand the question I am having the same problem.
To expand-: for example you have a 4gb flash drive trying to play a 1.5gb avi movie off it 80% into the movie it resets
and goes back to the beginning. When you double check the file is fully there when you play it on your P.C.
The same happens on my external hard drive as well as my 1gb,2gb and 4gb flash drives.
My dvd player is a Pioneer dv220kv for your knowledge

hopefully there is somebody who can shed some light onto this problem
Si

Collapse -
Some folk get upset at the answer to this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Here

Let's hope you don't lose your cool.

In short, the current crop of media players in DVD/BD and HDTVs are not capable of playing what you play on a PC. Many want to know why and it is very simple. Your PC may have a great app like VLC PLAYER.

But why can VLC PLAYER play all this and why can't Pioneer and others use VLC's code since it's right there for the taking at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html ???

Answer: Copyrights. Because of where the authors are and published they are not subject to many of the copyrights Pioneer and others are subject to.

The problem is simple. The answer is known. Consumers don't care for the answer, they just want it to work.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.