Samsung forum

USB DVD or BD Rom with AV connectivity that will play CD DVD

by Joeworcs / May 24, 2013 11:27 PM PDT

I am looking to add a slim USB DVD or BD player behind my ES7000. Does anyone know of one that will play CD or DVD?

I have the SE-208DB and it wont play CD or DVD in AV Connectivity mode.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB DVD or BD Rom with AV connectivity that will play CD DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB DVD or BD Rom with AV connectivity that will play CD DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
So far none.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 1:47 AM PDT

There is no PC to read and use such a drive so there are no USB CD/DVD/BD drives out for this.

Your everyday BD PLAYER can play AudioCDs but this is not connected with USB but usually HDMI.

Collapse -
Some do....
by Joeworcs / May 25, 2013 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: So far none.

"AV connectivity" enables Samsung USB DVD and CD external drives to be used on a TV's USB port so I'd say they do exist.

Problem is the SE-208DB doesn't play CDs and DVDs in their native format as far as I can see, just wanted to know if the newer models do.

Collapse -
If said drive has AV out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Some do....

Then it's not using the USB port except for power. I had an really old drive that if you connected power you could play an AudioCD by the 3 buttons on the front of the drive.

I'm going with no, your common USB CD/DVD/BD drives are not supported because there is no PC and/or drivers in the TVs.

I see folk confuse TVs and PCs a lot today.

Collapse -
Looked at this drive again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Some do....
Collapse -
Advice needed on these types of drive
by Joeworcs / May 25, 2013 5:13 AM PDT

I'm grateful for your help but I need advice from preferably Samsung on any of these drives that support CD and DVD in AV Connectivity mode.

I certainly know the difference between a TV and PC!!

This is a mode which you can switch these drives to that causes the drive to behave like a USB stick, the TV therefore recognises it as such. If I save an mp3, mp4, avi to a cd or dvd they will play.

Problem is on the SE-208 the TV will play mp3, avi etc but not DVD or CD in their original form although their manual says otherwise.

Collapse -
Since an AudioCD has no files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 5:28 AM PDT

The host computer must read the data off the media and play it back digitally. Since we have a TV that does not have the app to do this, it does not play.

Hope this clears that up.

Collapse -
PS. All about AudioCD decoding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 5:43 AM PDT

As you can decode all that information, there is no true file system there so there are no files. Your TV would have to implement an app to decode that media storage format.

It appears you want some drive to take an AudioCD and do the transformation to a set of say MP3 Files that your TV could use. So far such a thing is not on the market but one can take just about any AudioCD and convert it to a set of MP3s with a PC. In fact I use CDEX to do that! Here's a link.

Collapse -
AV connectivity does exist as a feature
by hng / December 12, 2014 8:24 AM PST

Most likely the TV is too old to support AV Connectivity 2.0. This tech might be available on Toshiba TVs, but it's not available as far as I can tell on the Toshiba 24V4210U DVD/LED TV combo, which I bought in mid 2013.

I haven't found much details on the tech other than that it allows you to treat the portable USB Optical Disc Drive as a USB device.

There is a blurb on my Samsung SE-502CB box that states Honeycomb 3.1 or above required, meaning your TV must have Android 3.1 (aka Honeycomb) software on it.

This drive is built by the Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology partnership,

There is an FAQ here:

This link might be relevant:
Collapse -
(NT) Little late and you don't show this working with the ES7000
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2014 8:38 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.