Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

usb driver for HP Pavilion dv6000

by zephyr1104 / August 4, 2008 6:39 AM PDT

Hello,

Can someone please direct me to a USB driver download for a Pavilion dv6000? I have Windows XP.

Neither Windows online search nor HP's recovery DVD have been able to locate the necessary drivers. HP.com does not have a download for USB drivers for the 6000, at least not one that is labeled as a USB driver, and that is all I should need to install.

I had to reformat the HD last week and yesterday suddenly all 3 USB ports stopped functioning. The device manager gives me the following message for both the USB enhanced PCI and the USB Standard:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The dirver may be corrupted or missing. Code 39."

Thank you for any suggestions!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb driver for HP Pavilion dv6000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb driver for HP Pavilion dv6000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Specific Information Is Needed..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 4, 2008 7:06 AM PDT

You probably need the correct chipset drivers for your computer.. The dv6000 has a number of configurations including either Intel or AMD processors and matching motherboards.. In addition, depending on what you mean by the USB drivers, you may be referring to the motherboard USB ports or maybe a separate card reader..

So your EXACT model number and processor are necessary for an exact remedy.

In the meantime, see the link below for the dv6000 drivers..

HP Pavilion dv6000 CTO Notebook PC Drivers
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842155&lang=en

Drivers for AMD Installations.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=271360&messageID=2699006#2699006

And if you're using an Intel processor, the link below should get you the newest chipset installer utility. (Verify that your processor is compatible.):
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=816&DwnldID=16023&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks for dv6000 help
by zephyr1104 / August 4, 2008 1:50 PM PDT

Thank you for the links. I had tried HP's drivers but there's nothing labeled for USB ports--probably under some other name but I'm not computer savvy enough to know what that would be. Guess it's back to the shop for this one!

Incidentally, my wireless hardware apparently stopped functioning some time ago. I had dial-up for years at home so never really used the wireless except once or twice, but now that I need it, it's no longer working. I ran across a post on CNET that incl a link to HP's website, where HP had offered an extended warranty for the dv6000 for just that problem: non-functioning wireless hardware.

Because HP never bothered to notify its customers (recalls are SUCH a bother for the manufacturer, after all!) I now can't get the hardware replaced because my original warranty is over. Thanks, HP! And these corporations wonder why so many people abhor them!

Collapse -
"nothing labeled for USB ports"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2008 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks for dv6000 help

Since time began USB ports are in the motherboard driver package. No, we don't expect you to know this so asking is how most learn about this.

As to the wifi, that's not a HP exclusive so your complaint would be about the industry and all makers. I've passed some hundred repairs of such now. The fix is easy, cheap and a non-issue if you find the right shop. Hint? We use a 20 buck pc-card.
Bob

Collapse -
wireless adapter
by zephyr1104 / August 4, 2008 10:29 PM PDT

Thanks again! I already have a wireless adapter Happy

Collapse -
And You Still Need To Install Those Motherboard Drivers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 5, 2008 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless adapter

Unfortunately, you STILL haven't given us the specific model number or the processor type.. But as mentioned earlier, the USB drivers should be covered by the chipset/motherboard driver installation.. Give it a shot.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.