Storage

General discussion

USB Drive not showing files

by rory / October 23, 2005 3:15 AM PDT

i have a Cruzer micro drive 512mb, the thing is that when click on properties it shows me that the drive is half full but when i open the drive i see no files and zero bytes of information at the status bar.
i have enabled to show all hidden files but nothing still comes up. i used it to back up some files from a previous computer and then formated the drive and started over but it does not come up no matter what computer i put it in. can anything be done to get the files back??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Drive not showing files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Drive not showing files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As with..
by jackintucson / October 24, 2005 2:46 AM PDT

hard drives..the Cruzer had a FAT (File Atribute Table) on it. IF it was trashed for some reason (like a magnet?) opening the drive wouldn't show any files. It shows 1/2 full because the FAT isn't used to determine size. Download Ontrak File Recovery Trial and see if it doesn't at least see the files on the Cruzer. If it does, then you may have to find someone with similar recovery software or you'll have to buy it. Sorry. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Got it
by rory / October 27, 2005 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: As with..

thanks for the info that software worked great. i also tried another named Badcopy, it broght back most of the files and fixed a few of the corrupt ones.

they were i few pictures another indentical drive like the CRuzer the files and everything were including the pictures but when the pictures were transfered they all(well most of them) camme over messed up. they were of different colurs and shades and they seemed out of place. What caused this time happen and can anything be done fix these pictures?

Collapse -
Sounds..
by jackintucson / October 27, 2005 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it

like the file compression went awry. Some of the higher-end photo manipulation software (Photoshop and the like) should be able to sort it out. Good Luck.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
usb data showing probelm
by RahatHanif / January 14, 2011 4:01 AM PST

i have a Cruzer micro drive 512mb, the thing is that when click on properties it shows me that the drive is half full but when i open the drive i see no files and zero bytes of information at the status bar.
i have enabled to show all hidden files but nothing still comes up. i used it to back up some files from a previous computer and then formated the drive and started over but it does not come up no matter what computer i put it in. can anything be done to get the files back??

Collapse -
Wait a moment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2011 9:44 AM PST

If these are back up files then why would we need to recover them?

If you didn't succeed with the titles given in this forum's top post them http://www.drivesavers.com is next.

And if this was my stick with BACK UP FILES I would find the USB HP FORMAT UTILITY to see if I can get the old stick working again.
Bob

Collapse -
Get files back
by Shavawdownload / January 19, 2011 10:45 AM PST

Apparently there are two issues involved here

1, Getting files back after you formatted the drive. It is easy to sovle this, here is a guide that you may consider as reference http://www.icare-recovery.com/recover-data-from-formatted-drive.html

Tips: never save new files to the formatted drive before file restored, any new file written to your formatted drive would lead to impossible file recovery since old files have been overwritten

2, Drive format and storage space problem

Even though you have formatted drive, the drive is empty, however there are also half space taken. Then some cruzer micro drive format tool you can search on the net would be a best choice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.