Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

USB device not recognized even though drivers are there

by ron_w_ii / March 21, 2010 12:49 PM PDT

I recently purchased a USB headset. It comes with no drivers and says that it uses Windows' drivers. I plug it in and Windows, SP3, asks me for the drivers!

I've tried all the usual unplugging, rebooting, etc. Nothing seems to get it to work.

I plug in the device into my laptop, running Windows XP SP3, and it comes right up! No issues.

I compared the device drivers between the two systems, examining the device manager when I plug the USB set in. The drivers are on both systems AND they are of the same revision.

So I'm at a loss now as to why one pc won't see the USB device even though it has the drivers and another has no issues.

Note that I did try a third pc with Win XP SP3 and the USB device was seen and recognized immediately.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB device not recognized even though drivers are there
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB device not recognized even though drivers are there
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No real solution from me, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2010 8:59 PM PDT

just a thought.

When this computer's XP asks for drivers, does the "Found new hardware" wizard appear?

If so, use that to point to the existing driver. In the first page of the wizard there's 3 choices, so choose the bottom one, "No, not this time", click Next, then in the next page select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)".

See if that works.

Mark

Collapse -
USB device not recognized
by ron_w_ii / March 21, 2010 10:46 PM PDT

Yea, I tried using the choose hardware option. When I manually selected the driver, Windows noted that the device could not be configured properly and may cause the system to become unstable.

Collapse -
Let's hope you never used Microsoft's Update Drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2010 9:30 PM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813139 notes this issue.

Many are finding this out after using the ill advised Update Driver button.

"Note We do not recommend that you update the USB 2.0 host controller driver by using the Device Manager if you are using a USB keyboard and a mouse input device. When you update the USB 2.0 host controller driver by using the Device Manager, the keyboard and the mouse do not function, and you cannot control the system or safely restart the computer."

There is also an Intel EHCI item that if installed causes this issue. If folk would not do either of these things or use a registry cleaner, they would have less issues.
Bob
Collapse -
PS. Any tinkering with Services?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2010 9:31 PM PDT

I can't guess if something/one changed the XP Services such as plug and play. Be sure that one is running.

Collapse -
Tinkering with Services
by ron_w_ii / March 21, 2010 10:59 PM PDT

My USB drive works fine, so I know USB is working.

AV and malware detection haven't found anything.

Collapse -
Doesn't prove a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2010 11:25 PM PDT

If you read the Microsoft article you discover why a flash drive works and other devices do not.

Sorry that this is this way. We all wish they had made it so it just worked or didn't.
Bob

Collapse -
Agreed
by ron_w_ii / March 21, 2010 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Doesn't prove a thing.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily prove a thing, based on that article.

However I have run the hardware update and rebooted about 3 times now, which is the MS recommended solution.

It's almost as if the USB ports are not reading the device correctly.

Collapse -
It gets worse.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2010 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Agreed

The Microsoft article only partially admits to the problem and the fix is not assured.

There are also other USB problems such as clock jitter, power supply noise and more that you described that cause grief.

Try the old reinstall the motherboard driver package fix.
Bob

Collapse -
That's a thought
by ron_w_ii / March 22, 2010 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: It gets worse.

Hadn't thought about that one.

Will have to give it a try. Thanks!

Collapse -
Microsoft's Update Drive
by ron_w_ii / March 21, 2010 11:00 PM PDT

Cannot say that I've used that option for this, so I don't know that it would be a factor.

Since the drivers technically do exist on the system and are of the same revision as another pc's XP operating system which does allow the USB device to work, I shouldn't have anything to update.

I'm toying with two ideas. The first is to remove the drivers from the faulting system, and when the pc asks for them, then point them to the directory containing the drivers.

The second would be to just copy the drivers somewhere and point them to the location of the copied drivers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.