Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

usb DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED

by SHEEHAN / September 11, 2006 12:47 AM PDT

I recently had to reinstall ny windows xp OS and reinstalled all of my programs. All seemed to be fine, but now, i am having problems with USB devices. Devices which were recognized since the reinstall, are now not being recognized. Devices including an IPOD nano, a Canon EOS 20D and an external HD which all have worked, now don't. I have reinstalled the USB drivers and the software for the devices themselves and occasionally they will work but most of the time they don't. I have scanned windows for file integrity with the scn /scannow command as well as virus and adware scan and nothing comes up. Any ideas? I have even done a system restore to a time when I knew they worked and no improvement. A also have switched to different USB ports and checked the cables and connectors. I have a dell dimension 8300 with 2GB ram and 160GB hard drive.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Motherboard drivers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 1:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
USB device not recognized
by SHEEHAN / September 26, 2006 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard drivers?

I have found more to this story. The drivers were there. If I unplug all the usb devices and boot up the computer, then plug them in 1 by 1, the devices are recognized, however, it doesn't last long. If i plug my external USB 250 gb hard drive in, suddenly, it won't recognize devices that minutes before it had. This usb hard drive works fine, and only carries a mirror image backup of the hard drive letter C: on it. When I unplug the external hard drive, the other devices are again recognized(no reboot required) I bought a powered 7 port USB multiplier to plug the peripherals in to it(camera and Ipod) leaving just the printer and photo printer and the wireless keyboard receiver to plug into the 6 usb ports in the back of the tower and it still occurs. I have changed which usb port and have tried all 8 that I have as well as the 7 on the usb multiplier and the same thing occurs. I also have another external hard drive (160 GB)from another computer and have plugged that in and the same thing occurs. Now the simple answer is only plug the external hard drive in while weekly backup occurs, but this is driving me crazy as to why it is occuring?

Collapse -
Could be hitting some limts. What I'd try is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2006 7:13 AM PDT

1. See if the Intel chipset drivers were installed.

2. Install a PCI USB 2.0 card and see if the situation improves.

3. Don't use USB ports on the front of the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
Limit reached!
by dwalmz / September 27, 2006 12:23 AM PDT

I believe this is correct. The amount of USB devices you have connected is more than it can handle. You'll have to install another USB card which is usually the norm when you have that many peripherals connected!

Collapse -
Before you do anything
by D Gage / September 27, 2006 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Limit reached!

Before you do anything else I had very much the same problem. Try unplugging both of the usb drives from the USB hub. Plug them directly into the usb conetors at the rea of your computer. That should solve the problem. IF it does then get a powered 4 port hub (and get a quality one) and use that only for your usb drives and you should not have any more proglems

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by aslay33 / February 12, 2013 8:19 PM PST

I went to the Intel website and downloaded the SM Bus Controller. This controls the USB ports. Once downloaded, it worked immediately. Thanks Bob and CNET.

Sincerely,
Dr. Tony

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.