Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

USB Device Installation Problem

by nilskislon / January 26, 2007 6:22 AM PST

This is the first time im asking for help by posting directly to a forum. Till now (i'm 28) i was always able to resolve almost any type of hardware/soft problem , but i'm getting a little sick of this one.

So, what i'm trying to do is install a SAMSUNG SGH-D600 mobile phone under WinXP via USB cable (original Samsung cable from the box). For this post the results are for the new drivers from the "Samsung PC Studio 311 FKB" package.
But, i've been getting the same thing with the earlier versions of Samsung SGH-D600 Drivers, as well as Mobile Action drivers for D600.

What i get in the middle of the installation is this window:

*Cannot Install this Hardware
*There was a problem installing this hardware:
* WMC Modem
*An error occurred during the installation of the device:
*The driver installation file for this device is missing a
*necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written
*for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor.

I have a few things to mention:

1. I have plugged in the phone only after the Studio/drivers were installed (the first time i tried the install) as specified by Samsung installation instructions.

2. Numerous times i have deleted all the registry sections regarding any mobile phone drivers and many "USB devices", deleted all the oem*.inf files from the windows INF subfolder, plus the asociated driver files, and then tried again the install with different drivers.

3. I removed all the unnecessary processes/programs from memory prior to installation. Like firewalls, antispyware/virus...

4. I have done a few automatic installs and also the manual type in as many ways as i could think of (like: "Install from a list or specific location", than "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install"...)

5. No problem with the Samsung PC Studio 3.0 package drivers on my fathers and brothers WinXP system. I haven't tried the others since these work for them.

6. I've tried different USB slots...

I'm also posting the setupapi.log:

[SetupAPI Log]
OS Version = 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Platform ID = 2 (NT)
Service Pack = 2.0
Suite = 0x0100
Product Type = 1
Architecture = x86
[2007/01/26 22:26:24 868.3 Driver Install]
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&rev_0100,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): usb\class_02&subclass_08&prot_00,usb\class_02&subclass_08,usb\class_02
#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
#I022 Found "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem0.inf; Device: "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Device"; Driver: "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Device"; Provider: "SAMSUNG Electronics Co.,Ltd. "; Mfg: "SAMSUNG Electronics Co.,Ltd. "; Section name: "SAMSUNGWdm.Install".
#I023 Actual install section: [SAMSUNGWdm.Install.NT]. Rank: 0x00000001. Effective driver date: 08/30/2005.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [SAMSUNGWdm.Install] in "c:\windows\inf\oem0.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
#I124 Doing copy-only install of "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E\359277-00-110727".
#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Coinstallers registered.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installing section [SAMSUNGWdm.Install.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\oem0.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E\359277-00-110727".
#I121 Device install of "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E\359277-00-110727" finished successfully.
[2007/01/26 22:26:28 868.7 Driver Install]
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&rev_0100&mi_01&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&rev_0100&mi_01,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&mi_01&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&mi_01,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&subclass_02&prot_01&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&subclass_02&prot_01,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&subclass_02&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&subclass_02,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): usb\class_02&subclass_02&prot_01,usb\class_02&subclass_02,usb\class_02
#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
#I022 Found "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E&Class_02&SubClass_02&Prot_01&OS_NT" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem1.inf; Device: "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem"; Driver: "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem"; Provider: "SAMSUNG Electronics Co.,Ltd. "; Mfg: "SAMSUNG Electronics Co.,Ltd. "; Section name: "SAMSUNG.Install".
#I023 Actual install section: [SAMSUNG.Install.NT]. Rank: 0x00000004. Effective driver date: 08/30/2005.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [SAMSUNG.Install] in "c:\windows\inf\oem1.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
#I124 Doing copy-only install of "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E&MI_01\359277-00-110727_01".
#-011 Installing section [SAMSUNG.Install.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\oem1.inf".
#I123 Doing full install of "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E&MI_01\359277-00-110727_01".
#-035 Processing service Add/Delete section [SAMSUNG.Install.NT.Services].
#E275 Error while installing services. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
#E122 Device install failed. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
#E157 Default installer failed. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
[2007/01/26 22:26:32 1736.2]
#-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" with command line: rundll32.exe newdev.dll,ClientSideInstall \\.\pipe\PNP_Device_Install_Pipe_0.{2794E6F5-36A2-4269-921F-F814B1EC6158}
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&rev_0100&mi_01&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&rev_0100&mi_01,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&mi_01&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&mi_01,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&subclass_02&prot_01&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&subclass_02&prot_01,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&subclass_02&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&subclass_02,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02&os_nt,usb\vid_04e8&pid_663e&class_02
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): usb\class_02&subclass_02&prot_01,usb\class_02&subclass_02,usb\class_02
#I022 Found "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E&Class_02&SubClass_02&Prot_01&OS_NT" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem1.inf; Device: "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem"; Driver: "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem"; Provider: "SAMSUNG Electronics Co.,Ltd. "; Mfg: "SAMSUNG Electronics Co.,Ltd. "; Section name: "SAMSUNG.Install".
#I023 Actual install section: [SAMSUNG.Install.NT]. Rank: 0x00000004. Effective driver date: 08/30/2005.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [SAMSUNG.Install] in "c:\windows\inf\oem1.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
#-124 Doing copy-only install of "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E&MI_01\359277-00-110727_01".
#-011 Installing section [SAMSUNG.Install.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\oem1.inf".
#I123 Doing full install of "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E&MI_01\359277-00-110727_01".
#-035 Processing service Add/Delete section [SAMSUNG.Install.NT.Services].
#E275 Error while installing services. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
#E122 Device install failed. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
#E157 Default installer failed. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
#I125 Installing NULL driver for "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E&MI_01\359277-00-110727_01".
#I121 Device install of "USB\VID_04E8&PID_663E&MI_01\359277-00-110727_01" finished successfully.

Thanx in advance, experts Wink

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Device Installation Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Device Installation Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps, maybe...
by Papa Echo / January 27, 2007 10:33 PM PST

...possibly the mother board drivers ? USB adaptors drivers ? Interference from anti-virus program ?

Collapse -
Sorry
by nilskislon / January 28, 2007 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps, maybe...

I had no problem with any other usb hardware on this machine, no hardware problems in general, at least not of this kind.

I updated the MOBO drivers a few days ago, still nothing.

I mentioned in my post that i killed most of the non-native windows
proccesses before install, including firewall, antivir...

The "Samsung Mobile USB device" is installed successfully, but the "wmc modem" for the same device does not want to install.

thanx anyway Happy

Collapse -
The last thing I would do
by PudgyOne / January 28, 2007 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

is uninstall the program.

Explore and delete the program folder, after you uninstall it.

Restart your computer.

Use a registry cleaner and remove all of the unused registry values.

Restart your computer.

Reinstall the program. After it's reinstalled follow the instructions. When the program is tryong to find your phone, make sure it found it. If not, you may have to go back and change the modem. I had to do that for my Motorola. If you get the program up and running, look for a place to update your software. I had to update mine about 7 times before I had the most recent software. Had to restart each time.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
No luck
by nilskislon / January 29, 2007 7:39 AM PST

I tried what you said several times before to no avail. The software always found the phone, but the problem is it stops in the middle of the DRIVER installation.
The modem driver is never installed properly no mather what driver i use. The software on the other hand got through well, but that doesnt help a lot.

!!!
A new insight: i tried to install the Nokia 6280 on my pc today using only the Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver (rel 6.82.4 eng), and guess what - SAME result. The modem part wont install.
!!!

Some inf or registry entry conserning "modems" must be broken...

Collapse -
No luck
by dgg55 / January 29, 2007 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: No luck

are you sure you have enough memory on your computer

Collapse -
Memory?
by nilskislon / January 29, 2007 6:53 PM PST
In reply to: No luck

Sure, i have enough - 512Mb, most of it available.

Collapse -
I "hacked" my way through
by nilskislon / January 30, 2007 2:47 AM PST

So, i resloved the problem by adding to my registry all "samsung mobile" registry entrys i got from my brothers computer.

Not very subtle, but it works...

Thanx anyway Happy

Collapse -
registry Entries
by msarchitect / October 3, 2007 1:09 AM PDT

I have exactly the same problems.

Is it possible you could extract the entries and post on line

Collapse -
SAMSUNG USB MODEM DRIVER issue
by rharding64 / December 1, 2007 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: registry Entries

hello,

i am also having the same identical problem with the same user ID and vender ID, but different phone model, the SGH-T739 - interesting that a different phone model has identical product and vendor ids, huh?

in my case, the port does work immediately following install, but on reboot, when winxp says 'saving settings' it hangs there. (but it only does this when i attempt to install the files). i am using the 'zylserial.net' drivers in c# control application for multiple oem handsets.

i am using jan axelson's book USB complete to analyze this issue. you are correct in the assumption that the problem has to do with inf file and / or registry file.

have you had any additional progress on this issue? i will keep you updated on my progress as i WILL identify the source of the problem.

have a good day.

Ron

Collapse -
samsung mobile usb modem issue
by rharding64 / December 1, 2007 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Did you read this?

thanks for calling back

i'm contractor for one of the big cell phone companies developing test automation tools in c# .NET and connected to external test equipment.

part of the device install troubleshooting process is that you need to use a tool that is within Microsoft windows DDK, called chkinf. this tool allows for interactive monitoring of the device inf and registry during the install process.

i am installing this tool now and i will post message as to what i find.

have a good day.

ron

Collapse -
I had an error message when
by PudgyOne / December 1, 2007 8:28 AM PST

I tried to update my Motorola Phone tools. They had an email support. I had to show proof of purchase and they provided me a url to download a newer version that fixed the error.

Wonder if something like this is also happening with Samsung.

Rick

Collapse -
welcome to the gag operating system
by kennyt86 / February 11, 2008 5:52 AM PST

sorry dude sounds like u may have been gagged there are people out there who have hacked microsoft with the own system they have re writen microsoft software and hacked millions of computers it does not stop there these guys are unbelievable what they can do and it is all freeware software microsoft dont want u to know about this niether do any of the antivuris companies as these guys have worked out to beat everything microsoft actually supports there software that is what the big ruccas was about with the security of windows xp service pack 2 came out alot of people actually were down loading the gag version not windows xp there is to much to tell u about this go into ur boot options is your first boot device floppy disk??
mine is and i use a lap top that a) does not have a floppy disk and b)has never had one even attached to it this is a massive problem that microsoft do not want to come out i have been in touch with them for nearly 2 years now it was after 12 months when one of the engineers rang me off his own back and told me about all of this i have never been able to get intouch with him since i know this may sound far fecthed but it is true when they hack u the network u to there system and install something called an anitomicl clock in your computer they can access files off line too much to list what they can do coppy paste this all over the web i want microsoft to come clen reaearcg the gag operating system it is well hidden but look hard u will find more and more about it also check out desktop freeware u have no idea how good these guys are and that have sown up microsoft so it is all legal pretty much as everything they have and use has a feeware licence it drove me mad now i just dont care i dont bank by internet and have nothing on my computer i would not show my mum they have access to your web cam audio any thing that is on your computer or attaches and i have not found a way of getting rid of them yet?? try to take permission of your files bet u can not i bett u do not have full admin rights to your computer try it tell me i am wrong

Collapse -
I know exactly what you expeirened
by shaper36 / November 28, 2009 12:32 PM PST

This is all I can tell you,and its really almost unbelievable how invasive that they can completely take over every single port,application,hell the entire system down to every line of code or remotely use any function of you computers capabilities within minutes not hours.Not to mention your mobile devices or anything that is on the leading edge of technology.I managed to get invaded by doing a little reading because I like to learn the basic science of how new technolgy works,I was reading about gps and sattelite funtions,along with sms and gsm,all going hand in hand and came across and open source forum at an institutes open forum site where one of the devolopers who was on the forefront of devolopment and invention of the systems and tools that operate this stuff,and after i read a few hours online there was an open source app that was available to download for as it was put "beginners and people interested in learning could get some hands on learning from it.after i downloaded it I saw witin a few minutes that they gave themselves the admin rights to access your computer any time they wanted to view or change anything they felt like at will.I didn't want that so i uninstalled it within less than a couple hours.within that time my entire macine was already overwritten and taken control of every fucntion that could be done on a comp,and that is no exxageration.I found dozens of log files in the sytem files within an hour of deleting it where every function or information was being looked at or reprogrammed so that any time at will they could have control of either information or the hardware.down to the bios settings,cdrom,video,audio,every port,all that fast,and it wasn't some kid in his basement who was a prodigy,these are genius level scientist and research and devolopment people on the forfront of new things,who also have access and time and knowledge of the stuff that would make your head explode just trying to understand the math involved in some of their work.So i'm sorry I don't know how to fix it,I can't figure it out myself,i've changed hardrives ,bios updateds,security software,and it always comes right back.Anyways i saw the discussion on here and thought i'd vent and show you at least how I got this same overthrow of my comuters and any and all of whatever personal information of mine they wanted to "amuse" themselves by at will.Heres the link to the "open source sharing of learning" that was the source of the headache, http://www.gpstk.org/bin/view/Documentation/WebHome,I suggest you read a book or find another place to try to learn in your free time,because believe me if you enjoy spending some free time exploring new things,and you end up getting the same expierence i got ,you're new hobby will be trying to fix the damage done as appreciation for trying to expand your knowledge.Good luck,and if anyone figures out a solution kudos to you and i'd be appreciative to whoever figures it out.happy holidays all

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.