PC Hardware forum

USB connector headers and how to connect them

by IraAduro / January 25, 2013 10:22 AM PST

So I'm going to make my own USB 3.0 cables. I ordered two usb header types on amazon. One is USB 335 and one is USB 332. You can see 335 here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CJTDIQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00) and you can see 332 here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00890MMG8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01). So my question is, how would I connector the data wires to these? Looks like 335 has pins I can stick a female end of a jumper cable onto. 332 just has flat receptors instead of pins. Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB connector headers and how to connect them
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB connector headers and how to connect them
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
USB 3.0 project
by Willy / January 26, 2013 12:31 AM PST

I don't see why you need to make USB 3.0 when there are already pre-made cables out there. Unless, you have a unique setup get the pre-made cables. Further, if you make cables you have to start with USB 3.0 ready cables, then modify or build as you need it. Otherwise USB 2.0 type cables aren't as capable due to noise and shielding issues, plus the "colored ID" of USB 3.0. Buy the cables that match your USB headers, you seem to be getting both types of different, is that what you need or covering bases. Your PC install should explain what it needs. Also, any cable connections match pin-for-pin link, usually its "keyed" to align one way. As for USB 3.0 specs, goolge for what each wire does. I hope you understand what I convey here.

332- replacement ports at the mtrbd. or pcb (4-wire)
335- smaller or micro type mounted on mtrbd. or pcb (10-wire?)

The above items you've ordered, what you looked at were the frt. connection of port to connect a USB 3.0 device, NOT the wires. The reverse or backside is where the wiring attached IF at all. Because these are replacement ports for mounting on PCB boards. Thus, only minor tabs for soldering into PCB. Yeah, you could attach wires, but its difficult and wasn't intended as such. The ordered parts were for replacing the ports such as the 1st device listed on link, I provided, PCI-e express card.

If the whole idea is to have extra USB 3.0 ports because you have un-used USB connections in your PC, then get the pre-made cable, that's "bulkhead or slot style". Those ports attach to int. header and can be mounted either to USB bracket or holes once plate is removed. Let these USB 3.0 items suggest something:

You could have order the Anker frt. panel setup(from link). If you don't use the panel, remove its mounting and have the ready made cables or look for similar or cables alone.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
USB 3.0 cables
by IraAduro / January 26, 2013 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: USB 3.0 project

Some excellent info in that post and yes I know it seems strange that I would want to make my own sata cables. But what I'm doing is a bit strange. I'm planning on making an adapter of sorts that on one side plugs into my motherboard's IO ports and on the other side plugs into the backplate of a G5 Powermac from the inside. So the USB 3 cable will only need to be perhaps 2" long at most. I figured it was best to make it myself. Also, I found USB 3 headers with black plastic instead blue. This fits my color scheme.

To make one wouldn't I just get 22 guage wire, solder all the wires to the USB female headers that I bought? Assuming I get the right wires in the right places.

Collapse -
by Willy / January 27, 2013 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: USB 3.0 cables

Use the keywords: usb 3.0 cable specification

While blue is a color ID to readily show USB 3.0 is present. The cabling if 24ga. is the size make sure of any shielding, etc., because that too is a consideration, than plain wire. Once you google with the keywords above find the pix of the design, etc., well worth the visit. It should detail all you need to know. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.