Desktops forum

General discussion

USB Caddy Not Recognizing Drive

by boweasel / December 13, 2010 12:25 PM PST

Looking at a hard drive from a Win XP PC for a friend. His PC fails to recognize that it has a hard drive, so I took it home and plugged it into my USB caddy. It makes the characteristic sound, but nothing shows up in My Computer.

I went to Administrative Tools and clicked Disk Management. Nothing new shows up there, either.

The drive is warm, and is vibrating slightly, but I get no evidence that it is working. Is it dead?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Caddy Not Recognizing Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Caddy Not Recognizing Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What caddy? What drive? What jumper settings?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 1:03 PM PST

Tell more to see if the forum can see if there is a reason for it to fail.

Collapse -
More Info
by boweasel / December 13, 2010 5:38 PM PST

The caddy is a Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter.
The drive is a 60 GB Hitachi Deskstar.
There are no jumper settings AFAIK with a USB caddy.

Collapse -
That's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2010 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: More Info

Since IDE has at least 3 jumper settings from master, slave and CS, you would try each one.

Why not?
Bob

Collapse -
Am I missing something?
by boweasel / December 14, 2010 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: That's a clue.

I've had this caddy for about a year or so, and have always simply connected the HD to the cords, and plugged it into a USB port on a good machine. I've never had to concern myself with jumper settings - just hook it up and plug it in. My understanding is that using jumper settings is only necessary when you are connecting another HD to a cable inside your good PC - using the questionable HD as a slave to an existing HD.

So if there is something I'm missing, please let me know. I'm always up for learning something new, and, truth be told, I have never actually connected another HD to an existing PC in any manner other than the caddy.

Collapse -
Just missing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2010 4:38 AM PST

It appears you want ideas but don't want them.

Sorry but it's unclear why you don't want to try them. I've had many enclosures over the years and know to give this a try.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob, What am I trying?
by boweasel / December 14, 2010 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: Just missing?

Give me some specifics. I have just hooked this drive as a slave into another IDE machine, with the jumpers set vertically in pos 3 & 4. The PC booted VERY slowly and the drive I'm interested in did not display.

I then disconnected the HD from inside the PC, kept the jumpers in the same position and used the USB caddy. This time when I plugged it into the USB port I got msgs in the notification area about detecting a new USB device, and that the new device was now ready to use. But nothing ever showed up in My Computer OR Disk Management. The only evidence I see is in Device Manager where, under Disk drives, I now have an entry for USB Device.

Collapse -
I Have No Idea
by boweasel / December 15, 2010 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: Just missing?

No idea about what the settings for the jumpers should be for this HD. I was not aware that I had to do anything to the jumpers to use this HD in my USB caddy..

But I have tried it with no jumpers, jumpers in the Master position, and in the slave position. None of those caused my caddy's drive to be recognized. But the small diagram on the outside of the drive lists 16 positions for the settings, dependent on whether it is 16 heads or 15 heads (and I have no idea what that means, either).

The drive vibrates. It gets warm. But I can't seem to 'see' it on another PC.

Collapse -
Jumper settings for IDE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2010 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: I Have No Idea

Are now well documented. BUT

Since the drive did not show up on the Master or slave (what about CS?) then you want to try the titles noted in the top post of the Cnet Storage Forum.

The post is titled "Lost and Found" and lists titles members have found useful.

Of course this won't work on a dead drive but could help recover files from drives that have minor file system damage.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.