Windows 7 forum

General discussion

USB 2.0 transfer rate horribly slow

by dmfavata / September 12, 2010 8:30 AM PDT

Hi. I have an hp HDX16-1370us and when I try to copy things to and from my internal drive to a flash drive or external hard drive it takes forever. Some times it will take about an hour to transfer a gigabyte and other times it will take a minute or so. I am currently running windows 7 and ubuntu. The transfer speeds in ubuntu are excellent and I have never had a problem. I have tried new drives, different usb ports, updating drivers, reformatting drives but nothing seems to work. I think it may be when I upgraded from vista to 7 because in the month or so that i used vista everything worked fine. Is there anything i can do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB 2.0 transfer rate horribly slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB 2.0 transfer rate horribly slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2010 8:43 AM PDT

Head to HP.COM and the drivers for this machine to see if there were bios updates and drivers for Windows 7? I'm finding folk still learning that Windows (even 7) does not do this for us.
Bob

Collapse -
driver update
by dmfavata / September 12, 2010 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you?

I have all the latest drivers and bios firmware for windows 7 it didn't change anything.

Collapse -
Tell the forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2010 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: driver update

How you know this. Many use that driver update button in Windows. That is not reliable. Please be detailed in your replies to save extra steps.
Bob

Collapse -
Drive
by sarveshmotihari / September 13, 2010 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: driver update

Hy! Had You defraggmented your drive?

Collapse -
drive
by dmfavata / September 13, 2010 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Drive

Every month I update my drivers directly from hp.com and I just defragged my hd now and it didn't do anything.

Collapse -
The details are still missing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2010 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: drive

I can't tell if some step looks wrong.

Last idea? Look at the SMART report on that drive.
Bob

Collapse -
details
by dmfavata / September 13, 2010 11:55 AM PDT

What details do you mean and want and the smart doesnt say anything but "enabled"

Collapse -
Details such as.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2010 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: details

1. Installed Windows 7 Pro.
2. Installed the Activator software.
3. Installed the chipset driver version 4.92102 from www.maker.com
and so on for the usual 20 steps.

Your choice on that but something seems odd here.

As to SMART you want to get at the full SMART report. Example at http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepanalysis.php
Bob

Collapse -
Drive
by sarveshmotihari / September 13, 2010 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: drive

Your Windows 7 is Affected with virus which is slowing down the transfer speed. I don't think there is any hardware problem As it is working fine in Ubuntu.

Collapse -
USB - Win 7 slow transfer rate
by davey2bit / January 30, 2011 10:52 PM PST

Hey all, I have the same problem. Have Asus G60JX Laptop and usb transfer rates are at 11MB/s. I installed all new drivers and flashed my Bios - Same.
I found article from MS KB976972 update, installed and it helped (same files now 19MB/s). So I know its a windows 7 problem. My win XPSP2 laptop with same files getting 32MB/s transfer rates. Has anyone found anything that can boost up Win 7 yet. Thanks.....

Collapse -
To answer your question...
by WarrenDecker / May 27, 2011 11:53 AM PDT

USB 2.0 transactions/communication is a "Software Based" transaction which partly explains why you have different transfer rates between different Operating Systems.

Collapse -
Wow! What a totally irrelevant topic!
by LucJPatenaude / May 27, 2011 7:59 PM PDT

Just wait that Microsoft gets around this minor problem and, by SP2 for Win. 7 will probably get your precious 32Mb/s transfer rate. Besides, by that time, the bus speeds of the newer machines will be so enormous that, Win 7 will become a joke to process.
Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.