Windows Vista

Question

USB 2.0 not recognized as high speed ports

by Luke_Vader / November 25, 2011 10:34 PM PST

Recently my USB ports are not performing as high speed ports like they're supposed to. They're all 2.0 ports, but when I plug something in to any of the ports, I get a message saying "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a High-Speed USB 2.0 port" then says "click here for a list of available ports".

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB 2.0 not recognized as high speed ports
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB 2.0 not recognized as high speed ports
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This happens
by Jimmy Greystone / November 26, 2011 12:05 AM PST

This happens, and it's almost always a "fatal" hardware issue. USUALLY it only happens to one or two ports at a time, and always the most commonly used ones, which makes it easy to explain. In your case, it sounds like you must have plugged in some electrically dodgy device which zapped the USB controller and damaged it.

You could try using a Linux LiveCD to make sure it's not a stupid Windows trick, but if the Linux LiveCD seems agonizingly slow transferring files from the HDD to a USB flash drive, then the hardware has been damaged and the only solution is to replace the motherboard. That or buy a USB PCI controller card and use that. If the Linux LiveCD seems like how Windows used to perform, then you're probably looking at an OS reinstall.

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by Luke_Vader / November 26, 2011 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: This happens

I dont have a Linux LiveCD, not sure where to get one, and not really sure what it is.

Collapse -
That's because
by Jimmy Greystone / November 26, 2011 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

That's because, if my hypothesis is correct, it's the controller all those ports are tied into that's been damaged. Those card readers are just connected via an internal USB connection after all.

As for a Linux LiveCD, you can google Knoppix or Ubuntu. You burn the image to a CD or DVD, then you boot off of the CD/DVD and have a fully functional (except you can't save any changes) OS. Then all you do is pull up a file manager program, try and copy some files from your HDD to the USB drive, and see what the performance is like. If it's slow under Linux as well, you can rule out it being some issue with Windows and resign yourself to the fate that it's motherboard replacement or buying a USB PCI add-on card.

Collapse -
RE: That's because
by Luke_Vader / November 29, 2011 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: That's because

I tried to create an Ubuntu LiveCD. To do that, I had to download ISO Recorder which is not an actual program but creates a right-click option to burn ISO images to a disc. I've tried all versions on ISO Recorder's site and rebooted after each install and the right-click option is nowhere to be found. I tried to just unzip the files and burn them to a disc, but that didnt create a bootable Ubuntu disc. I didnt think it would but it was worth a shot.

Collapse -
Answer
"Recently" = Use System Restore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 2:05 AM PST

Go back to when it worked. If it is a driver or setting, this rolls it back.

Most common causes I see?
1. Updating drivers. (Don't fix what works!)
2. Registry cleaners (Don't fix what works!)
Bob

Collapse -
RE: "Recently"
by Luke_Vader / November 26, 2011 7:11 AM PST

Just checked and system restore wasnt turned on for whatever reason, so there's no point saved that I can roll back to.

Collapse -
Did you just reveal?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: RE: "Recently"

Did you reveal you were using that (dysfunctional) Driver Update button in Windows?

That's a perfect way to break USB functions. Now go back to the machine maker's web site and use the drivers they supply.

I can't offer where this is. I reviewed this discussion twice and no make and model!
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Did you just reveal?
by Luke_Vader / November 26, 2011 5:25 PM PST
In reply to: Did you just reveal?

ASUS CM5570

Collapse -
OK, I have Vista SP2 but 32 or 64 bit?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2011 12:48 AM PST
Collapse -
RE: OK...
by Luke_Vader / November 27, 2011 1:33 AM PST

I'm running Vista 64 bit. I saw the page you linked earlier as well and was hesitant to download anything since I have Vista and the only OS listed was WIN7. If I download drivers listed for WIN7, will that cause any conflicts?

Collapse -
At this point it's time for a service counter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2011 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: RE: OK...

You seem unsure and won't try any advice or push the install on your own.

I think a service counter is best.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: At this point...
by Luke_Vader / November 27, 2011 12:34 PM PST

I simply asked if it was OK to download something for Windows 7 when I have Vista. I just wanted to be absolutely certain that I was not about to do something that could possibly make matters worse if there was a conflict between OS's. Also, the link you posted has 19 different things that I could download, how am I to know which one you're advising me to try?

Collapse -
I found 1 chipset driver there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2011 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: RE: At this point...

Intel has been very good at this and I already wrote to try it. Since we can't move forward I think a service counter is best.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: chipset driver
by Luke_Vader / November 27, 2011 2:48 PM PST

When I try to run the setup.exe, it says that it is not compatible with my operating system.

Collapse -
Intel.com has the latest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: RE: chipset driver

It took many posts to try the one from the maker. Let's hope this goes faster. This is why a repair counter looks to be best.

-> There is a possibility someone tinkered with a BIOS setting called USB LEGACY. This is not in your story but worth trying both settings in the BIOS.

Again, you have to look for this in the BIOS page as the maker did not put such information for me to find with ease. It's a common entry and if you take more replies to find it, it's a sign this really needs to go to a shop counter.

Here's the Intel chipset driver finder page at Intel.

-->> http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009245.htm#u

This chipset driver is what gives USB 2.0 support.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Intel.com has the latest.
by Luke_Vader / November 29, 2011 5:50 AM PST

Checked my BIOS and Legacy was in Auto mode. I disabled it and saved changes, same results. So I went back in, disabled Legacy, same story. Now it's enabled, again same results with the ports not performing as high speed ports and giving me the message when I plug something in.

Collapse -
Answer
Vista 64 is listed for the Intel ICH10 Chipset at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2011 6:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Just checking the manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2011 6:02 AM PST

It notes this came with a DVD with the factory drivers. Next up? Use that.

Collapse -
More about USB settings in the manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2011 6:09 AM PST

"USB 2.0 CONTROLLER MODE"

Allows you to set the controller to hi-speed or lo-speed.

Imagine if that was in low speed.

-> Sorry but have you read this area of the manual yet?
Bob

Collapse -
RE: More...
by Luke_Vader / November 29, 2011 7:41 AM PST

The chipset utility download you posted ran fine. And I had already downloaded the chipset drivers from the ASUS link you provided a day or so ago, but I tried it again and rebooted. Same results.

Collapse -
There is one last thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2011 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: RE: More...

Some of those boards did not have all ports at high speed. I didn't go over the manual but you could re-check.

As to the PCI USB 2.0 Card? Cheap, should work.

As to the BIOS I read something like 3 BIOS settings for the USB. Gone are the days of on/off it seems.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.