Storage forum

USB 1TB Drive Folder Missing

by Diggar01 / August 13, 2013 10:51 PM PDT

I have a Seagate GoFlex 1TB drive that has been connected to my Dell Optiplex 755 Vista Business computer for over 1 year. I do backups to the drive but I also keep certain files and folders on the drive that are separate from the backups.

Never had a single problem until a short while ago. I went home with everything fine. I came back the next day and 1 file folder was missing. Everything else was there except for this 1 folder.

Now the folder contained numerous sub-folders and files so they are all missing. Not a trace.

From time to time I have had USB drives die or lose their mind and never had a problem recovering the data. I have used OnTrack and other software programs in the past and have usually found and recovered everything.

So I took the drive off the computer and opened the case, pulled the drive out and connected it to my computer at home.

I used Ontrack Pro to look through the drive and did not find any trace of the folder. Nothing.

So I tried other software programs and nothing, nada. Where has this folder gone? I mean vanished without a single trace on the drive and yet everything else is exactly as it has been for over a year.

If you can provide and help on what I may be able to do about this situation I would be extremely grateful.

Any help appreciated.
Thank you for your help in advance

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB 1TB Drive Folder Missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB 1TB Drive Folder Missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: folder missing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 11:01 PM PDT

Did you look in the recycle bin?
Are you sure you didn't by accident move the folder into some other folder?
Did you search that hard drive for files you know that were in that folder? If the whole folder is moved, this is a perfect way to find it.
Did you notice a sudden drop in used space on the drive (or a sudden increase in free space)? If not, the files probably still are there.

If everything fails and you don't have a backup of these file, this might be a lesson about the necessity of making it.

Collapse -
Prepare yourself
by Willy / August 13, 2013 11:09 PM PDT

While you are now missing 1-folder you better ASAP store your current data to yet another media storage to "protect remaining data". You didn't mention if you did but you did state you do store data for 1-yr. and you certainly don't want to find other missing folders or data. In other words, don't let this be the sole source of back-ups.

The only suggestion(IMHO) that may cause your issue is that the folder was being r/w to and it didn't finish and when it was pulled or not allowed to tidy up, it hosed that area of data/folder. I don't know how much data is currently on a 1Tb drive but if the amount of folders and/or files start to reach certain levels, it has alot of housekeeping to maintain, more as time passes on a continuing basis. Usually, the last area of storage access(or common area) will be effected to include the immediate FAT structure of such data. So, all this leading to either improper shutdown(or pulling of USB case) or simply not allowing the r/w process to finish. i won't exclude what maybe updating of a named file that getting repeatly updated,s o if not finished it may hose similar labeled files or data files, like XYZ.001, XYZ.002, etc..

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.