Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

USB 1.0 to USB 2.0

by iazose / March 14, 2005 3:31 PM PST

I have an HP Pavilion 573 desktop running Windows XP Professional. It has two USB 1.0 ports in front and 2 in back. Is there any way at all that it can be upgraded to USB 2.0, short of buying a new computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB 1.0 to USB 2.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB 1.0 to USB 2.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The USB 1.0 will always be a USB 1.0
by glb613 / March 14, 2005 6:48 PM PST
In reply to: USB 1.0 to USB 2.0

But, you can add a USB 2.0 PCI card. They are found at most retail computer stores. You will also need an empty PCI slot inside your computer case. I added one to my old desktop and it was an easy process.

Collapse -
I Beg
by Themisive / July 1, 2006 9:50 PM PDT

To disagree with this. My old mobo had USB 1.0, I had a USB 2 CD, all I did was to put it in the drive then go to Control Panel/System and then to the Hardware page, open Device Manager then update the drivers for the USB root hubs and such, telling it to look for drivers on the CD, result, I got 2 USB ports runing at USB 2.

Later on I added a card to the PCI slots, with 5 USB ports - 1 internal and 4 external - and had to go through the same procedure again.

Collapse -
Hmm - thats interesting
by bobsdownload / October 30, 2006 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: I Beg

I wonder if somehow, you already had the 2.0 hardware and then just upgraded the software? I am just looking at this now but it seems that you can't just install software and have 1.0 go to 2.0 based on my reading. Anyway, I found some front-mount hardware for a total of $14 incl shipping that has two normal USB (little rectangles) and two IEEE 1394 (look like little tunnel openings - roundish at the top). Pretty sweet, I'd say.

Collapse -
I don't agree
by Me, Myself and You / November 16, 2007 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: I Beg

that drivers alone can physically increase the speed of the data bus.

I just don't think that's possible. Did your transfer speeds greatly increase?

For instance, I have just backed up "My Documents" onto an external USB 2.0 hard drive and it's probably around 10 Gigs of Data, and it took less than an hour. The same backup on USB 1.1 used to take me the majority of the day.

So... care to share?

Collapse -
Yup, just add a card (and sharing my experienc)
by ChuckT / March 15, 2005 2:57 AM PST

Just be sure to get a USB 2.0 card.
I recently added MediaCard Reader panels to both of my home computers.

The panels typically require internal 'header pins,' NOT the typical USB plugs, which are found on almost all new motherboards. Header pins are just stand-up pins that project from the surface of the board.

My one computer had them, but ...
My new Dell did not have these header pins. So I needed to find a PCI card that had them. The problem is that almost all USB cards promote the point that they have X external and Y internal USB ports (whatever those numbers are, but usually the higher the number of ports the more expensive the card), BUT those are always the usual USB plugs. ALMOST NEVER do they mention if there are header pins there, what their purpose is, or even give any details as to what the signals or power is provided on those pins.

I looked for such a card, and found what might be one at Fry's (shutter - but they do have a pretty good return policy).

So, back went that card and I continued the search. I found a "2 port" USB 2.0 PCI card at CompUSA, which I noticed that there were 2 sets of 9 pins each (4pins and 5 pins next to each other) on the board. I bought that board. Getting that PCI card home, I found no mention of what the pins were. I went to the card manufacturer's website and no mention of the pins were found there either (no surprise). But I brought out my trusty meter and checked the pins, and it appeared the voltages, at least, were what I wanted. So I plugged in my MediaCard Reader. IT WORKED FINE!

I checked all the pins for operation, while using the regular USB plugs on the card, It all worked as expected. So, for $20, at CompUSA, I got a "2 port" USB 2.0 card that was really a 6 port USB 2.0 card (2 regular plugs on the outside edge, and 4 ports via header pins on the surface of the board). Pretty cool, and I couldn't be happier.

Collapse -
Upgrade Laptop to USB 2
by purpleduck / March 19, 2005 10:36 AM PST

Hi there. Can anyone tell me if I can upgrade my Laptop to USB 2.0?

Collapse -
Laptop to USB 2.0
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2005 10:53 AM PST

Only 2 things.

1. Must be a PC-Card slot. I could have checked, but you didn't reveal the make and model laptop. Why?

2. Add an USB 2.0 PC-Card. has them.

Collapse -
Yes, you can
by glb613 / March 19, 2005 7:13 PM PST

using a USB 2.0 card that fits into the PCMCIA slot. I have one made by BUSlink.

Collapse -
Adding a USB 2.0 card to your computer that only has USB.1.0
by Denise Neve / March 21, 2005 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, you can

I did exactly the same - just went out and bought a
USB 2.0 card made by Belkin (life time warranty) and fitted it in to the PCMCIA slot on my Dell Dimention XPST - no problem at all! Run your more power hungy appliances like scanners and printers from the new USB 2.0. You can now also buy a small external USB 2.0 hub which is stackable if you need even more slots. Hope this helps.

DN in UK

Collapse -
PCMCIA vs USB 2.0 port
by lath / March 24, 2005 8:29 AM PST

I thought that PCMCIA could never support higher transfer rate compare with USB 2.0 port...Look like you drive a model car with top speed of 220mph on a road that only allows you to run at 60mph... (I could be wrong)

Collapse -
USB Card Info
by Shawnm023 / March 31, 2005 5:55 AM PST

I was just wondering if Chuck T could tell me what the model # of the card he bought from Comp USA for the card reader. I have a card reader as well with 9 pinout cable for USB header and need to purchase a PCI card as well and want to get the right one.

Collapse -
USB 2.0 Two Port PCI Card, SKU# 304244
by ChuckT / March 31, 2005 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: USB Card Info

It really is a 6 port (2 regular USB style receptacles, and header pins for 4 additional ports).

Ir is called USB 2.0 Two Port PCI Card SKU# 304244

Good luck.

Collapse -
installing pci card 2.0 in a laptop
by rabbler / February 28, 2006 11:43 AM PST

ANybody have any experience "upgrading" their 1.1 usb ports - ie installing a pci card which allows 2.0 transfer rates - in an ibm t30 laptop? the pci slot is on the bottom, the part that goes on the table! any suggestions on how i can 2.0 transfer rates happening on this machine! thanks, matt

Collapse -
Actual I have installed a PC-Card into a laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 11:59 AM PST

Since my laptop had XP installed "proper" it was a simple matter of plugging in the card to the slot.

Collapse -
C/NET Has a step by step guide..
by eagle0 / March 18, 2005 1:00 AM PST
Collapse -
USB 1.0 to USB 2.0 my Operating System is Windows XP SP2
by caracas / March 19, 2005 2:22 AM PST

Hi ,

I don?t know if my USB is 1.0 or 2.0 ?
Where kann I found this and if it is 1.0, may I Updat to 2.0?
My PC is HP Pavilion A 872
Thanks ortanse

Collapse -
Your operating system doesn't determine what type of USB
by glb613 / March 19, 2005 2:30 AM PST

port is installed on you computer. Check the device manager and see if your USB listings are enhanced. If it is a desktop, you can add a USB 2.0 PCI card for very little money or work.

Collapse -
USB 1.0 or USB 2.0
by Domingos / March 19, 2005 5:40 AM PST

Windows XP right click My Computer and choose Manage/Divice Manager. On the right panel of that window, at the bottom, you will see: Universal Serial Bus Controlers. Click the PLUS sign. You should see what you are looking for there.

Collapse -
Device Manager -USB 2.0
by Merl Priester / March 21, 2005 12:28 PM PST
In reply to: USB 1.0 or USB 2.0

There will be one line under USB devices in device manager, that says either USB 2.0 or more commonly one line says Enhanced Host Controller.

If you have either of these the USB ports are 2.0
If you add a PCI or PCMCIA card, that line will be there
but only the card ports will be 2.0 the original ports
are still 1.0 or 1.1

Collapse -
Use a USB Hub
by Michael00360 / March 22, 2005 12:03 AM PST

You can now get a usb hub. This simple device connects to your existing usb port in the back (1 port) and allows you to connect several usb devices to the computer. It also allows you to move the hub around the desk to you can put it wherever you want (within the limits of the chord). Most hubs are 1.0/2.0 complient and are backwards compatable. You may also want to check to make sure your operating system supports this feature. If it does not have the drivers, you will have to download them. Just refer to the user manual for the usb hub for download locations.

Collapse -
limited to the slowest point of the connections
by ChuckT / March 24, 2005 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Use a USB Hub

If you plug a 2.0 USB hub into a 1.1 port you will never get 2.0 speed to your computer.

But if he upgrades to new USB 2.0 ports then a 2.0 hub can go at high-speed.

Collapse -
usb problemos
by webnewsman / June 30, 2006 4:16 PM PDT

i have a computer that has a pentium 4 motherboard and windows xp professional installed. it runs real well, i have installed a cd burner, a sound card and a networking card. the only thing that doesn't work and never has since i got it (someone gave it to me , its not any name brand or anything, it was put together from parts) is the usb hub/port/controller. i tried all the device manager suggestions and BIOS and all that. I was wondering if I just buy one of these USB 2.0 cards, will i then be able to use USB? Even though my motherboard's USB are out of commision, can i just install a card and bypass them like i did with my soundcard?, please let me know, because i have a scanner and a camera and it would be great to use them with this system compared to having to use my crappy thinkpad, that doesn't have sufficient RAM or processing speed, just because i don't have USB on my desktop.

Collapse -
Are you lazose?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2006 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: usb problemos

Your issue doesn't seem to be the same as the original poster or you could have used the responses. Maybe a fresh new post with the details would be better.

"was wondering if I just buy one of these USB 2.0 cards, will i then be able to use USB? Even though my motherboard's USB are out of commision, can i just install a card and bypass them like i did with my soundcard?"

Yes. All that's needed is the service packs. You didn't tell much about your OS and if the person who installed it fetched the needed drivers to ensure your existing ports working.

Collapse -
OS windows XP for your info
by webnewsman / July 1, 2006 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you lazose?

i did mention my operating system, its windows xp professional, and i did post a seperate topic to which no one had replied, i figured i'd go where there are actual people discussing something, that way i'd get a quicker response. you still are hinting at the possibility that my existing ports matter:
''You didn't tell much about your OS and if the person who installed it fetched the needed drivers to ensure your existing ports working.''
if i install one of these usb cards, in my slot on the back next to the sound card and the net card, and install the ''service packs'', then whether or not my hubs/ports work will not matter?

Collapse -
Sorry, USB 2.0 can't work for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2006 7:25 AM PDT

XP Pro (not XP Pro with SP1 or SP2) is not capable of USB 2.0 support. Don't waste your money.

Collapse -
what about bob
by webnewsman / July 1, 2006 10:56 AM PDT

sounds like you're just making that up, you said last time that it would work , now you change your story cuz you realized that you were foolish to say that i didn't state what operating system i had in my first post. don't toy with me bob.

Collapse -
So Far
by phantazy / July 1, 2006 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: what about bob

As Im aware, unless your motherboard installation drivers support USB 2.0, the O/s of XP, whether Home or Professional, did not provide until the advent of SP2. That is why Bob correctly said that it would work with an add-on PCI card, but only if the drivers are installed separately, or if you have SP2. Early Nvidia Force 2 drivers offered SP2 with a difficult installation.

Collapse -
by phantazy / July 1, 2006 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: So Far

Last sentence in post above should read 'USB2'for 'SP2'.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2006 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: what about bob

I'll rewrite it slightly.

In your case with a system running only XP Pro (no servive packs noted), USB 2.0 cards would be a waste since USB 2.0 was only added later to XP and not supplied when Microsoft shipped XP.

When I ask for what operating system, it's for this very reason. So I'll know if it's ready for what you are asking.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.