Phones forum

General discussion

US Cellular vs Verizon

by wilsdelga / May 23, 2006 1:12 PM PDT

I have been a US Cellular member for a few years now and was wondering if it was worth switching to Verizon. I've had no problem with US Cellular but I would kinda of like Verizon because most of my friends have it. So any sugestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: US Cellular vs Verizon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: US Cellular vs Verizon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
US Cellular vs Verizon
by dave1973 / May 24, 2006 8:07 PM PDT
In reply to: US Cellular vs Verizon

Where are you located for one? Are you in an area that has had USCC & Verizon for years, or did Verizon enter your market in the last year or 2? I heard portions of North Carolina, where Verizon just activated their netowrk for the first time, has spotty coverage, and the area is PCS only. The same area where USCC has been for a few years has few problems with their network. If you stay mostly local, I believe plan wise, USCC would be your best choice as their plans offer more anytime minutes than Verizon, and Verizon no longer offers local plans in many markets (like Chicago market, where I reside). Phone selection, Verizon wins that, as USCC tends to be behind on their selection of phones. Now if most of your calls will be made to your friends who have Verizon Wireless, then Verizon will be your choice, as m2m is included in all their plans, and you also can use your m2m (IN Networking) minutes off the network in most areas, where if you have that option on your USCC plan, m2m & N/W minutes must be used on USCC's network. If you want to do a lot of things with your phone via bluetooth, USCC is the way to go as Verizon is the only carrier that insists on crippling bluetooth, though they did release a full bluetooth Nokia 6256i phone (same as the 6255i, which USCC & Alltel sells). Ask your friends what phones they have and how they like the service before deciding to jump to Verizon Wireless. I decided on Verizon Wireless back in March 2002, while shopping for a wireless carrier, looked at where all I traveled, how many minutes each carrier's plans offered, phone selection, and any accessories I want for my phone. USCC in the Chicago market was still Primeco at the time, and I hated Primeco's plans & coverage area, T-Mobile involved too much roaming, Cingular (before the ATTWS buyout) involved about 60% roaming, ATTWS was TDMA at the time and would have roamed about 50% of the time. I initially planned to get Sprint because they covered most areas, but at that time, discontinued a $30 plan for 200 anytime minutes and a certain number of N&W minutes. The cheapest plan at that time for local was $35 for 200 anytime minutes, while Verizon had the $35 plan (AC): 300 anytime minutes & 3000 night & weekend minutes, and would only roam about 5% of the time. I've been with Verizon for 4 years now. I don't know if I'll stay with Verizon Wireless once I move to Milwaukee Wisconsin, where Verizon has a small network in that state, plus the network is all PCS, where Indiana is mostly cellular, with the exception of NW Indiana where there is an overlay of cellular (from the old GTE Wireless) & PCS (from the old Ameritech Cellular) bands. I might look at USCC once I move to Milwaukee, if Verizon doesn't work out for me. USCC has been in Wisconsin for years, with mostly cellular band coverage. Where I live, USCC is all PCS due to Primeco only had PCS licenses.

Collapse -
US Cellular vs Verizon
by wilsdelga / May 25, 2006 3:45 AM PDT

Acctually I live just south of you in Central Illinios. To my knowledge Verizon has been here for a while but today I went into Verizon and found out that it would cost me about 20 dollars a month more for virtually the same plan then US Cellular. While most of my friends say they have geat reception with Verizon I'm still wondering, is it worth the extra money?

Collapse -
US Cellular vs. Verizon
by Jlak64 / May 29, 2006 11:35 PM PDT

If you don't have any problems with USCC, I'd stick with them for now. An additional $20 a month isn't chump change unless you find yourself needing a lot more minutes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.