Speakeasy

General discussion

"Urine the Army Now", great title for an article on Women in

by Ziks511 / January 28, 2013 12:01 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Urine the Army Now", great title for an article on Women in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Urine the Army Now", great title for an article on Women in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you think women
by James Denison / January 28, 2013 12:19 AM PST

should be drafted into military services?

Collapse -
It could pave the way
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2013 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Do you think women

Make them sign up for the draft like like their male counterparts, take the physical, etc. From what I see of young and very fit women jogging or running along the roadways, there should be no shortage of those who'd pass.

Collapse -
My view of a "draft" is...
by James Denison / January 28, 2013 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: It could pave the way

...nobody under the age of 30 should ever be drafted. Seems foolish to send off those who can start the next generation before they've really had the chance to do so. Also those over 30 and up to age 50 if subject to a draft, might be more demanding on WHEN a draft could be instituted.

Collapse -
I've always felt it wrong to expect patriotism
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2013 3:32 AM PST

from those who'd spent their whole lives in schooling and never experienced what freedom really means.

Collapse -
I still think the draft should start with the oldest.
by Diana Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 8:42 AM PST

See how many wars are declared then.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) Equality is equality, so yes. Rob
by Ziks511 / January 29, 2013 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Do you think women
Collapse -
I couldn't care for squat
by Willy / January 29, 2013 12:38 AM PST

Hey Ziks, maybe you'll relate to this. After reading some books on the Iraq campaign on the 1st Gulf war. The convey was on the road to Baghdad, when it stopped or turnoff some time to refresh itself, guys jumped off and did a dump in the immediate area, sometimes close to peering eyes from villages, but some distance away. Yet, females, jumped off, using some tarp or cover, provided a makeshift wall, where they do their business. What do the females complain about once camp is up and running, HOT water. Guys are happy to have water, but hot is nice too. There will be problems as troops adjust to the situation but "love nests" are a concern everywhere. But, if you gotta go, you go and it doesn't matter once it becomes apparent that's just the way it is. Of course, don't try to separate it all, because your MOS tells you what you need to do, if the CO wants to impose their concerns, it may defeat the very idea and that never comes out well. ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Easy enough to resolve
by Steven Haninger / January 29, 2013 12:51 AM PST

We go with an all female army. Problems solved. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) I like that idea. Rob
by Ziks511 / January 29, 2013 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: Easy enough to resolve
Collapse -
not necessary
by James Denison / January 29, 2013 12:58 AM PST

Females in such areas carry a pee tube which allows them to piss just like a trooper, and without exposing themselves. Taking a dump is a different matter though.

Collapse -
MOS?? not familiar with that.
by Ziks511 / January 29, 2013 2:01 AM PST

But people, all people, do what they have to do. If it's taking a dump in the open, so be it. If taking a cape of camou material to shroud yourself, that makes a lot more sense to me whether male or female. A solid tarp would perhaps be too conspicuous.

There's a line from Harry Potter that is on point. The Room of Requirement forms into a refuge for Neville Longbottom at the end of HP7, Deathly Hallows. After some more people join him including a few girls, it develops a proper shower/bathroom, "Because some of us decided we'd quite like to wash." says Lavender Brown. Men traditionally are less fastidious than women, but that's just socialization, and not intrinsic to the gender.

You think partisans of both sexes in any country during WW2 cared much about washing, or the women of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, or the Women of the later Warsaw Uprising in 1944. Or what about all those women in the Soviet Army during WW2? Try chatting to Combat nurses from Viet Nam or earlier conflicts. They adopted whatever behaviour was necessary to get the job done. Most of the time they were well provided for, but when they weren't, the just did the job.

Rob

Collapse -
MOS refers to your job description
by Steven Haninger / January 29, 2013 3:34 AM PST

The term differs in other branches but means essentially the same thing. All of your duties and expectations are in writing. These change with grade and rank. All that you need to know to do your job is "in the book". In the USAF we also used TOs or Technical Orders when on the job. I worked in a Comm center on crypto gear. We had TOs telling us how to do everything. It was required to have the TO handy and open anytime you worked on equipment. This was doubly true when on the flight line. Those who maintained air craft would be better of dead than be caught working on a fighter jet without the proper TO opened and on the page for whatever procedure they were doing. These instructions are a way of taking away one's creativity and turning GIs into robots. No jerry rigging allowed. Happy

Collapse -
There's the
by James Denison / January 29, 2013 3:44 AM PST

right way, the wrong way, and then the Air Force way.

Collapse -
MOS = military occupation speciality
by Willy / January 31, 2013 2:12 PM PST

It really boils down that once all the dust settles, people will do whatever it takes. Sometimes that's good and other bad, but life goes on even in the military. What I feel is imposing such a standard in remote or forward areas as if they're back stateside. You're there to do the business at hand, not keep your boots spit shined(Oh Gawd) it happens. Sometimes, it's better to be at the front rather than the rear as too much emphasis is made of keeping appearance looking good. It's not about keeping stuff serviceable but rather all prettied up to look good. darn, I had a flashback... ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
painted rock borders
by James Denison / January 31, 2013 4:01 PM PST
"It's not about keeping stuff serviceable but rather all prettied up to look good. darn, I had a flashback..."

LOL, like white painted rocks for borders.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.