Storage forum

urgent recommendation for external port multiplier enclosure

by asinla--2008 / December 3, 2012 6:33 AM PST

Hi all.

I have had a terrible time recently trying to upgrade my storage on my 2008 Mac Pro. Let me elaborate...

I have a 2008 Mac Pro running 10.6.8. I have a Seritek 2SE2-E pcie sata card installed as well as the Newer Technology on board SATA extender giving me 4 total esata connections. I have 2 x 2bay Firmtek enclosures with 2 drives in each. I have had numerous problems with the power supplies of the Firmtek boxes and have bought 6 or 7 new ones over the years. Another one just went out so I decided to get a port multiplier enclosure as the Seritek card supports them.
I got the SnasDigital TR5M+ ecnlosure that came with the RR62 6gb card. Firstly, the drivers for the RR card basically destroyed my system and I could not even start up. I removed the card and connected the enclosure to the Seritek card. This seemed to work fine for a few days but now the system hangs at random times when the drives in the SansDigital are accessed. It has cost me so much time that today I finally removed the SansDigital altogether and went back to my original setup.

I need to get a new port multiplier enclosure to use as JBOD on this system. The Firmtek version is over $500. Has anyone here successfully used a port multiplier enclosure in JBOD setup on a Mac? Any recommendations for one that is less than $500?

Thanks for the help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: urgent recommendation for external port multiplier enclosure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: urgent recommendation for external port multiplier enclosure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
PS. Are you reading prior discussions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 7:49 AM PST

Why I ask is I'm going to drop any old ideas or solutions. My experience with eSATA is that it's fine for backup drives but for day to day work, I put the drive internal.

Again, use the prior discussions.

All Answers

Collapse -
I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 6:51 AM PST

Esata in my experience is for adhoc, when you need it connections and never something I'd consider for day to day, daily work setups. I can only guess that folk will have to discover this on their own.

It is a Mac Pro? Right? Why not pop the largest drives into the machine and use a few externals for backup?

Collapse -
by asinla--2008 / December 3, 2012 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: I have to go with no.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

All internal bays are currently in use already. I have a backup system in place that works well at the moment so I'd like to just keep it that way as opposed to buying new drives and having to copy and reconfigure everything.
I can't afford downtime so I'm looking for the simplest option. As I say, the Firmtek enclosure is robust and is used by more than a few of my colleagues. I just can't foot the $500+ bill for it right now.

Collapse -
Not in my view.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: esata

I've seen such fail as the users unplug and the contents scramble. Or the cable falls out.

Internal bays should accomodate a few of the nice 3TB drives so are you writing that 12TB of storage is not enough?

Maybe you need to ask more of your employee to foot the bill for this big data work?

-> I've run into a few Mac Pro users over the years and many are off in some unsupportable area. That is they have a flaky selection of gear. At the office we don't allow such because we can't afford the down time.

Collapse -
no fail here
by asinla--2008 / December 4, 2012 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Not in my view.

My data system is fine and dandy thanks.

It would cost way more for me to go out and buy 3tb drives then spend all the time copying and backing up the new drives etc etc.

A working port multiplier enclosure will do the trick perfectly so that's what I'm trying to find.

Thanks for your input though.

Collapse -
From what I see.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: no fail here

There are working port multipliers HOWEVER your issue is more basic. You need someone to dive in and figure out what happened to what you had. Something went wrong and the folk you are dealing with failed you or they are simply vendors and support is not there or "extra charge."

I can't offer you a direct answer other than I see such work but we move the folk back to internals because of the failures folk bring us.

My view is skewed I know because folk only bring us the failures. So we have a way to fix it in a solid fashion.

-> Your comment about drive costs seems out of date. That is, unless you are outside the USA. is now under 140 buck. And even 4 of those is cheaper than your 500 buck enclosure after you add any drives.

Besides you can change them one by one as needed.

--> It's always nice to read what folk are doing out there. You never revealed what's up with your system. or it's application.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.