Computer Help

General discussion

(urgent)changing disk type back to basic from dynamic....

by nikhilmauryac / March 2, 2013 12:20 PM PST

recently i was shrinking my disk volumes D & E to make a new drive in which i can install ubuntu using built in disk management in win 7 .but suddenly a message pops out saying that "Your disk volumes will be converted to dynamic if you continue" and then i pressed YES .(my biggest mistake) now my whole hard drive (including c) converted
into a dynamic disk.
i have tried all the methods available on internet to change it to basic but nothing worked.
i want to know:
1- if there is another method.
2-or i should format my whole drive and reinstall windows but plz make me sure that this option doesn't make my hard disk unusable.

and if once i format my hard drive then how will i be able to change it...

please please help me...thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (urgent)changing disk type back to basic from dynamic....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (urgent)changing disk type back to basic from dynamic....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Before you click that link...
by mchainmchain / March 2, 2013 9:05 PM PST
Collapse -
help...
by nikhilmauryac / March 8, 2013 12:34 AM PST

i dont care about data..i just want to format my system and reinstall windows because there are some problems and i want a new fresh windows..
please confirm me, if i delete my all partition would i be able to reinstall windows on a dynamic disk.
and one more thing i don't have any other hard disk(basic type) to take help of the other methods.

Collapse -
If you delete the partitions, should be ready for Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: help...

But let's be clear here. Microsoft has never supported installing Windows and leaving other OSes standing. So you would delete all the partitions leaving an empty drive. Now I can boot the Windows DVD and install.

But let me comment about the original post. I never had to shrink partitions like you noted with Ubuntu's installer. I would boot my Ubuntu DVD and it's installer would ask if I wanted to use the entire drive or if it should make space for Ubuntu.

At no point was I shrinking partitions. I think you overcomplicated the Ubuntu install.
Bob

Collapse -
what to do next..

ya i know i messed things up. so you are saying that i can format whole drive any then i can install windows again.my question is what about disk type would it change or remains dynamic.

Collapse -
No, I wrote to leave the drive blank.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: what to do next..

To format the drive would mean there are partitions to format. Try it with a blank drive.
Bob

Collapse -
i do not understand..
by nikhilmauryac / March 8, 2013 7:47 AM PST

sorry....but what do you mean by try it with a blank drive?? i have only one drive in my laptop(which is dynamic)

Collapse -
" delete all the partitions leaving an empty drive. "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: i do not understand..

You can do that with the Windows 7 DVD or go get GPARTED and delete the partitions. Formatting prior to installing is not advised for most folk.
Bob

Collapse -
so do i rinstall windows
by nikhilmauryac / March 8, 2013 1:37 PM PST

"Formatting prior to installing is not advised" what does that means that i simply reinstall windows without clearing the partition in which i already have window.please make yourself clear.

Collapse -
Re: Formatting prior to installing
by mchainmchain / March 8, 2013 4:43 PM PST

Since you do not care about the data on the drive, just let Windows 7 DVD clear out the all the partitions on the drive for you. This step will happen when you go to install/setup the new fresh Win 7 installation. It will then format and partition your drive for you, but if you do not remove the old partitions, then you will:

1.) Have much less disk space to work with and install your new os and programs
2.) Disk parameters from the old partition will remain, and the disk is likely to remain as a dynamic disk.

Removing all old partitions will set up your drive as a new one, and Win 7 will default to a basic drive setup when it formats and partitions your drive unless you tell it to do a dynamic setup.

Understanding the difference between basic and dynamic disks here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/understand-the-differences-between-basic-disks-and-dynamic-disks/5797060

Note that the author states that there is a catch: You can convert a basic volume to dynamic, but you cannot change or go back to a basic volume without erasing all data on the volume first.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.