TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Upscaling DVD Players without HDMI

by tnmtlm / November 28, 2006 11:39 PM PST

I have a Toshiba rear-projection HDTV capable of displaying up to 1080i, but it has no HDMI input. My HD signals are input via component cables. I'd like to replace my existing Toshiba progressive scan DVD player with a relatively inexpensive upscaling DVD player. But can upscaling from a DVD player occur without HDMI? If so, what kind of DVD player do you recommend? Thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upscaling DVD Players without HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upscaling DVD Players without HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by stewart norrie / November 29, 2006 1:36 AM PST

both h.d.m.i and d.v.i. will give you the same 1080I picture but d.v.i. does not output sound so with d.v.i. you must run the audio to the amplifier. Also if your t.v. has only one d.v.i. port you can run your d.v.d. player and cable or sat hi-def system with a switcher I have one and they even come with a remotew control steweee

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / November 29, 2006 5:42 AM PST

The OPPO 970HD DVD player will upconvert via component if you download a hack for the player. There was discussion about this, with a download link, on another website, but the general consensus was that you couldn't see any difference between the settings. I believe download the hack code will violate the warranty, so for me this wasn't an option. I have a Toshiba RPTV too that does not have HDMI and I investigated the same thing, but I decided to just use 480p as this already looked so good, and I will worry about HD DVDs when I get another TV to replace my old workhorse Toshiba. I've used the upconverting on my smaller Sony LCD TV and personally, I think this feature is over-hyped. There wasn't a night-and-day difference in image quality, and in fact I think the image seemed to have a bit more detail enhancement that seemed to distract me. Until I move to a true High-def DVD player, 480p via component or HDMI will be fine.

Collapse -
by tnmtlm / December 1, 2006 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: OPPO DVD Player

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not all that eager to jump into the middle of the HD DVD format war; I'll let it sort itself out. I was just looking to bridge the gap since my current Toshiba progressive scan DVD player seems to be dying. I figured if I could get a relatively inexpensive upscaling DVD player, that would be the best of both worlds.

Guess I'll just have to wait until I can get my hands on a PS3 to solve half my problems. Happy

Collapse -
Inexpensive Upscaling Player
by Dan Filice / December 1, 2006 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: Gracias...

The OPPO is not and HD player, it does "upscaling". It cost $149.00. It's one of the best rated players. It does "upscaling" via HDMI easily, but if you want to "upscale" via component, that's another story. The OPPO will do that by using a hack, which I don't use. There aren't many players that will do this via component. Personally, I would just stay with a good DVD player that gives the best 480p picture, and the OPPO does this better than 99% of the available players, according to the test results.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.