Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

UPS Power Supplies

by fvshaggy / October 3, 2006 1:35 AM PDT

Hello all,

I was wondering what power level UPS system I should get. I am running a desktop pc, monitor, dvd writer, and powered speakers. I also use a laser printer but that does not run all the time. Also what would happen if I plugged a Surge Protector into the UPS power box. Would it cause damage? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPS Power Supplies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPS Power Supplies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reply to UPS Power Supplies...
by John.Wilkinson / October 3, 2006 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: UPS Power Supplies

Which UPS to get depends on exactly what you plan on plugging into it. For instance, a 667MHz Intel Celeron system with a CD-ROM, integrated graphics, etc running off a 200W PSU will consume a lot less power than a desktop with a Intel Core Duo, 2 DVD burners, an ATI Radeon X1900 XT graphics card, etc running off a 600W PSU. Same goes when comparing a 15" CRT to a 19" CRT.

My suggestion would be to click here and use the APC UPS selector to help determine what's best for your setup. You don't have to purchase an APC UPS (Belkin is another good option, though I prefer APC for price and quality), but it will give you an idea of what to look for.

Something to keep in mind is that you also need to protect your phone line, coaxial cable line, etc since a surge can enter from any point, not just the power cable.

In regards to plugging a surge protector into a UPS, it's not recommended. It does not really provide you with any additional protection, it provides the potential to overload the UPS, it can cause grounding issues, and it may void the warranty on the UPS and/or surge protector so that if it doesn't work properly and you lose everything you are entitled to nothing. In short, I wouldn't do it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
APC - Starting Bad Behavior
by mikerc / October 3, 2006 11:37 AM PDT

I recently replaced my UPS with an APC XS 1200. The powerchute software v1.5 displays an ANNOYING splash screen at login.

I have been to the APC website tech support and they have instructions for applying a REG fix to stop the splash screen upto v1.4 and state that there is no option to stop the splash screen at v1.4 or above.

I would not have purchased the pig had I know what APC thought of their customers.

Search "Splash" on apc.com knowledge base for powerchute personal edition.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I believe that was addressed in v2.0.
by John.Wilkinson / October 3, 2006 12:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
APC support does not seem to think so?
by mikerc / October 5, 2006 1:41 AM PDT

Thanks John

I'll try V2 tonight and post the results.

I did get a response from APC that indicates that is not the case. See below.

---------------------------------------------------
Subject
---------------------------------------------------
Splash Screen - Must be turned off.

Discussion Thread
-------------------------------------------------------
Response (Prasanna Kumar Lalapura Krishnappa) - 10/05/2006 12:49 AM Dear Mikerc,

Thank you for contacting APC's email support on 10/03/2006 08:29 PM. I would be happy to assist you.

As per your e-mail, Its not possible to disable the flash Screen in the power chute personal edition 1.5 version onwards. If your using below version, please go to below link and follow the procedure to disable the flash screen.

Collapse -
John is correct - Powerchute v2 does allow elimination
by mikerc / October 5, 2006 7:37 AM PDT

John is correct - Powerchute v2 does allow elimination of the splash screen.

Would have been nice if APC had know that.

Thanks John!!

Collapse -
I have had good luck with APC
by m0kume / October 5, 2006 8:48 PM PDT

Please remember that most UPS devices sold in circuit city and compusa are meant to keep you up and running so you can shut down your system without data loss or system damage during a power outage/brownout. Don't make the mistake of some who keep working until the battery dies and lose data. that has happened to some people I know.

Also, some UPS models have two circuit paths. one for surge supression only and the other circuit for battery backup. So make sure you hook up your CPU to the battery backup circuit if you buy one of those.

Plugging a surge supressor should not hurt but the more items that are drawing power from the UPS, the shorter the battery life will be. don't overload the circuit.

Collapse -
UPS Power Supplies
by EGATES01 / October 5, 2006 10:03 PM PDT

I extensively shopped Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) both on the web and physically in stores about a year ago. I ended up buying the Geek Squad UPS at Best Buy. At the time I could find only two sizes and I bought the second largest (1285VA). I would've bought the higher rated one but they were sold out at the store I bought from. It's a feature packed unit with a function display unmatched anywhere else in the industry. There is eight electrical receptacles, four of them battery back-up. ALL of the receptacles are surge protected including the cable and telephone. The controlling software, once installed, is totally unobtrusive and also gives the owner (you) several power management options. Additionally, should the battery wear out or burn out, it's designed to be replaced by the owner and further, I think it's ''hot swappable''. That is, if you're just slightly handy, you can do it yourself without having to take it back to the shop. The amount of forethought for function and design and consequent manufacture deserves nothing but praise.
Since installing the unit, I've had one power interruption and the unit performed flawlessly with only a nearly inaudible ''click'' when my computer switched to back-up power. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have noticed the ''swap'' had occurred. I lost nothing during ''the swap''.
Oh, I DO NOT work for Best Buy, The Geek Squad or any of its affiliates. I'm just a very satisfied customer who's glad he did his homework before buying. Good luck, and I hope this little blurb is helpful not just to you, but to all those who may be in the market for a UPS.

Collapse -
UPS Back Up
by corbos / October 5, 2006 11:13 PM PDT

APC has the best protection I have found for battery back-up. The price is reasonable and it works great. I have the APC 350VA ES series and have had great success with it. If the power goes out or just electrical noise that could harm my pc, APC protects it. I've been able to keep alot of work when the power went out instead of losing it all.
You can find what you are looking for at www.apc.com.

Collapse -
American Power Company
by cesareDH / October 6, 2006 12:43 AM PDT

I have had three of their units over the past 10 years and have been totally satisfied. I just purchased my present unit which is a NS1250 at Sam's Club for $130, and it runs 2 complete computer systems, incl printers, scanners, turntable, hubs, etc. I have surge protecters plugged directly into the APS; no problems.
Their warranty is great in case something happens. My brother had a computer set next to an outside wall. Lightening came through the wall and cooked his machine. APC bought him a new computer even though the lightening did not get through their APS.
http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

Collapse -
UPS
by fkap1974 / October 6, 2006 2:49 AM PDT

I live in a rural area and my electric service averages at least 1 interupt a week. No kidding! It gets worse when it rains. I had used APC products in the past, when I was living in a nearby city, but when I moved out here, I bought a TRIPP-LITE Internet Office UPS. I believe it is superior to the APC equivalent.
I have a G5, 30inch monitor, usb hub, surge strip and 2 printers hooked to it. It gives more time to power down in a black out and bridges the gap in the mini brownouts (interupts). It beeps and I know it's doing its job. Additionally, I use a TRIPP-LITE ISOBAR surge protector on other equipment in my home office, including a G4 server, Powerfile changer, cable modem and wireless set up and my audio equipment.
I'm sold on TRIPP-LITE. http://www.tripplite.com/

Collapse -
ups
by labouton / October 6, 2006 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: UPS

I have an APC BF-500, Back-UPS Office 500, have used ut 24/7 for the last, maybe 4, or 5, or 6 years,,,I don't know.
In it's latest activation during those annoying brownouts and then a 3 or 4/60 outage, it was driving a 12 point power strip with 3 desktops, 2 laptops, 2 monitors on kvm, a printer, scanner, 3 ext hd's, a wifi router, and several of those ac adapters that run speakers, charge cell phones, blueteeth etc. I was fairly apprehensive when it occurred, as I was doing a temp network to consolidate data from various hd's and clean up the old junk, hence so much running @ once.
I have never used any ups software with it, but just went through a staged shutdown of all but one desktop, monitor, and router...and merrily plugged along till power returned.
I love this unit, and confess neglect, as I have never followed through on my intent to get one for each 'system' in the house, like the 'tv/amp/cd/dvd/vhs system' in the den, the kids entertainment system in the toy room etc.
This intent follows the best advice I have received on UPS's. "I don't believe in surge protection, and ups is over-rated, but I do believe in insurance," he said, as he rotated the packaging and showed the insurance notice on the unit." (Larry of Lair Gauche, MHK.)
But like laptops, (more Larry advice), check the price of replacement batteries. Case in point, the only price I've checked for the APC unit is 22 bucks, including shipping. Not Bad! But the biggest surprise came on an UPS I bought from the university surplus for 10 bucks. UNTESTED, screamed the labeling, and of course, the 4 6v units inside are swollen and vivsibly fried. Googling the device, I set my teeth to pages that spoke of 210 bucks for replacements, meaning it would be 10 down the drain, plus gas to drive it to the recycling ceter. But, I just now got a price of 11 bucks each, plus 6 for shipping from batteries.com. This makes all the diff!
So not having used the Best Fortress yet, no recommendation yet, but as far as the APC BF-500, I give it a 10/10.
Cheers!
gump

Collapse -
overloading the APS
by cesareDH / October 6, 2006 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: ups

If the APS has more then the recommended number of units connected, the warranty is voided, so it's a good idea to do a little research before you purchase one to know what model/size you'll need to meet your needs.

Collapse -
Agreed
by labouton / October 6, 2006 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: overloading the APS

Agreed on the overload, you appreciate my apprehension as the power was flickering. While obviously not an optimal solution, it nonetheless reinforced my faith in the BF-500, hence my recommendation of that unit.
Cheers!
gUMP

Collapse -
Another choice for your UPS
by JTHunter / October 6, 2006 4:13 PM PDT

In the 2nd post, John said:
"In regards to plugging a surge protector into a UPS, it's not recommended. It does not really provide you with any additional protection, it provides the potential to overload the UPS, it can cause grounding issues, and it may void the warranty on the UPS and/or surge protector so that if it doesn't work properly and you lose everything you are entitled to nothing. In short, I wouldn't do it."
That being said, I have done it. A 400 P2, a 17" CRT monitor, small speakers, HP printer, & scanner, are all in the surger arrest. It is plugged into one of the battery outlets of a Cyber Power Systems model 650SL (http://www.cyberpowersystems.com) for 6 years. Software is unobtrusive, and there is an audible beep for outages. The number of times that there has been a "glitch" (half a second to 2-3 sec.) are too numerous to mention. Computer has never twitched. One major power failure cought me in the middle of printing several pages (less than 10). While the printer continued, I safely shut down the computer with no losses at all. When the unit was about 2 yrs. old, the battery failed. Cyber Power had me return the unit via UPS and sent me a replacement. My only cost was the UPS fees. From failure to replacement was less than 2 weeks. I won't ever be without a battery backup.

Collapse -
Consider Tripp-Lite
by MikeyD215 / October 8, 2006 8:21 PM PDT

1. You should assess your needs solely in terms of utilizing the UPS as a device that will enable you to shut down safely, without losing any data. You should NOT view the UPS as something that will enable you to proceed merrily along for hours on end on your rig while everyone else around you is reading by candle light. If the latter is what you want to do then you should purchase a back-up generator.

2. I have been using Tripp-Lite equipment for years and years, both for my computers and various other electronic equipment (including high-end stereo). They have been in business for a long, long time. If I recall correctly they were manufacturing lightening arrestors for ham radio operators way back in the 1940s. Which is to say they know the business. I have seen Tripp-Lite UPS equipment available at Costco, and in fact purchased one there myself.

MikeyD215

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.