Samsung forum

General discussion

UPS or surge protector for Samsung LCD TV?

by Georgia in MS / June 30, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

What is needed to protect my TV? I have cable and satellite.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPS or surge protector for Samsung LCD TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPS or surge protector for Samsung LCD TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Surge ahead....
by Mr__S / July 1, 2008 3:41 PM PDT

Surge protector is fine... If money isn't an issue (or if you have access to a UPS for free) then a UPS would work provided it has protection against power surges (which most do).

Samsung doesn't have an official position on Surge Protectors. We don't recommend them or recommend against them but most people I know (including myself) use one. A little extra protection for a big purchase like an HDTV is always a good idea in my mind.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Georgia in MS / July 1, 2008 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Surge ahead....

Thank you for your response. I bought a Monster Cable PowerCenter HTS 2000. Funny that Samsung does not have a position on using surge protectors. I believe Sony REQUIRES a protector or it voids the warranty.

Collapse -
Having a Surge protector
by nwkurzrep / July 2, 2008 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I'm not sure about Sony "requiring" the use of a surge protector. That sounds like a trial waiting to happen. Would they require a certain joule rating? Seems strange, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Having a high-quality surge protector can not only help protect your gear from voltage spikes but certain models can clean up dirty AC sources improving your picture and audio more than you'd imagine.

Andy

Collapse -
Joules
by nkendall18 / July 3, 2008 4:05 AM PDT

I am going to buy a surge protector for my tv. How many joules would you recommend for a 46-inch samsung lcd tv?

Thanks!

Collapse -
personal opinion here....
by Mr__S / August 18, 2008 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Joules

nkendall18,

One thing to remember about the joule rating is that it?s the surge that the protector will take before it fails. Just to repeat, Samsung doesn't take a position on the ratings but I can give you my personal opinion. A very very conservative rating I would suggest would be 1300 joules. From there, the sky (and likewise the price) is the limit. And if the protector has a warranty, find out what the details are. Quite honestly, I?ve never had an appliance go out due to a spike, so I?ve never had to go redeem one.

That said, I?ll echo that the PowerCenters and UPS? have a reputation for streamlining the voltage. Based on what I heard, the benefit of this is that dirty power isn?t going to interrupt your television viewing (ex - a blender causing static in onle tube TVs).

Sorry to drop legal language again but I have to repeat that Samsung doesn't not have an official position on surge protectors. It's a personal choice. (This is only downside about a forum like this... I can't just speak normally with certain issues. I'm sure you understand).

Best,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Surge protector vs power filtration
by amacteacher / July 21, 2009 5:39 AM PDT

I understand the concept of a surge protector (I think). Lighting strikes the house and the surge protector protects your equipment.

But what about the dimming caused by other appliances coming on. Is that the same as surge protection. A sales person at Best Buy tried to sell me an expensive "power filter". He said any dimming shortens the lifespan of the tv.

I'm confused with the terminology - surge vs power filter.

What should I get for this tv and how much should I spend for one?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Collapse -
Surge Protectors
by CrotalusHH / July 21, 2009 7:58 AM PDT

Surge protectors are designed to limit the voltage that can enter via the power cord. They do nothing for a power dip. For that you need a UPS, or more correctly a Battery Backup. What people call a UPS is not really a UPS. A true UPS is on all the time and your TV probably won't like the switching noise.

Collapse -
No Position??
by garygladstone / July 14, 2009 11:35 PM PDT

>>>"Samsung doesn't have an official position on Surge Protectors. We don't recommend them or recommend against them..." <<<

Why is this? What's a consumer to think about a company that has no recommendations about devices designed to protect against a known hazard/

I think I hear the company lawyers talking here and not the folks who might actually care about Samsung's customers like me.

---GG

Collapse -
found this link at best buy
by mamontano / July 21, 2009 6:36 AM PDT
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=44FC35DC44671A683A210F6D1013A354?id=pcmcat93000050029&type=category

I've bought a couple of the $100 monster units over the years
as well as $20 units from walmart. No problems so far. May spend
more time researching this subject. Depends on what i'm protecting.
Tend to worry more about laptop, hdtvs, a/v system, etc. so i figured
there had to be a reason for difference in price. I guess the ones
that can take a couple of hits maybe better to protect expensive
stuff. Very informative link. Still will look for something comparable
to monster at a cheaper price. I don't buy monster stuff anymore.
Collapse -
I ended up buying a CyberPower 1350 last month
by Georgia in MS / July 22, 2009 7:50 AM PDT
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1350AVRLCD-Intelligent-LCD-Green/dp/B000OFXKFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248299132&sr=1-1

We always have those 'blips' of power when the power blinks on and off. One day it happened while the TV was on. I think the cable box took it harder than the TV. Nevertheless, I just did not like it.

So I bought the Cyberpower (don't have a clue why they have gone up $30 in a month). The power has done a blip and the TV and cable box stayed on just like nothing ever happened.
Collapse -
Power Filters
by amacteacher / July 22, 2009 9:29 AM PDT

I want to mount my TV on the wall and want to buy a powerfilter that I can hide behind the tv. There is an existing outlet where the tv will me mounted.

Any brands anyone can recommend?

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.