Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Upon opening task manager i have three iexplore.exe running

by metalsoft / July 21, 2010 8:29 AM PDT

My windows XP PC 2.8Mhz 2007 mfg date with all the current updates from Microsoft, windows defender, panda anti-virus, MS Office 2007 etc slows down considerably sometimes. I can hear the hard drive shift into 'overdrive' and then settle down. When i open the task manager CTRL/ALT/DEL and open the full view screen, click on programs tab, scroll down and there are THREE iexplore.exe running. All have 6 figures running in several categories in the kilobyte measurement. Why do i have three iexplore.exe running at the same time? I have a layered defense which is not to say that its bulletproof.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upon opening task manager i have three iexplore.exe running
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upon opening task manager i have three iexplore.exe running
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds Normal If....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 21, 2010 12:52 PM PDT

...you have three windows or three tabs open in Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
To Grif
by metalsoft / July 22, 2010 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds Normal If....

I thought of that thanks, further question. If i close one tab or window wait 5 minutes then reopen the task manager i still have three iexplore.exe commands running. If i close one sometimes they all close simultaneously. Your thoughts.

Collapse -
Internet Explorer Is Fickle
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 23, 2010 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: To Grif

What you're seeing isn't unusual.. Basically, IE must close "correctly" in order for each instance of iexplore.exe to disappear from Task Manager.. If it doesn't, then it may remain there for a while.....and sometimes, it will appear as "explorer.exe" which is Windows Explorer. explorer.exe is completely normal in Task Manager, as it's the framework which allows you to use Windows but sometimes, IE and Windows Explorer get confused..

As long as iexplore.exe eventually disappears after you've closed Internet Explorer, then you're good.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tabs do not equal browser invocations...
by Doh_1 / July 30, 2010 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds Normal If....

Just a comment here...While Chrome shows up a process per tab, for IE, each IE process includes all the tabs that are in use for that browser. So if you have one IE browser up with 10 tabs in use, you'll only see one IE process in the task manager.

Generally speaking, if you have only one browser up, the other processes that you see in the task manager are most likely previous invocations that didn't completely exit for some reason.

-Roger

Collapse -
Not Necessarily So.......
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 2:49 AM PDT

As to whether each tab shows as a different instance of iexplore.exe in the task manager, much depends on the version of IE, the operating system, and the hands of fate.. As just an example, I've got a Windows 2000 machine at work running IE6 where every new window in IE shows a new instance in Task Manager. (No tabs on that IE version) Not all similar computers show the same results. And then, on the computer I'm sitting at now, a Windows XP SP3, running IE8, when IE is first opened, TWO separate versions of iexplore.exe show up in Task Manager.. Upon opening the first tab, a THIRD instance of the program appears. But opening a fourth and fifth tab show no more increases in the listings in Task Manager.

Who'd a thunk?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
multiple instances of iexplore.exe
by metalsoft / July 31, 2010 5:26 AM PDT

Thanks for your feedback. I am running Windows XP Home Media Center w/SP3 on a HP 2007 build date. If i open a new window or a new tab (just like your scenario) i get two instances of iexplore.exe running in the task manager. If i open an additional window or tab, again just like the scenario you've described, i also get a third instance of iexplore.exe running in the task mgr EXCEPT that all the numbers are significantly lower like almost 10% of the six digit numbers in I/O reads, Kerns, CPU usage, Memory usage etc.
The first two windows or tabs consume, on average, 163 - 194k while the 3rd open window only consumes an average of approx 22k. My concern is that someone else has hacked into my pc. Anything more than six windows and it slows down considerably. With the exception of a news stream or google video all other applications are static; MS Word, Email etc.
Do you consider this normal?

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, It's Normal...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 31, 2010 7:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
path to the running iexplore.exe
by dhel975 / July 26, 2010 7:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
almost all replies are wrong!!
by itsec1 / August 3, 2010 1:33 AM PDT

problem with newbs they are only guessing. I have had this same problem, and only since upgrading to IE8. And I also use XP I am not impressed by the newer OS's, adding more graphics to interfaces wow that is so amazing text works fine for me thank you. It is obviously another microsoft bug that hasn't been addressed yet. I do not use tabbed browsing, set to open browser in same window for new pages, etc. Upon opening IE with NO tabs I automatically get 2 iexplorer.exe processes in task manager, and if I continue browsing in the same window I get more.

FYI, explorer.exe is the desktop. Don't be confused by the amateur responses. I am CompTIA A+ cert, B.S., C.I.S., would have more certs but I am working on another career because this one bores me, and have been in computers since Apple II and MS-DOS days. Yes I am old and grouchy, and have seen enough Duh-ohsoft fails to harbor that my guess is correct. Browser related problem for whatever reason the dorks at MS decided they needed multiple processes to help your browsing but forgot they are supposed to close them. The only person who was partly right is the one who said they do not close correctly, when in truth they shouldn't even start multiple (unless you use tabs). Trying to max out modern hardware with failed software, once again a flawed software engineering problem pops up. Hopefully fixed in the next browser if they aren't in such a hurry to rush out another one to try and keep up with competition, so much they as so many times before do not fully test and verify the software actually works correctly. After Vista and all this other crap they have put out I am this close |-| to going linux and staying there.

Collapse -
Sorry, You Seem To Have Mis-read Something...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 2:24 AM PDT

"Old and grouchy" doesn't work on this forum.. We like "Helpful"..

Just some notes: I don't see where "explorer.exe" was even mentioned except in one post to allude to the occasional occurance where iexplore.exe and explorer.exe/Windows Explorer overlap in their need to associate with each other and connect to the internet at the same time. (It's interesting to watch various firewalls ask for "explorer.exe" permission when "iexplore.exe" is opened.) Certs don't really matter here as even the un-certified can be helpful in passing along good information to those in need of it. "Thank You" responses from the members are probably a better judge of how much you know. Likewise, berating other suggestions, especially when they're basically correct, (The basic topci was: Is it normal to see multiple instances of iexplore.exe in Task Manager?) clearly shows who is an "amateur" and who is not. And indeed, your statement "Upon opening IE with NO tabs I automatically get 2 iexplorer.exe processes in task manager, and if I continue browsing in the same window I get more" is basically the same as most of the other responses. In other words, Yep, it's normal to see multiple instances of iexplore.exe in Task Manager.

Since we're all here to "Help" on this "Newbies" forum, please be kind.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
More Experience
by keqtech / September 11, 2011 10:39 PM PDT

I never bothered with 'Certifications', instead I focused on experience. I do have more than one degree in the sciences and have been involved in the technical field long before the first solid state device was used in commercial devices (TV's, Radios, etc.) Your response is not totally correct meaning it does not apply to all cases. This issue with multiple instances of IE running is due on a large part to malware and not Microsoft's poor design as you infer. I have used multiple tabs in the same instance of IE since they were introduced and have never had an issue with IE that was related to multiple tabs. Those having this problem of multiple instances of IE should scan their systems with a tool such as malwarebytes (in Safe Mode).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.