How To forum

Question

Upload MiniDV tape into computer NO FIREWIRE PORT. ARGH!

by wildchatt / February 25, 2013 6:29 AM PST

I have a prosumer-level video camera that records on MiniDV tapes. My circa 2008 VAIO did great uploading & editing both SD & full 1080 HD video but became outdated three years later. It could not handle the new HC version of SD cards, so I bought a new VAIO that was supposed to be even better for video editing. Unfortunately, I just discovered there is NO IEEE (firewire) port & I have an important tape I need to upload and edit ASAP.
I called Sony & they told me to buy a new, tapeless camcorder,saying that essentially my prosumer camera is a $4000.00 brick because computers don't include IEEE ports anymore. I tried buying a 4 pin IEEE to USB cord which was a waste of money - WIndows 7 said it doesn't recognize it.
Is there any kind of adapter, converter, or transfer device I can use to get video from a MiniDV tape into my computer via the USB ports? I'm desperate. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upload MiniDV tape into computer NO FIREWIRE PORT. ARGH!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upload MiniDV tape into computer NO FIREWIRE PORT. ARGH!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 6:52 AM PST

There is no Firewire to USB adapter for a few bucks. That question comes up a lot and some folk lash out about that.

Sony is no longer making the no-PC transfer deck but you can find them on Amazon and any old desktop can do the capture for under 20 bucks for a firewire card.

Your camcorder is not a brick. But you will find folk that won't use another PC to do the transfer step.
Bob

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to edit typo on 12/15/2014 at 9:00 AM PT

Collapse -
PS. Link about the device I mentioned.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: No.
Collapse -
Video transfer
by wildchatt / February 26, 2013 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: No.

I gave up & used an old laptop to capture the video, then transferred it to a portable hard drive, then transferred it to the new laptop where I edit the video. Uploading footage now requires 3 steps instead of one, a time factor I was hoping to avoid. Also, as the years go on, Windows PCs become unusable. My formerly top of the line Vaio desktop's C drive is out of memory space & only has Windows updates on it. Upgrading the C drive is likely a waste of money since it's XP & that's going the way of the dinosaur as well.
Direct to DVD is not an option for me since I only use tape when I need exceptionally high quality audio & video like for weddings, etc.

Collapse -
Sorry for the typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Video transfer

I see my letter t dropped out. At the office we have a few desktops and there is no sign that firewire cards are not going off the market anytime soon.

Bob

Collapse -
For this price, this thing may be worth a try
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: Video transfer
Collapse -
So far, no cable like that works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 7:13 AM PST

Sure, folk sell such but the only folk that claim it works, sells them.
Bob

Collapse -
you're right
by wildchatt / February 26, 2013 12:38 PM PST

That's the cable I bought for $2.00 w/ free shipping...& it didn't work. I know the companies like Sony have the capacity to make something that would allow tape to be captured on the most current models,but they don't want to...they want to force us to upgrade, which is how I ended up w/ this computer after upgrading my camera.

Collapse -
I felt no force at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: you're right

The firewire is not on consumer models but on the business models. I don't want to upset you but keeping an old piece of iron around for the occasional capture is par for the course. Ask anyone with a SCSI scanner.
Bob

Collapse -
Does that laptop have a PC slot?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 8:57 PM PST
In reply to: you're right

Failing that, I know someone who has a Dazzle Hollywood DV bridge that takes in Firewire and puts out USB.
Normally used for converting Analog video to Digital, it also enables Digital Video to pass thru

P

Collapse -
Answer
MiniDV take to PC
by DensG / February 3, 2014 9:36 PM PST

This answers the same question for me. I've given up now trying to xfer via USB. I have an XP desktop with Firewire (which I hadn't used till now). So I now
(1) xfer from camcorder, thru Firewire to the old'ish XP desktop, then
(2) copy n paste the file(s) to a memory stick then finally
(3) copy that to my Win8 laptop.

2 steps back and 1 steps forward BUT it works. Grin If its any help to anyone, go see a computer market and look for an old'ish desktop tower with a Firewire port. Should get 1 for just a few pounds.

Alternatively message me thru here and I'll convert your tape to disk.

Collapse -
Answer
YES!!!!!
by NB_Goalie / February 23, 2014 9:24 PM PST

I had been searching for over a year for a solution. I have lots of mini-dv tapes and recently purchased a new Toshiba Qosmio laptop with no Firewire port. I found that Pinnacle used to make a box called the MovieBox. The have replaced it with another device that does not have a firewire port so don't look at those. When I first bought the MovieBox the software that came with it would crash (Pinnacle Studio 14). I bought a Pinnacle Studio 17 for $50 and voila! I now have all of the functionality I used to have. Make sure you use the cables that came with the Movie Box. Even though my older cables fit they did not work. You can control the camera from the Import window just like I used to be able to when I was capturing direct. The Movie Box still seems to be available at a lot of various websites. I bought mine off of ebay. The total cost of everything was less than $100 so I am pleased.

Collapse -
Video showing this box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: YES!!!!!
Collapse -
question
by fer3914 / August 20, 2014 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: YES!!!!!

Hello. How did you connect the moviebox to your toshiba?

Collapse -
Watch the video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2014 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: question

I see they showed it there.

Collapse -
The Movie Box is connected to the computer by USB
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 21, 2014 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: question

which is the default output for the Movie Box.

Beware when purchasing one though, you have to get the version that has Firewire IN and USB out.
A lot of them are USB to USB

P

Collapse -
quality
by fer3914 / August 22, 2014 12:24 AM PDT

Do you lose definition when transferimg through usb?

Collapse -
Maybe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2014 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: quality

Try it and see. The problem is that for some folk there is no other option. That is they are loathe to use the old PC or setup the old system to do this.
Bob

Collapse -
Ever consider a Mac Book Air or Mac Book Pro,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 25, 2014 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: quality

Both with a Thunderbolt connection.

Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter is available and is known to work.

P

Collapse -
Answer
simply buy a blackmagic shuttle
by ryanwilliamz / December 9, 2014 1:14 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Too many 1 star reviews.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2014 1:18 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.