Windows 7 forum

Upgrading Windows 7 Family Pack over XP

by flakvierling / March 31, 2013 11:01 AM PDT

I have been trying to clarfy the requirements to upgrade to W7 from XP but the normal responses are swamped by discussions about OEM upgrades. I understand that I am not entitled to use an OEM OS.
I have had a rolling upgrade of my computer for some years now and have now run out of re-activations on my XP licence. I have enough leftover bits to make two other computers for the children so think a Family Pack option is logical.
What I need help with understanding is;
Can I use a W7 Family Pack (FP) upgrade (VUP I think its called) over an XP installation or are W7 upgrades only for use over lesser versions of W7? Also, does the requirement to do a clean install over XP mean I actually need a retail version for upgrade?
If I can use the W7 FP upgrade over XP are the extra two licences usable on children's computers or can I only use one of the licences over the current XP install?

Hoping for clarification

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading Windows 7 Family Pack over XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading Windows 7 Family Pack over XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
About run out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 12:21 PM PDT

If you own that license you can get more activations by calling it in. No one but MSFT will issue this.

I have the family pack and did not need an os to install from the pack. The issue of 32 to 64 bit is well discussed so I won't cover that here.

Collapse -
Upgrading W7 Family Pack over XP
by flakvierling / March 31, 2013 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: About run out.

Thank you Bob.

I take it then I can get two more XP activations from MS for the children's computers to be the licenced XP for W7 to upgrade even if I don't physically load XP on those computers.

Collapse -
Actually I've done this over a dozen times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 3:06 PM PDT

Microsoft seems very good at the activations. That is, I paid for the OS so there is no problem when I change motherboards, etc and need a new key.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / March 31, 2013 11:47 PM PDT

No, you have to first buy an additional license for each computer. All the activation process ever did was add some teeth to the Windows license, and prevent people from doing exactly what you're trying to do. When you buy a copy of Windows, you're buying a license to use that single copy of Windows on a single computer. You can't just buy one copy and put it on every single computer in the house. This has always been the way the Windows license was worded, but XP marked a major escalation in Microsoft's efforts to enforce that part of the license.

What Bob is talking about is activating Windows on the same computer, or even decommissioning one computer and transferring the license to another. Of course that's when you get into the whole fun of OEM vs retail licenses.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.