The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Upgrading to a new smartphone! Comments as to why/why not?

by nthsquare / December 19, 2006 12:52 AM PST

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Treo 680, I currently have a BlackBerry. Was wondering what you BOLers out there have to say, if there is something else I should consider. I personally like the Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile. If you have suggestions, please let me know. It would be a great help in making my decision.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading to a new smartphone! Comments as to why/why not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading to a new smartphone! Comments as to why/why not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a matter of what you do.
by Renegade Knight / December 19, 2006 1:04 AM PST

If all you do is basic PDA things like contacts, appointments, todo list, & email. It really doesnt' matter what smartphone you use and the Blackberry is good at that.

If you want to expand your PDA abilities to other things like mapping, eBooks, MP3 Player, Video and the hundreds of other things they can do, then a Palm or Pocket PC based smartphone makes a lot more sence. Since you like palm and since palm isn't broke there isnt' a problem with the direction you are heading.

The only one I'd avoid in that latter case is Symbian. They have implemented some kind of validation before a program can be run and that would rule out the vast majority of the kinds of applications that I use on my PDA that make it helpful.

Collapse -
by nthsquare / December 19, 2006 3:54 AM PST

Thanks Renegade... I guess if I put up a few more details, it might be better.

Ideally, I'd like something that has/does all/most of the following:

- Plays nice with PC/Mac
- Bluetooth enabled
- Views: PDF, MS Office docs, photos
- Web browser, e-mail and the typical apps (calendar, tasks, etc.)
- Stylus or touchscreen (which limits me to Palm, I know)

I guess I just seem to have a bias towards Palm, so if anyone has any suggestions otherwise, let me know.

Collapse -
Your still fine.
by Renegade Knight / December 19, 2006 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: Details...

There are smart phones in Pocket PC and Palm that use a stylus. My wife has the same critera. It rules out some well rated phones but it's hard to be that way of entering data.

Both palm and pocket pc have apps for easy syncing with your computer. Not a problem.

Palm perhaps doesn't have as good of a native solution for Word docs, but they do have solutions (take a look if the Cleavview suite does Palm) for viewign and probably editing as well.

You seem to know what you want, just start looking at the devices and see what filters out. Don't rule out Pocket PC smart phones and limit your options until you are ready to make the choice.

There are not a lot of smart phones that meet your criteria. Once you find them you will probably have an easy decision as to which one is the one.

Collapse -
I just might have the phone for you
by roflfalafil / March 30, 2008 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Details...

I have the palm Centro for AT&T, and I like it a lot. It fits all of your criteria, and its only 99 bucks. It's a deal that cant be beat.

Collapse -
(NT) hopefully he bought a phone by now ;)
by robstak / April 1, 2008 11:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) I agree
by b47619 / April 1, 2008 11:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
by thriftyT / April 2, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

I have a Palm Centro through Sprint. Best $99 I ever spent.
A few minor bugs, but nothing to write home about.

If you're in the market for a smart phone and can wait a few months, some exciting developments are coming:

- $49 smart phones will be available by the end of the year in the U.S. (speculation)
- 3G iPhone
- miscellaneous iPhone imitators (e.g. Samsung Instinct) coming soon.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.