Tablets forum

Tip

Upgrading tablet - recommendations?

by k8travels / April 13, 2013 4:20 PM PDT

Hi - I currently have an iPad 2 and am considering upgrading to a new tablet. As a general rule, I use my iPad for a very limited use case - I am on the road a good bit and use my iPad as a portable entertainment studio. 95% of what I use it for is to watch movies (stored on the local memory and Netflix mostly), a few simple games (Sudoku, Angry Birds, nothing with major graphics) and random web-surfing. Below are my priorities - in order - for what I would like to have with an upgrade.

1. Battery life (watching up to 3+ movies w/o having to charge is ideal)

2. Screen size (10" is a requirement)

3. Memory (this is my biggest complaint about any apple product - well, this and their insistence on making everything proprietary - 64gb just isn't enough memory. I did notice that the 4th gen apparently has a 128gig option but I think it's a little $$$$ for what I need. I want something that has expandable memory options - perhaps I can carry a couple different memory cards with additional movies?)

4. Wifi only (my iPad 2 has the 3g option but it was unnecessary for me to get that, I've never used it)

All that said, I would prefer an Android, I've had 4 Android phones and far prefer them to the iphone 4s I have for work.

When I first started looking for tablets 2 years ago, the iPad was the best in the market for what I was looking for...I'd hoped that 2 years later there would be viable Android options that met my needs but I've found all the reviews a bit overwhelming. I'm hoping some of you in this forum will be able to offer some good advice and insight towards my specific requirements based on your own or friends' experiences.

Thanks very much!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading tablet - recommendations?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading tablet - recommendations?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About that memory.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 2:24 AM PDT

I picked up a WiDrive and can shuttle more stuff around for less bucks than having the internal memory.

However, the office picked up a Transformer with dock for under 400 bucks refurb at woot.com that has your 14+ hour battery time you seem to crave. It's really a great unit. We also have at the office the Google Nexis 7 which I will not detail it's particulars but think the Asus Transformer may be your storage king with 2 memory card slots and maybe more.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the rec
by k8travels / April 14, 2013 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: About that memory.

Thanks, Bob. Your suggestion of the Transformer lines up with a lot of good reviews I've read about the Asus Transformer TF700T.

Do you happen to know if there's a "Jelly Bean" update for it yet? Also, any idea on whether or not video files I have currently for my ipad (mp4 and digital download format - I can't seem to find the source files for this but I'm guessing it's also mp4 or similar) will transfer to the Transfermer? I believe the answer is yes but don't want to make assumptions, if I don't have to.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the rec

But I have to defer to the maker on that jelly bean. If the seller or maker won't answer pre-sales questions and it's not at their web site, this has me write you don't want their products.

I think the office model is a TF300T and it's at Android 4.1.1. There are folk that want to chase the Android versions and for them I think I'll just watch them run. I apologize if this offends anyone.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.