Phones forum

Question

Upgrading Samsung Tocco F480 to iPhone5 problem

by AlexTyrrell1954 / January 28, 2013 10:54 AM PST

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I'm upgrading from my Samsung Tocco F480 to an iPhone5. Can anyone who has did this offer me any help on the best way to achieve the changeover? I know I'll have to cut my full size sim card to a nano card but I think I'll go into Carphone Warehouse or somewhere and get that done. If I understand things properly the iPhone5 doesn't store phone numbers etc. on the sim as it has plenty of memory and that there is a way once I have the sim card in the iPhone5 to retrieve all my contact details from it. My problem is that in the Samsung I seem to have some contacts on my sim card and some on the phone. I assume I need to have them all on the sim card but how do I actually do this? Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated as I don't want to screw up the switchover. Cheers.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading Samsung Tocco F480 to iPhone5 problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading Samsung Tocco F480 to iPhone5 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Get out your Samsung user manual
by Pepe7 / January 28, 2013 11:17 AM PST

Go to 'Phonebook' > 'Options', then scroll down the contact list. Now hit 'Save to SIM'

You're done Wink

In addition to that, simply upload all your contacts to the cloud somewhere, this way you won't have to be as worried about accidentally losing them when you switch handsets/cut the SIM down to fit, etc. It might mean backing up your SIM with a SIM adapter for your PC, and/or using the awful Samsung PC Suite software. YMMV. I'll be honest though, once you get your contacts into google, there's a heck of a lot of flexibility in getting them onto your i-Device.

Visit howardforums.com for more concrete details as well. It's a very helpful site.

Collapse -
If it were that easy I'd have did it already!
by AlexTyrrell1954 / January 28, 2013 9:10 PM PST

You say get out your Samsung user manual. I did that already and there is nothing in it regarding moving contacts from the phone to a sim card hense the question.

Regarding Phonebook > Options. The only options I have when I do this are View, Video Call, Send Message and edit. That's it. There is no 'Save to Sim' option.

I have already went through the phone from top to bottom and I can't find a way to do this which is why I asked the question here.

Collapse -
Unless your carrier has eliminated this feature...
by Pepe7 / January 29, 2013 5:34 AM PST

...with their firmware, you should be able to scroll down all the way to the bottom of the list of contacts, where you should see the 'Save to SIM' option.

Most people who post here have *not* gone through the user manuals, which is why I always suggest it as well, FWIW.

Collapse -
Tried that
by AlexTyrrell1954 / January 29, 2013 7:07 AM PST

Afraid not, tried that already. The only thing at the bottom of my contact list is a friend who's name starty with Y!

Collapse -
In that case, you need to inquire @ Hofo
by Pepe7 / January 29, 2013 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: Tried that

Hopefully your post there will get a reply. I'm curious if it is actually locked out by the carrier ROM, or we are simply not looking in the correct place Wink

Collapse -
Don't think so.
by AlexTyrrell1954 / January 29, 2013 8:02 PM PST

I don't think I'm looking in the wrong place as I have opened every single thing on the phone to check and found nothing which relates to the sim or contacts.

Collapse -
Have you .....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 8:42 PM PST
In reply to: Don't think so.

.....tried to contact Samsung support yet ??

Collapse -
Yes
by AlexTyrrell1954 / January 29, 2013 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: Have you .....

Yes I have sent them an email requesting support but not had any word back yet. I tried three times to install that Samsung Kies or whatever it is called to see if anything there would help but it wouldn't install properly and therefore wouldn't run. I have just installed my original copy of PC Studio to see if that will help, although from what I have read about it I doubt it!

Collapse -
Contacting Samsung is like...
by Pepe7 / January 30, 2013 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

....jumping into a deep, hot volcano IME ;(.

How about contacting your cellular carrier, provided you obtained the handset from the carrier(?)
For example, ATT has a support forum online where their reps/enthusiasts can walk you through some features/options. Usually they only help w/ handsets that have their ROM though. YMMV.

Collapse -
Actually it depends on the subject.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 6:10 AM PST

I've gone to a few Samsung Developer meetings and the people are nice enough but a little gun shy over the consumers that tend at assault them.

They can't talk about things like their Smart Hub servers going down.
Bob

Collapse -
Kies & PC Studio are both buggy
by Pepe7 / January 30, 2013 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

I would still try the New PC Studio, which is supposed to be compatible with newer Samsung phones like yours. Worth a try anyway. Link:

http://pages.samsung.com/ca/pcstudio/English/

Try exporting as a CSV from PC Studio-
http://csvcontacts.wordpress.com/samsung-to-iphone/

Someone has reported it worked importing to iPhone using iOS 6.02-
http://csvcontacts.wordpress.com/import-contacts-to-iphone/

Also, getting your contacts into Google/Gmail from the CSV gives you (several) options to get them into your new iPhone 5, FWIW. Maybe all of them aren't on your SIM/phone, but you could manually re-add the missing ones, then proceed from there to get them into Google.

Collapse -
Update
by AlexTyrrell1954 / January 30, 2013 7:16 PM PST

Thanks everyone for the help but the problem is now solved. I took the phone into Carphone Warehouse and they managed to get it sorted. Seems that something was locked but it's working okay now. They advised me to move all my contacts onto the phone rather than the sim and then order a new sim from my carrier. Put it into my old phone using a converter and move everything back from the phone to the sim. I guess another option would be to move using bluetooth from the Samsung to the iPhone5. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Sounds like Carphone Warehouse...
by Pepe7 / January 31, 2013 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Update

...is suggesting a bit of farting around Wink

Get those contacts into Google somehow. Trust me, moving to an iPhone, it's the preferred method.

Glad you got some local help though.

cheeers

Collapse -
That's for sure!
by AlexTyrrell1954 / January 31, 2013 7:05 AM PST

I'll maybe try and move them tomorrow using bluetooth. Phone only arrived today and I don't even have the Nano sim card yet as I only ordered it from Orange this morning.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.