PC Hardware forum

Upgrading processor (Chip)

by ordsie / January 2, 2013 12:57 AM PST

I have an older Gateway GT5453E running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 duel core 4200+ 2.2 Ghz. The socket is AM2. I'm running Vista 32, I also have 3G's of Ram.

It's been hard trying to find what would be a good chip upgrade over this one. Yes, it can be an older one.

Any suggestions or can you point me in the right direction?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading processor (Chip)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading processor (Chip)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Keep in mind the upgrade will yield marginal improvements.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 1:01 AM PST

I change the video card to get more zip for the buck. That's a supported path of upgrades and I find CPU upgrades to be nothing but trouble.

Collapse -
also put in new Geforce 620
by ordsie / January 2, 2013 1:09 AM PST

I've already put in a new PSU and video card. It's not for hard core gaming or anything like that. Just trying to improve over what it is now.

Collapse -
Link about that CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 1:24 AM PST
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%204200+%20-%20ADA4200DAA5BV%20%28ADA4200BVBOX%29.html shows a 939 socket and the family only goes to 2.4GHz. That's less than 10% gain in CPU clock speed and if you run benchmarks you usually get about a quarter of that payback. That is, your benchmarks will notch up about 2 to 3% and something that took 60 seconds will complete in 58 to 59 seconds.

Not much payback.

-> Take a look at the hard disk drive. Is it some older 5400 RPM model? If so a drive I really like is this HYBRID that side steps the full SSD cost.

Yes, it's a 2.5 inch but the performance is really great.
Collapse -
Its a Windsor Chip AM2 socket
by ordsie / January 2, 2013 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: Link about that CPU.

I ran that and its a windsor AM2 socket.

I'll give it some thought to a new HD too.

Collapse -
Download, install and run CPU-Z
by VAPCMD / January 2, 2013 1:46 AM PST

This will ensure you have the exact info on the CPU and the socket it fits in. I just searched on the info provided and one result was Socket 939 and another showed Socket AM2. Perhaps they are the same and the fact that I have a socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, I can't confirm that at the moment.

The other thing is mfgs like Dell, Gateway, HP, etc., don't build PCs for users to upgrade...especially the CPU. So although a new CPU may fit in the old CPU socket, it doesn't guaranty the new CPU will be recognized or work properly. But if you still want to do it... just be aware 'it ain't a sure thing'.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Good ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 1:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Upgrade the processor ... what's the budget ?
by VAPCMD / January 2, 2013 1:14 AM PST

How is the PC used....general use, gaming and is it used to generate income ?

Replacing/upgrading the CPU itself may not yield noticeable performance results depending on use. On the otherhand, upgrading the graphics card (GPU) might have dramatic effect if you use the PC mainly for gaming.

Collapse -
PC is use for alittle more than general use and gaming.
by ordsie / January 2, 2013 1:23 AM PST

I see I replied the first time in the wrong spot. So I have upgraded the graphcis card already and the PSU. My budget is not more than $150 for a new chip. Yes, the computer is a few years old, but an improvment is still an improvement without going out and dropping several hundred for a new system I really don't need.

Collapse -
Here's some info that might be of interest IF you still
by VAPCMD / January 2, 2013 5:53 AM PST

want to explore the CPU upgrade. The additional caution is the CPU HS Fan for these. A lot are sold 'bare' so you'd have to get an HS Fan, OEM or aftermarket, to go with it. Beware of the CPU upgrade for an OEM PC...it could work great but more likely it's a path to headaches and money not well spent.

Let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
Save for a new PC
by wpgwpg / January 2, 2013 1:24 AM PST

As others have said, trying to upgrade that CPU isn't going to help you much. I'd wait until I could spend at least $400 and get a new PC with 6 GB RAM, maybe 1 TB hard drive, and a 64 bit version of Windows. I prefer Windows 7 to 8, but it's going to get hard to find a new PC with Windows 7. The newer CPUs have pretty decent integrated graphics unless you're a hard core gamer.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Looked at it some more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 5:14 AM PST

The details about the motherboard are apparently a state secret. I'm sure you tried to google it and from the looks of it, this is one bizarre board. I did find the CPU on AM2 but it's family line is not one that includes that CPU.

It's as if they were cleaning out the shelf of old parts and made something to use up parts.

As it stands you should look at anything but the CPU.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.