Laptops forum

Upgrading OS on Acer One Aspire AOA150

by sassy9346 / September 11, 2013 4:39 AM PDT

Microsoft will no longer supporting XP after April 2014 and my Acer AOA150-1577 N27 works JUST FINE! Anyone know of a way to upgrade the XP home edition originally installed on this netbook to some OS that is still supported?

I HATE throwing away perfectly good computers...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading OS on Acer One Aspire AOA150
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading OS on Acer One Aspire AOA150
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Such is not supported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2013 4:41 AM PDT

I looked and found no support at all for these upgrades. I read your post and it appears you must have a supported OS so how true is this demand?

Would you be OK with installing Ubuntu?
Would you pay for support?

Collapse -
Would prefer a windows OS
by sassy9346 / September 11, 2013 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Such is not supported.

I have a ton of 32-bit software - my netbook is my "backup" of my office computer that I can take with me when I have to be away. I'm not sure that all that software would run under Linux and would prefer a Windows OS, AND can't afford to reformat my drive - it would need to accept an UPGRADE without destroying all files and data.

This is really one of those things that bugs me about Microsoft - everyone should just go and buy all new stuff. I remind everyone about how "wonderful" ME and Vista turned out to be. Stable operating systems should be supported forever.

Collapse -
Just a read for you.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 11, 2013 8:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
You can get support for a fee.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2013 9:20 AM PDT

I didn't write that you can't find support. And let's use the CAR as an example.

Last weekend I saw a Model T under it's own power. It is not supported by Ford and I'd love to hitch a ride and drive into a Ford service center to ask for repair or support.

Why not ignore everyone, keep your backups current and use it till it drops dead?

Collapse -
Well if you plan to go to Windows 7
by orlbuckeye / September 16, 2013 12:34 AM PDT

I could purchase that soon. I would back up all your data so you can use it when and if you upgrade the OS. Companies don't support old products because it's to costly. They have to put their resources into the new stuff. I work as a software administrator and we're told we have to upgrade Software because the our current version if going off support. What that end of support really means is MS won't do security updates to fix problems with XP.

Your going to have to reformat if you upgrade to Windows 7 and do a clean install but you could restore your data after the upgrade and you would have to reinstall you apps.

As far as 32 versus 64 bit. You shouldn't have much problem running 32 bit apps in Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. The problem are running 64 bit software in a 32 bit OS our running 16 bit software in the 64 bit OS.

Collapse -
Well you could partition the hard drive
by wpgwpg / September 11, 2013 10:43 AM PDT

If I read right that netbook has a 160 GB hard drive. You could partition it and install Windows 7 in the new partition, but it would be painfully slow with that Atom CPU and only 1 GB of RAM. If you stick with XP, it's going to get increasingly hard to get antivirus programs, new software, and new devices to work with it.
It costs MS a lot of money to support an old version of Windows. They've supported it for 12 years, which if you think about it is pretty reasonable. I think they've lost their minds putting out Windows 8 like they did, but up until they pulled that act of lunacy, they did a lot of very good things.

Collapse -
Here we added some reason to Windows 8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

The office (which is sadly not as funny as The Office) banned W8 for a time until we found Classic Shell. A little testing and we are now using W8 on the new machines without any big issue.

For us this is a big deal since we need our apps to just work.

Collapse -
Good Things????
by EZRIDER714 / September 12, 2013 2:35 AM PDT

Like ME and Vista I guess...

Collapse -
Good things like these
by wpgwpg / September 12, 2013 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Good Things????

MS put out 6 good releases of DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, XP, and Windows 7 which most agree were very good releases. I remember ME being pretty buggy at first, so I upgraded to XP in less than a year. Vista got a bad rap mostly because of the need for new drivers, a few new devices had to be replaced, UAC, and some had a problem with slow copies. I did have to buy a new scanner for it, but that's really the only problem I had with it in about 5 years of use. I still have it on my 5 year old test PC in dual boot with Windows 8 (which isn't bad with Classic Shell). I will say this - I look forward to MS getting a new CEO, I just hope they get a good one.

Collapse -
Don't let them scare you
by Vince53 / September 15, 2013 6:43 AM PDT

As the time draws near, make sure that you have all anti-malware updated. After the deadline, different companies will still upgrade for XP. By the time you pay for a new operating system, deal with the fact that you've lost your drivers, and dealt with the fact that your computer probably won't run the new OS well, you can spend $20 extra and buy a new laptop, more powerful than the one you have, with the newest OS.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.