PC Hardware forum

Question

Upgrading old computer with SATA controller card advice?

by j_in_east_tx / January 4, 2012 11:51 AM PST

Hey all, I'm trying to bring some life to an old computer - Dell Dimension 8200, by installing a SATA HD controller card.

I also have a small footprint Dell that I have been using that does have a SATA drive, however the spring-loaded 'circuit breaker' that breaks an electrical connection when the interior overheats has broken in that machine. I'm still using it, thanks to the use of a jumper wire, but am not happy with that solution - thus prompting me to upgrade the older machine.

I've already tried a SATA controller card that I now see was designed as a RAID controller. I'm not using a RAID system, but I naively put that card into the Dimension, hooked up the SATA drive from the other computer, and booted up.

Shortly into the Windows XP splash screen, I got a Blue Screen telling me that the system was stopping in order to prevent something dangerous from happening to the system. Hmmm...

Question - will a SATA controller card designed for a RAID system not work with a single hard drive?

What I'd like to happen is that I put in a controller card and my existing hard drive into the Dimension, the XP OS on the HD automatically recognize the controller and then boot up.

Is this a reasonable thing to expect?

If so, can anyone recommend a SATA controller card that will do this in a plug-and-play fashion?

I'd think there would be a chicken-and-egg issue with respect to installing drivers on a hard drive for recognizing a new HD controller card.

Thanks for any help,
John

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading old computer with SATA controller card advice?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading old computer with SATA controller card advice?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So far the only thing I needed was
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 1:00 PM PST

A SATA CARD with the onboard ROM to enable it to boot.

"Is this a reasonable thing to expect?"

Sorry no. This is not something that has been designed to do that. We had a member go though all sorts of trials and they seemed to never try the SATA card that could boot. The ones that can boot have an onboard ROM (or flash) that enables this to work very closely to what you ask. But then again you wrote "XP" which does throw a wrench in to the works.

XP has that nasty 127GB limit and will be tough on some to install.
Bob

Collapse -
127 GB limit not a problem
by j_in_east_tx / January 4, 2012 1:09 PM PST

Thanks for the reply - a couple of things:

The 127 GB limit won't be a problem as the SATA drive I want to use is only 80 GB.

I've looked some more and saw what might be another option - an adapter that connects between a SATA drive and the IDE socket on a motherboard. Found one on Amazon for less than four bucks including shipping, so I'll give that a try.

Collapse -
Answer
See link below....
by VAPCMD / January 5, 2012 9:19 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.