Desktops forum

Upgrading my desktop

by newmanchris84 / March 3, 2012 10:52 PM PST

I am looking to upgrade my desktop, I currently have:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.83GHz
2 ATI Radeon graphivs cards 4800 (I think)
8gb RAM

I was thinking I would upgrade my processor and graphics cards. I have been looking at an Intel Core i7 or i5 processor and NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card.

I can't afford a new desktop, I mainly use it for games and internet for now (add school in a couple months). I'd like to stay around $700-800 or less.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading my desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading my desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Recheck and verify, etc.
by Willy / March 3, 2012 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Upgrading my desktop

You MUST BE 100% sure what your mtrbd. is capable of with cpu upgrades. Otherwise, this is all a mute point. Once you understand and the specs suggest what can be done, then you need to find the proper fit. As for the GPU, that is a separate item and can be upgraded, again to what your current PC can handle. In many cases the PSU has to be replaced to best handle any new power demands and/or maintain stable outputs, NOT just the peaks. These are areas of concern and shouldn't be taken for granted, know what needs to be done.

While, you provided PC details, you offered nothing in the actual mtrbd. model# or if this is an OEM system. It all matters for a better answer. Full details and you MUST know what you have in order to best upgrade your needs. I have used PC Wizard 2011(maybe 2012 now) for system details and specs, good to have pgm..

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Some clarification
by newmanchris84 / March 4, 2012 10:18 PM PST

My computer is a Dell XPS, I bought it in 2009ish.

Motherboard info:

Product- 0PP150
Version- AOO
Serial- CN7082185O5145

My cards are PCI Express, 2 of 4 are used

Collapse -
Know what you got, inspect and verify
by Willy / March 4, 2012 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Some clarification

Quite frankly, while the XPS is a capable PC, it may not offer the full range of cpu upgrades. Find out the mtrbd. true maker and follow the info to get the full specs, such as socket, current cpu, etc., then visit the cpu maker to follow-up on what that class of cpu falls-in. The group it's part of suggest the upgrades, but not all of them can be installed. Next, I would install the latest bios update which in turn provides greater support and flexibity of cpu upgrades. What makes somewhat less felixble is that the XPS is Dell maker, thus OEM. OEM,s tend to be restrictive and your only hope is through Dell, etc.. releases, updates, etc.. While it can be done, it becomes a PITA to proceed. jhe bios updates helps but even that is still cloated in limited flexibility. It's far better to just pitch the mtrbd. and install a more user-friendly gamer type mtrbd. that basically is already set to go, it's not locked down as it were, its more open to changes, etc..

Here's what I would do with what you got or more immediate upgrades. Increase ram, but only what you need, don't over stuff it. Next, replace PSU with a more capable one that matches the needs of the GPU upgrade. That's a better power fit as GPU replacements offer better apparent end results, but they are power hungry. Last and NOT to be left out, increase cooling or assure cooling is well taken of.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Continued Help
by newmanchris84 / March 20, 2012 4:40 AM PDT

I figure I'll replace the GPU, processor, and motherboard if needed over this summer, plus anything else that I need to. I'm looking at an Intel i7 processor (maybe i5) and EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked GPU.

My questions are, with these upgrades should I go ahead and replace my motherboard? If so what brand/spec suggestions would you make.

Should I go with one GPU or two? I have two right now.

If I make these upgrades, should I also upgrade the cooling and power supply?

Also, what should I replace first?

All Answers

Collapse -
For gaming...the biggest bang for your buck is
by VAPCMD / March 4, 2012 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrading my desktop

usually in the the video/GPU. The only thing you need to consider is the power supply.....the higher end GPUs typically require more wattage/AMPs from your power supply. You just can't install a super-duper-GPU without a good PSU to support it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.