Windows 7 forum

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 between computers

by fredflintstone12 / October 28, 2013 1:30 AM PDT

I've read the FAQs and threads regarding most of the upgrade questions but I think my question is still unanswered.

Situation: I have a desktop PC running Vista (Home Premium). I have a laptop PC running Windows 7. I intend on discarding the laptop. It did not come to me with any disks.

Desire: Move the Windows 7 software off the laptop onto the desktop thereby replacing Vista.

How should I do this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 between computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 between computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
If the laptop
by itsdigger / October 28, 2013 1:34 AM PDT

came with Win 7 installed as OEM , you can't transfer it over to the desktop , only if you have the retail version can you do that....Digger

Collapse -
The OEM license dies with the machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2013 1:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
by fredflintstone12 / October 28, 2013 1:53 AM PDT

My thanks to Digger and Bob for the prompt replies. I am having someone ask about whether or not the software is OEM or installed by the company.

For the sake of discussion let's assume it is not OEM. Could I do it?

Should I take out the hard drive and install it in the desktop? And then do something further?

Collapse -
Don't think so
by itsdigger / October 28, 2013 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Follow-on

because you'd be making a system image disk of the laptop and that won't work on the desktop. You's best bet is to purchase a Windows 7 upgrade like this-> or if ya want to cheat just purchese and OEM disc that's only good for the one time install like this -> . Hope this helps...Digger

Collapse -
If it's installed by the maker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2013 2:12 AM PDT

It's an OEM license. If it's not OEM, you could use it's CD-KEY and get the full ISO from Digital River but frankly I have yet to see any laptop with a full license that allowed such due to the cost involved.

You can google the usual "Digital River Windows 7 SP1 DVD" just like everyone and the CD-KEY would be on the machine but you would be repeating what others have done and failed many times.

But from what I see, folk don't want this answer and want to try anyway so why not give them the shotgun since they won't blow off their foot?

Collapse -
If this is a work machine
by Jimmy Greystone / October 28, 2013 11:04 AM PDT

If this is a work machine, you don't want to be doing anything as major as upgrading the OS without getting the blessing of the company IT department first. At a lot of companies, what you're proposing is a great way to find yourself looking for a new job.

If it's a work machine, just let the company IT department deal with it. I know IT types have a reputation for being control freaks and everything, but the truth is there's a very good reason for that. People have a tendency to just kind of shut down the more analytical parts of their brains when put in front of a computer and do all manner of stupid things that they would never do in almost any other context. So while the better overall solution would be to figure out a way to keep people from turning into drooling idiots when put in front of a computer, that could take years of education and companies need to figure out how to protect themselves against employees doing stupid things in the interim. Like, say, upgrading the OS without making sure all the software will work properly, working out details involved with licensing, there's all manner of security threats to consider, having to support a mixed platform environment means more work for the IT staff and so on. If this is a work machine, do not touch the software configuration on it.

Collapse -
The only way to do it legally is
by orlbuckeye / October 28, 2013 10:58 PM PDT

is it's a retail version of Windows 7. The OEM version is the one that the computer makers install. The retail version is the one sold at Best Buy and other retail outlets with Microsoft packing and support. Now you can purchase OEM versions from places like Tiger Direct and Newegg and these licenses are tied to the processor/mobo they are installed on. The retail version the license is transferable to another mobo but you can run both at the same time. MS changed the OEM process with Windows 8 the have split it into a systems builder license (not for personal use) and personal use license.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.