Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Upgrading from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Ultimate

by jhcy / October 24, 2009 1:24 AM PDT

I just purchased a PC with Win 7 Home Premium pre-installed. In the meantime, I was able to purchase a copy of Win 7 Ultimate through my campus bookstore for a good price! How do I go about upgrading from Home Premium to Ultimate? Both versions are 64-bit.I do have a physical disk with Win 7 Ultimate. So, please do not direct me to Microsoft's Universal Upgrade Program for Win 7.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Ultimate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Ultimate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it's anything like
by Jimmy Greystone / October 24, 2009 1:46 AM PDT

If it's anything like previous versions of Windows, you can just pop the disc in the drive, and it will ask you if you want to upgrade.

Alternately, since the computer you bought with Win7 can't be more than a few days old, you could just decide to blow away Win7 Home Premium and load on Win7 Ultimate. How much could you have possibly done to customize it in the space of a couple days that you couldn't redo in very short order?

Collapse -
Which version of W7 Ultimate?
by jnsturges / October 24, 2009 10:05 PM PDT

"I was able to purchase a copy of Win 7 Ultimate through my campus bookstore for a good price!"

Read the W7U DVD label carefully to see if it's a Full Retail, OEM or Upgrade version. It may make a difference.

That said, step one is to Read your PC User Manual (RTFM) to learn how to BURN your Vista Recovery DVD(s), and to learn how to backup all your Personal Data, FIRST, just in case things "go terribly wrong".

Then, Cold Boot the W7U DVD, and do NOT choose the "Upgrade... Option", but select the "Custom Install" option, instead. Then, choose the W7H partition, and just follow the prompts. It will replace W7H AND format the hard drive, wiping out everything.

When done, finish all Windows Updates (it should find all the required Device Drivers), Restore your Back Up files, re-install all apps, and you're W7U will be "good to go".

TIP: Go to the PC Manufacturer's website, if there are any missing Device Drivers.

Collapse -
Stop scaring people
by Jimmy Greystone / October 25, 2009 12:28 AM PDT

Stop scaring people needlessly.

It's an academic version, so it's a specially priced "full" retail copy.

Backing up is a good idea, but it's something people SHOULD be doing as a matter of habit anyway.

I still don't get why you suggest people do a clean install. It should be possible to just update in place, and save the hassle of reinstalling everything.

I get that you're trying to help and all, and it's a noble thing, but you need a little more time before you're ready for things like this. You're suggesting a lot of needless things, don't know about academic versions, etc. Just give it a little more time, and when you've built up a bit more experience, I'm sure you'll have some useful things to contribute.

Collapse -
Great Advice
by enyaw79 / June 21, 2012 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Stop scaring people

this is great adviceand should be taken to heart.heres what i recommend to all my clientel yes on the main drive you can do a clean install to save space however i give them the same advice as to purchase a 1terrabyte or more hard drive and back up all information on it first this way you dont loose any imprtant information or pictures.have a great day

Collapse -
Easier Method to upgrade
by EdCortes / October 26, 2009 2:51 AM PDT

Just use Windows Anytime Upgrade and specify that you have purchased a key, then enter the new key.

Collapse -
Upgrade to Windows7
by dandisnooks / May 1, 2010 11:32 PM PDT

I recently had a major crash and had to take my computer to the shop where the Hard Drive was formatted and my XP Pro was replaced and the New Windows7 Home Premium was installed which I like, but now would like to upgrade it to the Windows7 Ultimate.
Can I just put the Ultimate disc in the drive and it will reinstall without me loosing my Photos, Documents and my Outlook 2003 pst files
Please can anyone help me with this as I am a retired older gentleman learning this new computer business?
Also if I have a downloaded version on my Desktop could I use that.
Kind regards,

Collapse -
Actually it is pretty easy to do
by lacsr / May 2, 2010 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade to Windows7
Collapse -
More on Windows Anytime Upgrade here...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / May 3, 2010 8:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
by enyaw79 / June 21, 2012 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade to Windows7

I recommend this to all my clients. purchase a 1terrabyte or more external hardrive and back everything up so this way youre reassured it wont be lost i also recommend backing pictures up on discs so that you have a set to fall back on just in case something happens to the external and make another set to share with friends and family.hope this helps.have a great day

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.