Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Android

Question

Upgrading from ipod 3g, what to get?

by Nort_Thalem / November 3, 2012 4:21 PM PDT

Ive been using my ipod for a number of years now, but its looking like its time to upgrade. While the ipod was a big improvement over what I had before, the 7 and 10 inch android machines provide a better set of features for my tastes.

So my plan is to get a phone'ish sized android, but the choices are pretty much limited to a galaxy player or the nexus 4. After my last samsung receiving none of the promised updates and being a bait and switch product, Im leaning towards the more expensive nexus 4 if it can operate without a cell carier (I have a non-smart phone for calling).

However, while Im aiming for a smaller device, something more pocket friendly, a 7 inch table is not out of the question, but it has to have hdmi, usb otg or preferable a full sized usb port, preferably a replacable battery, good blutooth support, expandable memory, and maybe an ir blaster before Ill connsider it.

Any thoughts and recomendations on what device to get would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading from ipod 3g, what to get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading from ipod 3g, what to get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Updates.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 1:55 AM PDT

My advice today is to see if the device arrives with what you want. If not, keep shopping.

However the Samsung even with 2.2 makes a fine MP3 player. I don't see why I would need ice cream and jelly beans for playing MP3s.
Bob

Collapse -
replacing a pocket tool, not a music player
by Nort_Thalem / November 4, 2012 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Updates.

To clarify, I dont use my ipod touch for music, I use it primarily as a pocket computer for note taking, an alarm clock, web browsing, remote control for compatible devices, communication, etc. While I do occasionaly use it for music and videos, its more of my one stop shop for everything digital I do when Im away from my desktop computer, and carrying a bag for a tablet or laptop is proving to be a constant hassle. The more funtionality or ports it has, the better, since I am often working with different kinds of electronics. I dont mind something a little bigger if it adds more connectivity and ports.

Id like to upgrade to a machine that adds the extended funtionality of the android opprating system, I just need a machine with a good compliment of physical hardware and so far the nexus 4 is the best candidate so long as it will funtion without hooking it up to a cell carrier. I might grab a new 7 inch tablet instead if anyone knows of a good model that has a great number of features for the added size that the nexus 4 lacks.

Collapse -
My advice is the same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 2:04 PM PST

Do not get android devices and HOPE for upgrades to the OS. I can only guess you'll learn why this is my standing advice.
Bob

Collapse -
Im asking for hardware recommendations
by Nort_Thalem / November 5, 2012 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: My advice is the same.

Im asking for hardware recommendations for specific devices to consider upgrading to, the nexus 4 for example. Im not asking for advice on how to choose the device but what devices have a good combination of the features I mentioned.

Collapse -
At the office the winners are...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 1:46 PM PST

The Google Android and the Kindle Fire. We're only working on porting apps but these are my favs.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi. I received your email.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 12:29 AM PST

Sorry to upset you with advice. It's just that. Advice.

After watching folk complain bitterly about lack of updates and now, updates that create app issues, I now offer this advice.

I can see why it would upset those that want to sell product. But why would it upset folk that are shopping?
Bpob

Collapse -
O_o
by Nort_Thalem / November 13, 2012 10:49 AM PST

The problem isnt bad or upsetting advice, you seem to keep answering the questions Im not asking, and answering the same questions over and over despite my explaining Im well aware of the issues. The forum itself (or I should say my understanding of them) seems to aggrivate the issue because I cant seem to figure out how to reply to the topic itself without looking like Im trying to obligate you to respond, instead my responses get "directed" to you when Im just trying to reply to the thread itself, and keeps us going in a response loop of sorts.

As for the samsung machine I used in example, it wasnt a promise of future updates so much as a bait and switch. They represented the GT-P1010 as being the same device as their carrier equivelant without a contract or mobile data antanae, when it is inferiour to that machine in just about every way, and I found this out too late to send it back. Had it been what they told me they were selling me, it would have had everything in it I was promised and I wouldnt be disinterested in samsung products. The icing on the cake is that they still have not released updates for my USA region version of the device, despite the update being available for owners who got theirs in the philipines and UK, and that the UK and Phili versions of the software have been flashed with odin onto the USA versions and works just fine. The risk of bricking the device from inexperience is all that keeps me from doing it myself.

Im probably going to try my luck making a new topic with a different approach. Thank you for your time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.