PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Upgrading AMD dual core to quad core. Is it worth it?

by Guerito / March 26, 2010 10:36 PM PDT

Hi all.

I would like some opinions to settle a debate I am having with my brother. I have an AMD Phenom II x2, Black edition 3.1ghz, my brother has the Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz. I am happy with the CPU but he insists that upgrading to a 965 quad core would improve?everything! From all the info. I have read on numerous tech sites the only real advantage to having multiple cores is more efficient multi-tasking. I rarely have more than a game running, web browser and maybe Word at the same time and I switch between these without a problem. Apart from the speed increase is there a really good reason why I should upgrade my CPU? If I see any good reason to upgrade I am more than willing to do it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading AMD dual core to quad core. Is it worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading AMD dual core to quad core. Is it worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2010 2:49 AM PDT

The usual move past 2 cores is for apps that use it such as video rendering but not all things use this. I still picked a quad core for my work horse but I am writing apps in Visual Studio so I'll take any advantage I can find.

Collapse -
So that's.........
by Guerito / March 27, 2010 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Iffy.

...a 'not worth it' opinion Bob?

Collapse -
More like
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2010 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: So that's.........

Try "not worth IF" answer. If you are into video editing I'd give it a solid yes.

Collapse -
It all depends...
by Brechan / March 27, 2010 6:07 PM PDT

on what YOU are using this system for. If YOU are happy with what you have, then why shell out a few more of your hard earned cash for an extra 2 cores?
What's going to happen when AMD launches their 6-core CPU's, are you going to upgrade to that next?
You can get into a nasty (and needless to say, expensive) habit of ever upgrading your system; upgrade when the NEED arises, not when pressured by family or friends.

My vote is no.

Collapse -
Six cores???
by Guerito / March 28, 2010 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: It all depends...

Now, I really don't see any benefit there at all. The CEO of Intel in an interview on UK TV was quoted "...there is no reason to throw more cores on a CPU because there are very, very few applications that can utilise them. The only advantage for multi-cores is weather and genetic modelling that's why Intel are focusing on smaller transistor and die size." He goes on "...hopefully/eventually we will be able to incorporate the GPU, the graphics card itself, into the CPU."
If like most users 4 cores is more than enough, even excessive, where is the benefit for the home user especially when such a small minority of applications can utilize multiple cores? We're still having problems getting true x64 bit apps when the technology has been around for 10 years.

Collapse -
The problem with such statements
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2010 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Six cores???

Is that as time marches on, you find it's no longer true. Back in the 90's I had dual CPU machines and enjoyed smooth operations and all the rhetoric back then was fun to read as I was there and enjoying the ride while others debated more than one CPU topics.

Today I have the quad core and it's very nice for the work that I do. I would not change back.

Today I'm "there" with Windows 7 64 bit and not a single problem. Again I see all those that claim there are problems yet most of them are not "there." That is, they don't actually own, use or write software on such machines.

Collapse -
Bob, Bob, Bob.
by Guerito / March 28, 2010 6:18 AM PDT

Basically you?re saying don?t debate the issue just get the hardware and shut up because if we owned the hardware then we wouldn?t debate whether or not we should get it, we would be ?there? with you Bob. I use Windows 7 x64 but only have dual core so I ain?t quite there am I?
It?s nice you enjoyed the ?rhetoric back then?? and it was fun for you to sit back and ?enjoy the ride? but now you?re a moderator on a tech support site and should realise that the people that write in are looking for advice before they spend their hard earned cash and most of them don?t ?own, use or write software on such machines? because they need advice whether to buy such machines or not.
This isn?t the first time you?ve ?looked down? on people that write in asking for help, I remember your previous replies to me.

Collapse -
Not at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob, Bob, Bob.

I think folk are being a dis-service here with all the nay sayers about dual or more cores and Windows 7. It's a shame to see folk peddling that dated P4 running XP today.

It is truly an injustice to advise someone to pay for such outdated gear and a cranky old OS.

What do you think?

PS. And I don't always give out get the latest advice. Read my post about that 228 buck netbook!

Collapse -
I think...
by Guerito / March 28, 2010 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Not at all.

?I don?t get you Bob. I?m a 100% sure you?re a smart guy with a mountain of experience. I myself having been ?in the business of computing since the 90s can empathise with some things you say but what are you talking about ?Nay sayers?? When was P4 running XP mentioned? This thread is not about ?advising someone to buy outdated gear?, what outdated gear are we discussing in this thread?
C?mon Bob what?s your real reason for not giving a s**t?

Collapse -
Start your new discussion please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2010 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I think...

I mentioned the P4 and XP as an example of the usual rain from those that bring out that we shouldn't be progressing so fast or writing about the new great stuff.

This thread is all about "gear".

Here's my challenge. Dive in and help others out. Write something great that I can put into a forum sticky!

Collapse -
End of discussion.
by Guerito / March 28, 2010 7:11 AM PDT

I?m with you Bob, it should all be about new gear, I didn?t realise you considered the AMD Phenom IIs as old hat. Silly me. I guess you don?t work on the XP or Vista forums of CNET.
I have helped and do help others out whenever I can. What?s with the ?sticky??

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.