Computer Help

Resolved Question

Upgraded my PC and WONT TURN ON!!! please help.

by megha360 / February 14, 2013 4:14 AM PST

I bought a bunch of new stuff for my pc basically everything but a psu and tower. and i put everything together yesterday and it didn't power up at all i don't know a lot about computers but i thought i knew enough to put one but i think its the motherboard please help and thank you for your time.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V

Graphics Card: EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz

CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

PSU: APEVIA JAVA ATX-JV650W 650W ATX12V

megha360 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgraded my PC and WONT TURN ON!!! please help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgraded my PC and WONT TURN ON!!! please help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by megha360

Collapse -
(NT) Did you test the system outside the case ?
by VAPCMD / February 14, 2013 9:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes
by megha360 / February 14, 2013 4:20 PM PST

I did try that and it still didn't work and thank you for help

Collapse -
NO GO
by pgc3 / February 15, 2013 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

Is there any light(s) showing..specifically PSU? Assuming everything is compatible and that you have checked all of your connections and the main power source to the unit...hmmmm.. if there is nothing from the PSU(light) I'd wonder if that might not be the issue. Given what you have said, that's the first thing I would check. It may well be a problem with the MB but first things first.

Collapse -
yes
by megha360 / February 15, 2013 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: NO GO

There are no lights the psu but there is a light on the MB when I plug in the power

Collapse -
Just make sure you connect only what's necessary to test the
by VAPCMD / February 15, 2013 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: yes

MB, CPU, RAM, etc., outside the case. The point is to make sure the CPU and MB work because once the MB is mounted it possible it could be shorting out in the case.

Is the CPU fan turning on ?

Is the power supply fan turning on ?

Exactly what's plugged in ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
No
by megha360 / February 15, 2013 10:37 AM PST

no nothing is turning on not the psu, cpu fan i just plugged in the psu a stick of ram and the cpu and fan are already in it when its in the case but ill try it out of the case again

Collapse -
You need to get it working outside the case first
by VAPCMD / February 15, 2013 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: No

before remounting it inside the case.

You don't want anything more than necessary plugged in to the MB than absolutely necessary...the 2 PSU connectors, the POWER ON switch from the case, the CPU FAN should be plugged in to the MB, 1 stick of RAM, etc.,

If you haven't done so....you should do the PSU test Bob suggested as the PSU should turn on when you power up. Make sure the PSU swtich (if any) is on and the voltage switch is set correctly.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
WON'T TURN ON
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 7:17 AM PST

I'm going to ignore all other clues for a moment and share a story about a motherboard documentation errror that resulted in half the boards not turning on.

The documentation indicated that a certain pair of pins was the HD LED when in fact it was a reset pin. Since an LED is a DIODE they had a 50-50 chance of holding the board in reset. So far if you look at the board, the screen printing is always right. So far.

Also, don't install too much to test for power up. You only need the motherboard and the PSU to power up. Everything else is optional. Even the CPU. If you can't power up a board then you are looking at two possible bad or mis-configured parts.

I can test a PSU with the "GREEN WIRE PSU TEST." (see google.)

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
thanks for trying to help
by megha360 / February 16, 2013 2:16 AM PST

Thanks guys but I figured it out I had to reset the cmos but thank you guys anyways

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback. The lesson is ALWAYS bench test
by VAPCMD / February 16, 2013 5:26 AM PST

a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc., BEFORE mounting it inside the case. Mounting the MB in the case and connecting more stuff only adds to the list of things that may make it appear as though the MB or CPU is DOA when it's not. Also much much easier to get to everything when it's on the bench vice inside the case.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.